Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 9:17pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Soo Bahk Do/Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Master Jay S. Penfil Seminar review

For those of you who don't know him or haven't heard of him, Master Jay Penfil, he is a 7th Dan in Tang Soo Do and holds ranking in various other Japanese and Chinese styles. His biggest contribution is his interpretation and applications of the techniques hidden within the Hyung/Kata. This weekend, he held a seminar at his Dojang in Novi, Michigan. Errant and I were at the same seminar. Here's a quick review of the seminar.

If anyone has more thoughts or more to add, PLEASE feel free to jump in, there was a HUGE amount of information passed along and I am patiently waiting on the DVD to be sure I don't lose any of it.

I arrived on Friday afternoon and went directly to the school where UpNorth and I trained with Master Dave Frizzell, who is one of Master Penfil's senior student. Master Frizzell quickly proved himself to be an OUTSTANDING practitioner and fighter. He worked with us on the ground a lot, some basic grappling and counters. Then we moved into some basic form applications and discussed the difference between Korean and Japanese styles and how it affects the application.

Once everyone showed up, we started working with applications of basics. The biggest take away for me here was that all of our techniques have value. The basics that we do ARE NOT useless and without combat application. Everything is there, you just have to know how to find it. We started working with Low Block and High block. Basically, the transition movement where the hips turn and arms cross is the block. The low block that we normally think of is actually a strike. This also introduced the concept of the opposite hand. Master Frizzell and Master Penfil introduced the Idea that if your opposite hand is coming back....there's something in it. It can be a wrist lock, a grab, a pull, many things...but that opposite hand has something in it.

From there, we worked on some basic applications of the Hyung. Bassai, Kicho Hyung Il Bu, Pyang Ahn Ee Dan, etc. This spilled over into the next day a lot. I was particularly AMAZED that we pulled 4 or 5 applications out of just the opening movement of Pyang Ahn Ee Dan, all of which were VERY effective combat applications in my opinion. Throughout the day Saturday and Sunday, we hit more basics, a great deal of combat forms applications as well as some other style influences. We got into some basic Wing Chun applications, like the Pok Sau and Bong sau and how it applies to what we do now. Also an awesome session in the Korean style Iron Wheel Fist, which is a much more chinese influenced Korean style taught to us by a Buddhist disciple, Beopsa Jaeger who is learning it directly from the buddhist monks.

Some of the biggest take aways for me...

Just how much is really there. You can get so much out of what we already know if you know where to look. The stuff we know is all good, it is just more deep that we generally look. You have to be willing to find it.

The influence of other styles is a good thing. It helps to show just how similar we all really are and really helps to show new ways to use what you already know. THERE IS NO BAD STYLE. If you can find a way to make something work, then do it.

Economy of movement....the stuff is already there, the economy is built in to what we know. That transition isn't just a transition, it is a separate movement and has value as such. If a hand comes back, it is doing something. Dont' waste effort.....if you can get there by going straight, don't go around your body.

The concept of center. "He who controls the Center controls the fight." We did a lot of work with center. Not only controlling your own, but using it manipulate your opponent's and then using this to control the center of the fight.

There was SO much, I wish that I had the DVD to refer to now, to make this a lot more well rounded of a recap, but these are the basics of what we did in the seminar.

Now that doesn't mention the dinner at an INCREDIBLE greek restaurant, meeting Carbone Sensei, doing a wine tasting at his home, and some awesome new friendships and information sharing. I will add more as I work with the stuff and things come back to me.

Posted On:
    8/30/2008 12:11am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: tang soo do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Glad everyone enjoyed the seminar

I am very pleased everyone enjoyed the seminar, we will definately plan another here shortly.

Dave Frizzell