Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 12:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WingChun Lawyer
    Actually that "world dance" is pretty much what I see here in Brazil as well. Hardcore rodas like the one shown in that ideo are very rare, although the Muzenza group has been doing a great work in ressurecting hardcore capoeira.

If you guys are interested search for the words muzenza and capoeira at youtube. Although, frankly, the video I posted is probably much more violent than muzenzaīs sparring stuff, those are actual brawls.
    I saw a VHS tape showing a similarly hardcore jogo in Rio back in the early '90s; they were going at it hammer and tongs, though IIRC only one fight ended with bystanders having to break it up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 12:37pm

Style: BJJ, Striking, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seems like it loses any sort of stylized approach to fighting once they actually start trying to beat the snot out of each other. It seemed like any other G-n-P fight when they got down to it.

That little one was pretty impressive, though. That guy can move.

Modesty forbids more.

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 12:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ newbie.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained Muay Thai with a capoeirista. He said actual brawls are reasonably common in "mixed" rodas, i.e. rodas composed of players from different training groups - good old rivalry, pride and stupidity; itīs just that people rarely bring cameras.

Mind you, the video I posted is actually a batizado, a grading test so to speak, so we arenīt taliing about a mixed roda here. Those guys are very good, and I wonder if they do bagwork and such in everyday training.
    That civilisation may not sink,
    Its great battle lost,
    Quiet the dog, tether the pony
    To a distant post;
    Our master Caesar is in the tent
    Where the maps are spread,
    His eyes fixed upon nothing,
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 12:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 7thSamurai
    Seems like it loses any sort of stylized approach to fighting once they actually start trying to beat the snot out of each other. It seemed like any other G-n-P fight when they got down to it.

That little one was pretty impressive, though. That guy can move.
    "Getting down to it" depends on your perspective, based on the formal rules and unwritten conventions of the game/sport. The bystanders break these fights up when the fighters step outside the boundaries of what it considered "good play" in a capoeira batizado ("baptism", sort of a grading test/rite of passage).

They are obviously all playing hard, but the point of the fight is not just to GnP or sub the other guy, it's to win within capoeira rules, which recognize certain techniques such as kicks and footsweeps but only have a limited tolerance for wrestling and punching.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 3:04pm

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On the plus side they all looked like they were in good shape. I assume that's the case with most high level capoeiristas (sp?) given the extremely athletic nature of the sport. I've never been to the strip mall dojos but I read about ten thousand posts on here talking about obese instructors and students in MA, if nothing else I imagine that Capoeira has a much lower percentage of that kind of thing happening.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 3:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some of the guys were obviously just playing the game, only to get sucker punched or whatever. That's even more gay than dancing around IMO. If you're going to fight, then fucking fight, don't pretend you're dancing and then sidewinder some poor bastard...

Or is there some cultural aspect to sneakily changing the rules mid fight that I'm not getting?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 3:16pm

supporting member
     Style: boxing/muy thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    pretty impressive physical abilities.

and ditto to Lu Tze's question...what give?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 3:18pm

Style: MM to tha A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like how everyone temporarily lost their capoeiranesss once they got punched in the face.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 3:34pm

Style: Boxing, Greco, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have real difficulty in disinguishing Capoeira groups from Hare Krishnas. The safe bet is just to beat everyone singing and dancing in the street.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 3:41pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or is there some cultural aspect to sneakily changing the rules mid fight that I'm not getting?
    Malicio. It actually is kind of part of the game. I like the fact they could start fighting each other then let it go, and no one else even cared. You can tell its pretty common just by the way the crowd reacted. They only stopped playing the instruments when two guys crashed into them!

BTW, you rock Wingchun!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast