Style
    karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    John P

When I first read Billy's document on Justia I was impressed and thought that his attorney just might make a fight of this thing. I then went back and read it again trying to think in terms of a person sitting on a jury with the additional knowledge as produced by months of online conversations. Such things as the fact, (if it is a fact), that the original copyright of the WDFS book expired years ago. Was the ownership of the BDFS really legally given to Aguiar II. Did Billy really inherit the rights to any copyrights. Does Billy own the rights to certain film clips or were they owned by Creeden II and legally sold to Barron / Floyd. How did Aguiar II obtain the personal property of Keehan after his death, things that were located in Chicago. If I were to take the time to think about it there would be more items that I could list/question. All of which, if it goes that far, Floyd's attorney will make sure the jury is informed of.

I then went back and viewed the trailer on Floyd's website. The film clip in the beginning and the few pictures shown, do not convince me that Floyd is trying to sell any martial arts "secrets". In my opinion this is the most important point. Do they in any way financially or otherwise hurt Billy or the BDFS? Even if the BDFS planned to write a book or make a film, I think not. The items Floyd used do not seem to abuse in any way the intellectual rights of any copyrights no matter who owns them. If anything the trailer gives the BDFS free advertisement.

So if I were to sit on the jury and all of the "facts" as I understand them now are presented I agree with you it is Fair Use.

Respectfully
    Verne Gilbert

Style
    none
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Verne_Gilbert
    John P

When I first read Billy's document on Justia I was impressed and thought that his attorney just might make a fight of this thing. I then went back and read it again trying to think in terms of a person sitting on a jury with the additional knowledge as produced by months of online conversations. Such things as the fact, (if it is a fact), that the original copyright of the WDFS book expired years ago. Was the ownership of the BDFS really legally given to Aguiar II. Did Billy really inherit the rights to any copyrights. Does Billy own the rights to certain film clips or were they owned by Creeden II and legally sold to Barron / Floyd. How did Aguiar II obtain the personal property of Keehan after his death, things that were located in Chicago. If I were to take the time to think about it there would be more items that I could list/question. All of which, if it goes that far, Floyd's attorney will make sure the jury is informed of.

I then went back and viewed the trailer on Floyd's website. The film clip in the beginning and the few pictures shown, do not convince me that Floyd is trying to sell any martial arts "secrets". In my opinion this is the most important point. Do they in any way financially or otherwise hurt Billy or the BDFS? Even if the BDFS planned to write a book or make a film, I think not. The items Floyd used do not seem to abuse in any way the intellectual rights of any copyrights no matter who owns them. If anything the trailer gives the BDFS free advertisement.

So if I were to sit on the jury and all of the "facts" as I understand them now are presented I agree with you it is Fair Use.

Respectfully
    Verne Gilbert
    This is really about a challenge to fair use. As far as the 35 secs of film footage goes, I have no worries there either. Will his having a lawyer change the basic facts of the case? I am not in the martial arts business, I do not represent any kind of competition or challenge to whatever he THINKS he owns. All will be revealed as this unnecessary case continues.

I offered peace laurels and mediation from February of last year, 2007. I went to Fall River and all I got was a royal runaround. There is more deception between them than anything and much self-delusion.

Greed and ignorance seem to be the major motivations. I TRIED. So let the shoe fall where it will. I am confident in my counsel's ability to resolve this case in my favor.

Other than that I am having a great weekend, remembering what Memorial Day is REALLY about, hoping we bring all those young men and women home soon.

Today, I am gonna babercue some marinated seitan(ummmmmm seitan) hang out on the beach, getting my tan in order if it don't rain, and seek more feminine company than testtoserone driven male martial arts types. :guitar:You know who you are. Alla YOUSE!

Yall have fun today and don't have amnesia about them boys and girls in Iraq. We need to bring them home, including all my Mississippi cousins.
    Last edited by floydwebb; 5/26/2008 9:11am at .

Style
    karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well at least with attorneys involved for both sides now this case can move on and be resolved.

Mike S

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by floydwebb
    This is really about a challenge to fair use. As far as the 35 secs of film footage goes, I have no worries there either. Will his having a lawyer change the basic facts of the case? I am not in the martial arts business, I do not represent any kind of competition or challenge to whatever he THINKS he owns. All will be revealed as this unnecessary case continues.

I offered peace laurels and mediation from February of last year, 2007. I went to Fall River and all I got was a royal runaround. There is more deception between them than anything and much self-delusion.

Greed and ignorance seem to be the major motivations. I TRIED. So let the shoe fall where it will. I am confident in my counsel's ability to resolve this case in my favor.

Other than that I am having a great weekend, remembering what Memorial Day is REALLY about, hoping we bring all those young men and women home soon.

Today, I am gonna babercue some marinated seitan(ummmmmm seitan) hang out on the beach, getting my tan in order if it don't rain, and seek more feminine company than testtoserone driven male martial arts types. :guitar:You know who you are. Alla YOUSE!

Yall have fun today and don't have amnesia about them boys and girls in Iraq. We need to bring them home, including all my Mississippi cousins.

Seitan... you poor guy. I can take it on a sandwich if I absolutely have to... If you are doing this to diet try a chicken breast cheese steak.

Go heavy on the peppers and onions (which can be charred with little or no oil) use 2% American for the cheese. It will be about as few calories as the Seitan and a lot better tasting.

Style
    none
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seitan, the way I marinate it, with Rice Vinegar, sesame oil, sage and soy sauce, is GREAT. I am giving up the chicken and dairy.

It is all in the seasoning my friend. I am remastering my old skills of Vegan-do.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [quote=floydwebb]Seitan, the way I marinate it, with Rice Vinegar, sesame oil, sage and soy sauce, is GREAT. I am giving up the chicken and dairy.

I would stop eating meat if my kids were not so skinny. they need it and I am too lazy to cook a seperate meal for me. The dairy is another story... Hard to live without dairy.

Style
    pentjak silat/ kali
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by floydwebb
    Seitan, the way I marinate it, with Rice Vinegar, sesame oil, sage and soy sauce, is GREAT. I am giving up the chicken and dairy.

It is all in the seasoning my friend. I am remastering my old skills of Vegan-do.

good on you for trying to live healthy floyd. and btw- where the hell do you find a beach in chicago?

Style
    none
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Chaos
    good on you for trying to live healthy floyd. and btw- where the hell do you find a beach in chicago?
    We have a lake the size of an ocean and about 37 beaches or something like that along the coast of Chicago and it's suburbs.

fw

Style
    karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks like Floyd's Lawyer's are pumping up the legal muscle. This filing seems a lot more aggressive than the others that I have read. Wish Justia would post filings 109 and 110.

http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal...73/111449/111/

Mike S
    Last edited by mschremp; 5/28/2008 9:01am at .

Style
    karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Mike

I get the same impressions. Looks like Floyd's attorneys are taking the gloves off and coming out swinging, like the heavyweights they are.

Verne