Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/19/2008 4:52am

Style: TMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    With all the controversy surrounding James M. Mitose, as well as his system, I always get leary when discussing Kosho Ryu. Now, Hanshi Jushnick did demonstrate a technical proficiency in the art, but that's nothing to go on by itself. How much sparring has he done in the past. Has he ever had to put his **** to the test. There are a few good Kosho Ryu instructors out there, but check carefully before you sign up. Those good instructors have split with the association, grade on their own, and almost without exception, have trained in another art that spars heavily. The reason they stuck with Kosho Ryu is that when dealing with Ke?po, the theory is often explained more fully than some schools would.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    2/19/2008 6:32am

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bushi_no_ki
    With all the controversy surrounding James M. Mitose, as well as his system, I always get leary when discussing Kosho Ryu. Now, Hanshi Jushnick did demonstrate a technical proficiency in the art, but that's nothing to go on by itself. How much sparring has he done in the past. Has he ever had to put his **** to the test. There are a few good Kosho Ryu instructors out there, but check carefully before you sign up. Those good instructors have split with the association, grade on their own, and almost without exception, have trained in another art that spars heavily. The reason they stuck with Kosho Ryu is that when dealing with Ke?po, the theory is often explained more fully than some schools would.
    I've heard good things about James Mitose himself, having someone in my lineage that spent a period of time with him before he went to prison, sharing knowledge master-to-master. I think the problems come in when folks claim to have received any skills of note from him while he was in prison. I don't know, not having trained with these individuals, but I've read and heard many disparaging things. No contact/hard training, etc...
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/22/2008 9:17am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Goju Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bushi_no_ki
    In my school we didn't spar much, maybe once a month and eventually dropping down to once every six months, when I confronted my instructed about this, he implied that when you understand the natural laws and principles of (Kosho Ryu Kempo) you do not need to spar and you cannot be deafeated.

I didn't learn a whole lot in regards to sparring. Hanchi Juknik would demostrate some things during outdoor retreats or seminars but not enough to pick and train with. In class my teacher tried working this one-step sparring stuff as depicted on Hanchi Juknik's Kumite tapes but it was a "Class Disaster". I think my teacher was trying to teach from the seminar or tapes but I am not sure.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/22/2008 9:46am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bjjgame
    I had always been concerned with the lack of real sparring (unless you count Hanshi hitting me in the head multiple times with the female percussion strikes while I stood there to demonstrate the "technique"), but the final straw that broke the SKSK brainwashing was when a newbie BJJer destroyed me easily. Nothing breaks through BS like reality.
    I really wish there was a BJJ school nearby (Pennsylvania). The real kicker for me was adreniline stress training (Bulletman Class). I can assure you Kosho Ryu failled miserably! And if it fails at this I can only image what would happen in a fight.

My problem was I really believed the "Karate Kid Baloney" or "Mon Gaku" study. Now, I think its just a buch of garbage that has nothing to do with effective SD.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2008 1:47pm

Style: Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyRyu1
    In my school we didn't spar much, maybe once a month and eventually dropping down to once every six months, when I confronted my instructed about this, he implied that when you understand the natural laws and principles of (Kosho Ryu Kempo) you do not need to spar and you cannot be deafeated.

:bsflag:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2008 3:59pm

Style: karate, Ju-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really wish there was a BJJ school nearby (Pennsylvania). The real kicker for me was adreniline stress training (Bulletman Class). I can assure you Kosho Ryu failled miserably! And if it fails at this I can only image what would happen in a fight.
    MonkeyRyu1,

Where in PA do you live? I live in PA and there are a few BJJ schools where I live.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/23/2008 5:20am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ray jackson
    MonkeyRyu1,

Where in PA do you live? I live in PA and there are a few BJJ schools where I live.
    Near Pottsville, PA

More specifically I am looking for a Gracie Jujitsu Instructor. I searched the web and found their academy schools in FL and CA. None found are near PA, but I could be wrong.
    Last edited by MonkeyRyu1; 2/23/2008 8:11am at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/23/2008 5:44am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop
    :bsflag:

Why do you say that?
    Last edited by MonkeyRyu1; 2/23/2008 8:12am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2008 1:42pm

Style: Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why do you say that?

Because I don't care how many "natural laws", "pressure points", "secret techniques", or "fighting principles" you understand. If you want to be a good fighter, you have to get out on the mat and fight; a lot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2008 2:44am

Style: karate, Ju-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Near Pottsville, PA

More specifically I am looking for a Gracie Jujitsu Instructor. I searched the web and found their academy schools in FL and CA. None found are near PA, but I could be wrong.
    Yeah i tried looking, I couldn't find anything either. I'd just ask around, ask your instructor, ask people at seminars, I mean if you're really interested in jujitsu. Judo's cool for grappling to if you can find that, and i think it would complement your Goju ryu skill set.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast