Posted On:
    2/18/2008 9:21am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Haidong Gumdo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Haidong Gumdo General Questions

Hey there everyone!

I thought I'd start a general Haidong Gumdo thread!

I've been training in this martial art for quite a while... almost 8 years. I'm training in Seoul right now, and recently I was awarded my 3rd dan black belt. Don't worry, I'm not a KMA freak! I'm aware of the dubious historical claims and whatnot, and I'd love to talk about em. (This'll be a way for me to address those issues too!)

So... bring it on! Depite it's problems, I love this martial art. Does anyone have questions about it? Technique? Philosophy? History? Stance and motion? Forms? Comparison to other martial arts?

Disclaimer:
    Do not continue... until you know the friggin' difference between Kendo, Daehan Kumdo, and Haidong Gumdo. ^^

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 10:11am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Soo Bahk Do/Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm studying Haidong Gumdo here in the states. I have a question for you about your Korean training. I just got back from a year in Korea and trained in Tang Soo Do while I was there, but got back and learned that they teach it WAY different - at least different than the Federation. So I'm curious what your basic curriculum is there?

Kibon Dong Cha, Chuk Pal Gum, Gyuk Gum, Hyung, Kibon Baegi, plus paper, fruit, straw and bamboo cutting, with a little sparring thrown in. Do you guys share the same curriculum there? I've heard that some US schools don't do a lot of this.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 11:01am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At the headquarters generally they teach stretching, gibon donjak (basic cuts and stances), gumbup/hyung/forms, and cutting (newspaper, bamboo, fruit and jipdan/tameshigiri). Gyuck-gum point defence drills are as close as we get to sparring. Drawing and sheathing the sword is generally treated as part of the existing forms. (It's pretty much exactly the same curriculum that's on the website at eng.hdgd.org...)

-->The only thing I really wish they'd add is better gyuck gum applications. they're pretty weak on that. Like some of the stuff you see kashima ryu students doing? sweetness... *drools*

How is HDGD taught differently in the states? Is the material itself way different, or is it just stylistic? Are you a part of the World HDGD Federation or the Hanguk HDGD Fed?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 11:19am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    World HDGD Fed with Master Laura Clements. I really haven't seen too much of Korean stylists, so I'm not sure about the actual material. I'm only about 6 months in and I haven't been to any major events.

From what you said here, the biggest curriculum difference is the standardized Chuk Pal Gum, there are 12 (I think) of them, they are 10 step techniques for drawing and putting away the sword, and they do come directly from the forms, but there are a set of standardized ones. We also do one step, three step, and line gyuk Gum, along with applications. There is A LOT to learn there.....

We have 16 basic Kibon Dongjak and plus a bunch of advanced kibon dnogjak, but I'm not sure how many yet.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 1:35pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a question.

Do either of you have trouble getting the sword to stay under your trench coat?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 2:50pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They won't give me a real sword yet....I get a wood one. :(

You threaten to cut one person's head off....

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 9:36pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol
    On halloween I went as a ninja. So no. No trenchcoat you see... ^^

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 9:38pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MBuzzy.
    It sounds like our curriculums are *almost* the same. I'd like to see some of your 2 and 3 step sparring drills. You have any videos? *elbows* eh? eh?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 10:27pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unfortunately, no....I am working on making some though. I only get to train once a week, so I'm going to start taping myself so that I can practice more outside the Dojang. My master goes back to Korea a few times a year and is pretty high in the HDGD organization. she has the white Dobok that means she's on staff....so I'm trying to go back with her next time to meet people and train there.

As soon as I get some videos, I'll put them out there somewhere. I'd especially like to get your take on our basic movements and chuk pal gum.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/19/2008 1:45am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're coming to Korea sometime soon, maybe I'll see you here. If you visit the Jeongja dojang... msg me about it.

BTW, do you know what the deal is with the US HDGD website? That thing's been 'under construction' for a loooooooooong time now.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast