Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2008 5:07pm

Style: Capoeira, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's sad man...I feel bad for the guy's family. Indeed, it's a dangerous game. But damn, it's just a game and some of these fools take advantage of it to prove how "badass" they are. They don't ever have a chance to realize that it isn't an effective way to fight. It kinda reminds me of my cousins and I beating each other up in the backyard when we were kids. No training, just brawling for the sake of brawling.

Most Capoeiristas now only experience fighting others in the roda, in the pretext of the game. It's too damn easy to sucker punch someone or just give them a straight kick at the right time. That doesn't take any skill at all. So they think they are invincible, and stories and legends are built from situations like this. "Dude, some kid got killed in the roda last week by Gigante...What a scary fighter!" When it was just a lucky, cheap, uncontrolled shot that cost someone their life. For what?

You enter a cage with a somewhat realistic notion that you might not ever leave it. It can happen. But to enter a roda and be killed by a cheap shot? To betray the memory of those that used the true Capoeira (the philosophy and mentality) to free themselves from real oppression and a life of constant danger; that is shameful. They fought then so the Capoeiristas of today wouldn't have to. We play Capoeira today in large part to honor the memory of those that died before us...

I'm so pissed when I hear about someone dying in the roda. Accidents happen, sure. But these rodas with no self control or respect or sportsmanship make me sick.

Modesty forbids more.

Posted On:
    3/24/2008 9:27am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ newbie.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I donīt like cheap shots either, specially in a roda where you are supposed to avoid hard contact. But some rodas are actually rather hardcore, arenīt they...and accidents do happen.

Personally I donīt see anything wrong with rougher rodas, as long as everyone knows what they are getting into; itīs not as if capoeira didnīt have a bloody story, after all (what with the maltas and such).

Some more examples of hardcore capoeira. Sadly, I donīt see much technique when things get hard.

http://br.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qepOe5-NxY4

http://br.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWjuw2bw1ZE

http://br.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GALA-WmCNHw
    That civilisation may not sink,
    Its great battle lost,
    Quiet the dog, tether the pony
    To a distant post;
    Our master Caesar is in the tent
    Where the maps are spread,
    His eyes fixed upon nothing,
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Posted On:
    3/24/2008 4:33pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man I took a few cheap shots just because i saw the opening, but it never was meant as an offensive attack. I just tapped the guy like "hah gotcha!" so it was all in good fun. I agree very much with what doninha said.

Posted On:
    3/26/2008 9:02pm

Style: Judo Sandbagger

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the comparative Capoeira history lesson. Much different than what I had been shown.

Never got use to the rule changes when I tried to sparr my roomate who had lived in Rio for a few years. The fluid rules always worked in his favour, but he had lousy timing...obviously lucky for me.

Still cant get that "barra ba day" song out of my head from 12 years ago.

Posted On:
    8/12/2010 5:55pm

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Capoiera Brawl II

YouTube- Capoeira Demo Turns Into Huge Brawl After Body Slam

Funny how easily one can see the difference between dance and a real fight isn't it?

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    8/13/2010 7:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    was it too much to expect something from only the strong?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2010 8:40pm

Style: ASU Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was invited to a big meet in San Francisco, supposededly all kinds of high levely guts were there from all over the place. I went just to watch, knowing nothing about it at the time, my friends had studied in Hawaii and were all excited to see this big event. Anyway I had to back down out of three fights as somone just watching in the stands. Every time I left the stands to go to the john, or get a drink some dude would bump me, put an elbow in my face talk **** right in my face ect. It was crazy the amount of macho bullshit that was going on. The same thing went on for other spectators I talked to. Batshit crazy man. I lost total respect for the art the first time I saw it. It was like going to a Raiders game.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456