Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 2:56pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I respect everyone's culture & their alcohol.

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 2:56pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Except for the Dutch.

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 3:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MBuzzy
    I figure this is a good place to bash on Americans for their Korean pronunciation. Now...I'm a round eye myself. And my Korean is nowhere NEAR perfect.....but I like to think that I try. I spent a year there and I can honestly say that I've heard people say Gamsahamnida with a southern accent.....it is sad really. Maybe it can't be helped, but there's just no attempt there. Even in Martial Arts schools....you heard stuff like Char Eee Yoot (yes, three separate words) and when you correct them, all you get is "Well that's how [insert name of some influential Korean here] says it." Which to me says "I need an excuse for being an idiot," "I can't hear," or "[insert name of some influential Korean here] never spent a day of his life in Korea and doesn't speak the language." At the very least, make an attempt and when someone corrects you, DON'T say "You're my junior, you can't correct me." And for god's sake.....don't tell someone who speaks the language or has lived there and something is or isn't done or said in Korea.

KOREANS DO NOT SAY "Annyeong HaShimnika" to EVERYONE THEY MEET.

I don't see that language has much to do with proficiency in martial arts. I personally got annoyed when we got bogged down with pronunciation of words and so forth. I mean, it's just not that important where learning Martial Arts is considered.

I was there to learn to fight, I was not concerned with pronunciation. However, if I did pronounce these words regularly, and someone who speaks that **** corrected me, I'd probably listen. But, it's whatever, man. I mean, not everyone is going to learn Korean because they practice Korean Martial Arts. I think you're being slightly unfair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 3:05pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MBuzzy
    And I think cab drivers and anyone that works in a chinese place are assholes. Live in our country learn to speak our fucking language. Go to Korea, at least ATTEMPT to speak their language.

If you're going to try to use the Korean language, do it right.

So I guess none of you ever get pissed off when you can't even order chinese because they never learned a word of english, huh? You're right, I'm the asshole.....trying to respect someone's culture and all.
    I wouldn't call you an asshole, dude. But you're holding everyone to unfair standards. Not everyone is able to go to Korea for a year to learn the language. It's good that you did it, but you must understand that some people have to go to graduate school and ****. ****, I was so diappointed.
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 4:10pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I never made any generalized statements about an entire nationality. I called certain segments of a nationality "assholes". Go up & re-read what I said.

You don't wanna have to speak a handful of Korean words?

Don't fucking learn a Korean art.

It's that simple.

You wanna continue sounding like an idiot?

Fine, just don't get all pissy when people who actually know something offer you a bit of knowledge.

It's not about being a know-it-all, it's about people justifying their ignorance.

That is Bullshido.

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 4:18pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Spin it? Re-read what I said.

Did I say all Americans? No. It'd be kinda dumb for me to generalize against myself. I said Americans who exhibit certain behaviors or viewpoints are assholes. Thus, I made a statement against a specific segment of the population, not the entire population.

That's not spin, that's logic.

Do I need to diagram the sentence so you can undersand it?

How about instead of accusing people of what you think they're saying, you actually construct a valid counterargument.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 4:22pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Errant108
    No, he's educated.

Americans who act like they know what they're talking aout but in reality have no clue are assholes.

Americans who insist that they only have to learn one language & that everything conforms to their culture of ignorance are assholes.
    To be fair Errant it reads two ways. I see what you meant with the explanation but, my initial reading took it as lumping Americans into two categories.

Both categories ended with Americans being assholes.

Wakanoil what is you beef lately? Seriously, you have taken to being harsh as **** lately. It almost reminds me of a certain poster who started using a different handle.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 4:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Se-Jong TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At some point the words taekwondo, dojang, etc. became a part of the English language and then we do with them like we did with all the French, German, Greek and Latin words we added to our language.

I think correcting you instructor is rude even if his pronounciation is wrong. I hope he doesn't penalize you for having proper pronounciation.

My pet peeve is when people call every TMA karate.

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 4:53pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Like I give a **** if it concerns the question. He's a self admitted troll. He's barely a blip unless he is fucking up a MABS thread.
    Self admitted troll? **** you, man. You're a bad person and ****.

I'm in here trying to contribute and you guys keep trying to **** me. What's up with that, man?

I'm really just starting pointless arguments here to kill time. :laughing8
    See, here we have some "self admitted trolling", you double standard having ************.

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 5:50pm

Style: BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    want to edit my papers?
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast