Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/21/2008 10:48pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Soo Bahk Do/Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is true, before you start breaking these things down this deep, it is very important to have the BASICs down first. Most of this stuff is reserved for higher level practitioners.

Posted On:
    2/21/2008 11:06pm

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's the point of basics if they can't be applied?

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    2/21/2008 11:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agreed. Maybe it takes a monk level enlightenment to understand, but I never enjoyed the SBD seminars where a master would pick apart one of those soo gi or jok gi and come up with some out of the box way of looking at it.

Because as great as the theoretical musings of a hadan mahk kee are (and I've been to a couple seminars where they picked it apart like your seminar), when it came down to it, I still didn't see any one use it in sparring afterwards.

The only justification for training it in my eyes was the huri, it trained stability and expansion/contraction with a specific type of hip torque - similar overall movement used in an ahneso pakuro chagi.

Posted On:
    2/21/2008 11:49pm

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalRage
    Agreed. Maybe it takes a monk level enlightenment to understand, but I never enjoyed the SBD seminars where a master would pick apart one of those soo gi or jok gi and come up with some out of the box way of looking at it.

Because as great as the theoretical musings of a hadan mahk kee are (and I've been to a couple seminars where they picked it apart like your seminar), when it came down to it, I still didn't see any one use it in sparring afterwards.

The only justification for training it in my eyes was the huri, it trained stability and expansion/contraction with a specific type of hip torque - similar overall movement used in an ahneso pakuro chagi.
    Yeah. I don't see the point of a move if it can't be applied the way it's taught. If you need to "pick it apart" to find the ways it can be used, you can likely find find a better, simpler technique to use or a different exercise that gets the same areas for a workout.

Still though, low block is one of the very few I actually use a lot in sparring, albiet from a kickboxing-ish stance.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2008 2:48pm

Style: TKD, wrestling, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a big fan of the K.I.S.S principle. Why try to find a zillion and one reasons to do the technique when the simplest is the best.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    2/22/2008 6:36pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The issue at hand here is that the "basics" aren't. The KISS principle Art ascribes to is absolutely right. Hyung are a tool for preserving a curriculum in a situation where you cannot or do not wish to preserve said curriculum via the written world.

If a given movement (and I'm just pulling this out of my ass, not actually providing bunhae for a technique) such as a low block is actually slipping and parrying a punch before responding with your own strike, then that's not basic. Its a curriculum. You have to provide the lesson plan.

The first technique in that series is slipping a punch So you first have to learn how to throw said punch. That's a basic. Drill throwing that punch on pads. Drill it with a partner. Put on gloves and head gear, work throwing that punch with footwork, working on your accuracy. Now that you know how to throw that punch, you can begin working on slipping it. Partner up, drill statically to get the gross motion. Add footwork and spontaniety in the attack's timing. Work in the parry, and see how you have to adjust your footwork and distancing if you intend to make contact with your opponent versus just getting out of the way. Now, work in the counter attack. Build on the timing, distancing, and footwork you've already learned. Learn how to weigh the benefits of slipping & countering versus parrying & countering. See what works best for you.

That's basics.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2008 2:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The first technique in that series is slipping a punch So you first have to learn how to throw said punch. That's a basic. Drill throwing that punch on pads. Drill it with a partner. Put on gloves and head gear, work throwing that punch with footwork, working on your accuracy. Now that you know how to throw that punch, you can begin working on slipping it.
    This is something that aggrivates me to no end and I would like to reiterate that there is no way possible to work a defensive tactic without being able to competently do the offensive technique.

Case in point to add to the above example. If you learn to sprawl without working a double/single/high crotch/leg attack you will be defending against a sub par attack which will produce a sub par sprawl which means someone who is actually proficient at said offensive technique is going to dump you on your head.

Great point Errant

Posted On:
    2/27/2008 2:25pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "High crotch"...

Well hello there...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2008 4:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honestly you can't defend the high crotch unless you can do the high crotch . . . it just takes a lot of practice and discipline and working on your own to correctly to get get with the high crotch . . . what were we talking about?

Posted On:
    2/27/2008 4:21pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mike Hawk.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast