Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/19/2008 6:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Kempo-Goju Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kempo-Goju Karate

The system is "meh", I started out in this system and am graded as a 2nd degree black belt, The school's sparring style is stuck in 1980's style of karate, and seems allergic to MMA.

It was a style founded by Charles Warren, a black belt in kempo karate and goju karate, he started teaching both styles together as "teh deadly" hybrid. It does, I believe, has ties to Rodert Trais, and Adrian Emparado, as influeces to Mr. Warrens style.

It is practiced as a semi-contact/point style of karate, with "grappling" limited to a few foot sweeps and leg trips, and NO ground game.
    self-defense is practiced thru one step sparring and waza.

Tom Hall was/is a Kempo-goju black belt that was a successful contender with a winning record in the PKA in the late 70's/ early 80's, who had some good bouts with "bad" Brad Hefton. Tom Hall did in fact, beat the Legandary Joe Lewis in PKA.

I think as far as "Karate" goes, it's better than most, but it's no where near Muay Thai or good solid Boxing. Lack of a solid cohesive ground game is another BIG problem.

They do list Jay Wilson as a Kempo-Goju black belt, and he in fact is a kickboxer, but he fights out of sanjira Muay Thai, and wins with Muay Thai, so IMO you could'nt use "Kempo-Goju FTW" in his fights.

They do have a fairly traditional link to a ryu for the short staff, and if traditional kubudo floats your boat, then it's o.k., but it aint no "Dog brothers" pack gathering.

The one million dollar question, "is it worthwhile?"

It's O.K., It's not bad karate.

It's not MMA, but that's o.k., not everything HAS to be MMA.
    Last edited by milwaukee cop; 1/13/2009 1:24pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/04/2008 3:31am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: goju ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    kempo goju is a great system.it has a strong goju ryu feel but it also has a fast shotokan or excuse me kempo pace what i mean by that is 3-4 technique combo and get the hell out of there.my opinion on kempo-goju the best way to explain it is it's similar to shito-ryu.and there are only a handful of the kempo-goju people that are familar with all of the katas(from goju-ryu and kempo)that is one hell of a task and accomplishment in my opinion.every person that walks in one of there dojos and makes 1st dan they definately earn it.i've been a ronin since 2003 and all of the kempo-goju senseis took me in and made me part of their family.i've trained all over the country with many senseis and kempo-goju senseis rank up there with senseis like kubota,nishiamma,higaonna,gushi,and demura and are every bit as humble.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/04/2008 3:54am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: goju ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    in response to milwaukee cop.herb i don't like you and never really did.come to think of it i don't think anyone does.you're a bullshitter and you're goofy.i understand you might have trained with sensei sabir but you ain't no shodan with him.your stances are all wrong you don't know any katas,you're too stiff,and your defense is terrible.it's sickning to read all that **** you write about all the kempo-goju people.personally i think they feel sorry for you that's why none of the so called goofs with beer bellies like myself haven't gutted you like a fish while sparring in the dojo or stuck a thumb in your eye or drove your balls into the roof of your mouth with a mae geri.do you know what a mae geri even is.let me give you a little advice keep your mouth shut because you make an ass out of yourself every time you open it,and another thing stay on your side of the tracks and the karate people will stay on theirs.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/04/2008 8:11am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    blah,blah,blah
    16 years till retirement.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    10/04/2008 8:21am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by black tony
    in response to milwaukee cop.herb i don't like you and never really did.come to think of it i don't think anyone does.you're a bullshitter and you're goofy.i understand you might have trained with sensei sabir but you ain't no shodan with him.your stances are all wrong you don't know any katas,you're too stiff,and your defense is terrible.it's sickning to read all that **** you write about all the kempo-goju people.personally i think they feel sorry for you that's why none of the so called goofs with beer bellies like myself haven't gutted you like a fish while sparring in the dojo or stuck a thumb in your eye or drove your balls into the roof of your mouth with a mae geri.do you know what a mae geri even is.let me give you a little advice keep your mouth shut because you make an ass out of yourself every time you open it,and another thing stay on your side of the tracks and the karate people will stay on theirs.

Herb (?) may or may not be an ass, and his stances and kata may suck. But stances and Kata should not define an art or validate or invalidate claims of said art.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/04/2008 8:30am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i recieved my shodan and nidan from Muhhamid Sabir in Kempo-Goju, thats a fact. I know all the taikyoku and pinan series as well as gayryu, siechun, sanchin, and Tensho. Big deal.
    anything else?

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/04/2008 8:31am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    in response to milwaukee cop.herb i don't like you and never really did.come to think of it i don't think anyone does.you're a bullshitter and you're goofy.i understand you might have trained with sensei sabir but you ain't no shodan with him.your stances are all wrong you don't know any katas,you're too stiff,and your defense is terrible.it's sickning to read all that **** you write about all the kempo-goju people.personally i think they feel sorry for you that's why none of the so called goofs with beer bellies like myself haven't gutted you like a fish while sparring in the dojo or stuck a thumb in your eye or drove your balls into the roof of your mouth with a mae geri.do you know what a mae geri even is. letme give you a little advice keep your mouth shut because you make an ass out of yourself every time you open it,and another thing stay on your side of the tracks and the karate people will stay on theirs.

Goju you highlighted the wrong part.

Anyway, how about you (B.Tony) defend the school without personal attacks or is that to much to ask?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2008 11:32am

Style: Kenpo & Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If this is how you represent your school and speak to those who offer their opinions, I can understand why it is that MC left.

The simple fact is that he offers an even handed review that does not engage in personal attacks and compares the system and teaching to other schools and arts and offers his personal opinion with caveats about his own feelings and biases. You come out blazing and threatening him with physical violence?? Is that how this school operates?

If you are a Shodan in this system and are speaking as a representative of the school, you should be ashamed of yourself. Any shodan who acted like that in any school that I was a part of would have his ass busted out so fast it would make his head spin.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/10/2008 3:31pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    according to Black Tony's rambling post, he is a black belt from Goju- ryu, who has been training with Kempo-Goju since 2003.

I dont recall meeting him, but Iv'e seen worse from my old school.

Dont get me wrong, there are some guys I respect, but like anywhere else, they have thier fair share of asshats.

If you live in the Wisconsin area, I suggest you watch a class or two and talk to some yundansha, and come to your own conclusion.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/10/2008 4:17pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    fixed or Black Tony

" kempo goju is a great system, it has a strong goju ryu feel but it also has a fast shotokan ,or excuse me kempo pace .

what i mean by that is ,3-4 technique combo and get the hell out of there. my opinion on kempo-goju , the best way to explain it is it's similar to shito-ryu.

there are only a handful of the kempo-goju people that are familar with all of the katas(from goju-ryu and kempo)that is one hell of a task and accomplishment in my opinion.

every person that walks in one of there dojos and makes 1st dan they definately earn it.i 've been a ronin since 2003 and all of the kempo-goju senseis took me in and made me part of their family.

i've trained all over the country with many senseis and kempo-goju senseis rank up there with senseis like kubota,nishiamma,higaonna,gushi,and demura and are every bit as humble."

Try breaking uo into paragraphs or bullet points,
    and speaking of points, try to have one.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast