Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2008 10:21pm

Style: default std

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihonto
    It's "Body Fortress" vanilla flavored powder. Got it at Walmart. I was mixing it with water according to instructions - didn't taste bad.

They said to use 1-2 scoops before and after workout. Took 1.5 then had lunch. About an hour later I did my usual sets of squats, press and dead-lift. By the end of that my stomach was empty. Took another 1.5 scoops. Then .... a few minutes ... rush to the throne ... hour goes by ... repeat. Ate as big a dinner as I could and am feeling ok now. But a bit nauseous still.

FYI: I am also taking Hydroxicut and amino-acid supplements. Oh yea ... Creatine too. Been taken those for a while with no problems.
    How are you with artificial sweeteners? Acesulfame K and Sucralose are both in here. Could you be reacting to them? And maybe it's me but why the Hydroxicut?

Is this the first time you've used whey protein (sorry if I missed that from your first post)... ? and you've not otherwise experienced lactose intolerance?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2008 10:27pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrt
    How are you with artificial sweeteners? Acesulfame K and Sucralose are both in here. Could you be reacting to them? And maybe it's me but why the Hydroxicut?
    Never had issue with artificial sweetners. And the Hydroxicut was to cut about 5-10 lbs to get in the weight class I wanted. I will probably be stopping since I am close to where I want to be, and it has given some issue with sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrt
    Is this the first time you've used whey protein (sorry if I missed that from your first post)... ? and you've not otherwise experienced lactose intolerance?
    Never lactose intolerance, but is is the first time I've used whey protein supps.

Posted On:
    2/17/2008 11:14pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Body Fortress has given me the same problems in the past.
    Try using Optinum nutritions whey protien (you can get a 10 lbs bag at bodybuilding.com for about 75 bucks) or try mixing Optinums w/BF until you run out of BF. Other good protiens are EAS,Prolab or GNC brand, Muscletech makes a good whey but its really expensive. Hope you feel better

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2008 11:19pm

Style: default std

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Never had issue with artificial sweetners. And the Hydroxicut was to cut about 5-10 lbs to get in the weight class I wanted. I will probably be stopping since I am close to where I want to be, and it has given some issue with sleep.

Never lactose intolerance, but is is the first time I've used whey protein supps.
    If you've not had issues with lactose intolerance before, I'd try a different brand out (just get a small container initially) - maybe something like this -
    http://www.country-life.com/moreinfo...Product_ID=334

Wholefoods supermarkets sell it, as does the Vitamin Shoppe. Stop your current product, give it a day, then try this and see if you have same issue. These guys make a good product, they're very focused on organics and limiting the number of artificial additives.

But if not this, just something different from a name brand like Cytosport or BSN, AST.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 12:37am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As usual, you guys are a great help. Thanks! I will try some of those other brands and see how it goes.

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 2:58am

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I second Optimum Nutrition. I'm working my way through AnyWhey flavorless.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 1:24pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's "Body Fortress" vanilla flavored powder. Got it at Walmart. I was mixing it with water according to instructions - didn't taste bad.

They said to use 1-2 scoops before and after workout. Took 1.5 then had lunch. About an hour later I did my usual sets of squats, press and dead-lift. By the end of that my stomach was empty. Took another 1.5 scoops. Then .... a few minutes ... rush to the throne ... hour goes by ... repeat. Ate as big a dinner as I could and am feeling ok now. But a bit nauseous still.

FYI: I am also taking Hydroxicut and amino-acid supplements. Oh yea ... Creatine too. Been taken those for a while with no problems.
    Body Fortress has 46g of protein/2 scoops. You should want to cut that in half for the time being until your body gets habituated to it. Some brands give you the gas, some others give you the ****, some don't give you anything at all.

I'll echo the recommendation of increasing your fiber intake, and I would also recommend you eat more yogurt. I used to be a walking factory of mustard gas and other chemical weapons whenever I took 50+g of protein. That changed by eating yogurt regularly and by reducing the amount of protein taken at any given sitting. Instead of drinking a shake with 50g at one time, I drink half, then wait for 2 hours before taking the other half.

Sometimes I still fart, but it's like a little, inocuous "blurp" thing, nothing the "BLRRRRUUUUUUPP POOP POOP POOP POOP POOP POOP BLURUBLURUBLURUPRRRRRRUUUUUUP" before I started eating yogurt.

Give it a try, and cut the amount of protein you are taking at every sitting. You can still the same amount per day, but just break it down to smaller portions.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2008 8:24pm

Style: BJJ, TKD, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've noticed a lot less gas and "loose stool" since I began taking a digestive enzyme complex with every meal, and when I get back to MRP's I will try it with them too. They really have made a big difference and I just use a cheaper GNC brand I believe. My IBS has improved leaps and bounds in general.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/21/2008 8:27pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing, Sub Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I mentally conflated this thread's title with the title of the thread below it on "dry heaves" and thought you said you got the "Dry runs" and I thought "Holy crap, that's the most horrible thing I've ever heard of!" :)

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    2/22/2008 2:31am

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to throw it out there, I drank 75g of protein from AnyWhey in two hours with about 48oz of fluid (brewed tea) on a totally empty stomach today and I had NO ill effects. It's a really fantastic, versatile protein. I've even baked it into brownies.

As for the concerns over "denaturing" the protein through heating it, consider the fact that you heat eggs to eat them, and that similarly denatures the protein. The properties changed through heating whey protein have nothing to do with amino acids, which are the building blocks for muscle.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast