Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Modesty forbids more.

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 4:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ newbie.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quite frankly, I am aware of no high "cultural" reason for the cheap shots and the brawls. I´d just say some of those guys had grudges against some of the other guys and they decided to take it out in the roda.

By the way, "malícia" is nowhere near chi/ki/whatever in terms of complicated & exotic foreign terms, and it is not usually a justification for cheap shots, even in a roda. Quite frankly, gentlemen, those guys fought because they are all aggressive, athletic males in their early twenties with no ***** around.

"Malícia" my ass, they just wanted some violence.
    That civilisation may not sink,
    Its great battle lost,
    Quiet the dog, tether the pony
    To a distant post;
    Our master Caesar is in the tent
    Where the maps are spread,
    His eyes fixed upon nothing,
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 4:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WingChun Lawyer
    Quite frankly, I am aware of no high "cultural" reason for the cheap shots and the brawls. I´d just say some of those guys had grudges against some of the other guys and they decided to take it out in the roda.

By the way, "malícia" is nowhere near chi/ki/whatever in terms of complicated & exotic foreign terms, and it is not usually a justification for cheap shots, even in a roda. Quite frankly, gentlemen, those guys fought because they are all aggressive, athletic males in their early twenties with no ***** around.

Just like their malendro "ancestors" ...

I agree that malícia isn't complicated, it's just an aspect of capoeira that isn't obvious, especially to people who have only seen/experienced the more sanitized version(s).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 4:28pm

Style: Capoeira, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There was one great game in the there that represents good Capoeira, IMO. Check out between 2:55 and 3:16. The shirtless guy showed a headclap (telefone) at the beginning and a few well placed kicks without losing his game or having to resort to sparring his opponent. The other guy recognized the techniques, but was able to continue the game without having to brawl.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 4:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WingChun Lawyer

Good point. I didn't see much real trickery, now that you mention it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 4:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 4:44pm

Style: BJJ, Striking, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR
    As with most competitive unarmed combat styles, Capoeira is intentionally a stylized game, not a street fight. It's unusual in that, as shown in this clip, the "rules" and conventions of the game sometimes allow for street-fighting, up to a point (which is where the bystanders step in to break it up); more-or-less as a rite of passage and as a reminder that there are no rules in real fighting.
    I wasn't really arguing against your position. I can tell the difference between the street fighting and stylized games. When I was stationed in Japan, I briefly studied kendo. It was formalized and is essentially a stylized game of tag. Take the same style and have two people wailing on each other with shinai and it's no longer kendo. That was the point I was trying to make about it. I'm certain that sometimes things step outside of the lines of the style. I get that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 4:46pm

Style: BJJ, Striking, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doninha
    I liked the little guy that was grabbing the legs and pulling people down. That's pretty impressive.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 5:31pm

Style: systema/RMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    those are some big tough men that can move. I wouldn't want to experience any of their malicia outside of the roda.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 5:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL...I suppose we have malicia at my club, but it results in humiliation/a beating. It's not a regular part of training...what a bizarre tradition.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 6:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dont know what the rules or the agreements were amongst the fighters, but it seemed like there were alot of sucker punches and other **** going on there.

If both parties agreed then that is fine... But its annoying as hell when you agree to spar someone at 30% and they end up going at 70%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast