• Register
Our Sponsors:

1. --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

HIV Testing in Texas Combat Sports

Posted on Mon, Nov. 10, 2003

Texas to start HIV testing for boxing and combative sports

Associated Press

AUSTIN - Boxers and other participants in combative sports will be required to pass blood tests for HIV and hepatitis before participating in any event starting Jan. 1.

Also, the Texas Commission of Licensing and Regulation will appoint a medical advisory board for combative sports that will recommend additional safety standards for fighters, ringside officials and physicians.

For example, the board will determine how long a fighter must wait between bouts after a knockout.The new rules and blood testing were directed by the Legislature in the spring.

They apply to all combative sports in which blows are routinely exchanged, such as boxing, kickboxing or elimination tournaments.

The blood-testing rules do not apply to football, said agency spokesman Patrick Shaughnessy."While some people would consider (football) to be combat, it is not a combative sport," he said.

ON THE NETTCLR rules:
    http://www.license.state.tx.us/sports/sportsprop.htm.
    http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/7227580.htm

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    11/11/2003 2:26am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They´re just bringing this in now? I´m not really in the know about these events, but isn´t this kinda thing standard for fight events? How could it not be?

WEIGHTING

Posted On:
    11/11/2003 7:44am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That was my thought also but you know..."civil liberties" "discrimination"...I find it strange that this is news unless Texas is one of the "last" to do this. When I used to fight (years ago as amateur) there was never any discussion of this type of test being required.

Wandering Daoist

Posted On:
    11/12/2003 12:08am

supporting member
     Style: Karate, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Football isn't combat? What the hell is that guy talking about?

In football, the object is for the quarterback, otherwise known as the field general, to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the defense by hitting his receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the blitz even if he has to use the shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack that punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy's defensive line.
    "The morning glory blooms for an hour. It differs not at heart from the giant pine, which lives for a thousand years."

The REAL thread killer

Posted On:
    11/13/2003 9:24pm

Style: World 10-3 Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote George Carlin next time dude I dont think everyone knows that routine.
    "The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time."

-- George Bernard Shaw

lord of the glen

Posted On:
    11/14/2003 5:39am

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    apparently the chance of contracting blood bourne diseases in sports such as grappling is almost nonexistant tho
    CLICK THE ADDS ROMO!

This chapter will also show clips from a high-speed video in which Master Bristol conceals a Swiss Army Knife inside his buttocks. -from "The Magicians Code" by Hans Bristol

WEIGHTING

Posted On:
    11/14/2003 9:16am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Serious or joking?

lord of the glen

Posted On:
    11/15/2003 3:37am

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    fully serious, i will try and find some articles
    CLICK THE ADDS ROMO!

This chapter will also show clips from a high-speed video in which Master Bristol conceals a Swiss Army Knife inside his buttocks. -from "The Magicians Code" by Hans Bristol

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/17/2003 5:27am

Style: Big Cans O' Whoopass!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would say it isn't impossible - but highly unlikely, and there is just a much of a chance in a fight as in some other sports - hockey - football etc.

I don't necessarily have a problem with it, but it pretty much eliminates last minute entries which takes all the fun out of it!

Posted On:
    11/20/2003 2:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is an excellent idea and should be promoted. Every MMA event (and contact sport event for that matter) should have mandatory HIV testing before the events occur.

They´re just bringing this in now? I´m not really in the know about these events, but isn´t this kinda thing standard for fight events? How could it not be?
    not at all to the best of my knowledge, at least not MMA events...
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.