218357 Bullies, 4599 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1,781 to 1,790 of 6778
Page 179 of 678 FirstFirst ... 79129169175176177178179 180181182183189229279 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/24/2009 9:57am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ma_guy View Post
    Well obviously I'm in Chicago so it's CST.

I know of Joe Lewis by that I mean by reputation. I will also agree he wasn't just tough but he was very good fighter. I have a lot of respect for him as a martial artist.

I'd like to build on your point is I may. This is was I was taught self defense. This is a horrible way to explain it; again why you need a qualified instructor to teach it. It breaks back down to 3 ranges leg range, arm range and circular range or as John called referenced it "in a phone booth".

I like the analogy that by Jackie Chan "it's like dancing". Opponents move!

The bouncing you see sport TKD guys do is so that we can quickly change which hip is chambered (left / right) as not to telegraph the kick. They also do hours of drills to switch legs back and forth VERY quickly. The shoulders straight style punches are to keep people in kicking range.

Myself though I am very traditional Ji Do Kwan teach that style of sport sparring purposes and maintain WTF standards. But my real instruction is to start from the "ready stance" or "just stand there". Bouncing is a waste of energy, a simple step forward does the same thing. (More detail on that via class :) ). Depending on skill level, I may fatigue the student first or include more than one attacker or both.

Second you have middle range, Joe Lewis really added to value here. This is where the chambered shoulders work well and many boxing arm punches are most effective. but that is in the ring. For me that is Hap Ki Do Range; and usually where it ends. More circular movements, Broken bones, joints etc .. I really loved Diato Ryu because it refined what I knew of Hap Ki Do it refined movement (where you're standing), incorporated a group dynamic (no such thing as one on one) and my knowledge of small circle techniques. My Sensei would slap you in the head if he heard your breathing rhythm change in practice "too much power". The goal was perfect technique fear and adrenaline & training will give you strength and power. So for me it was refinement of what I knew.

So as John taught technique, speed & power. Ya know maybe on the original BDFS patch the 3 points on the flag mean technique, speed, power and nothing to do with 333 / Crowley and Choronzon ... just a thought.

Finally there's is "up close and personal" range again "phone booth". This is where John stands out in my mind. Much more circular movements & it's time to be nasty before you lose control. (I'm going to leave about the details)

I teach all three what is allowed by sport rules & what you gotta do when "you gotta". Like dancing your opponents move between these ranges and out of them quickly. So and this only comes from PRACTICE, INSTRUCTION & RING TIME. So your body can learn tempo and flow. Again more like dancing.

Then there is the whole psychology of the fight. He'll have friends. You must manage them or you will have bigger problems. But that is a lesson for another day and best taught IN CLASS & SUPERVISED by somebody qualified and with experience.

I think we both can agree sport and street are very different. However training in one will benefit you in the other. This is true even for MMA. They have rules against my best stuff what's left? Harsh language? I called it "homo-erotic" when I was with Floyd just after the camera went off. Looking back I wish it would have still been on because I said it in the spirit of John saying "Karate is for sissies". Fights are over in seconds not 15 minutes of 2 nearly naked athletes fighting to make the other submit to the "mounted position" was my deeper point. What no eye gouging, fish hooking, knees, elbows or biting? "Homo erotic" just came out.

Much of the reasoning behind that thought Bruce Lee wrote about when he talked about Jeet Kune Do. He said things like "strip away the inessentials" & "what you learn is meant to be forgotten" (he meant muscle memory). But Basically both of them were saying the best martial art is the one that works for you so learn from anybody any where you can (save the frauds). At this point in my life one new technique that works for me is priceless.

Finally I don't like ridge hands. Though I know of a Grandmaster Soon Chul Kim who used to take stones from Lake Michigan lay them on the floor and break them with a ridge hand. He told my instructor "you teach me with head, I teach you with (ridge) hand. But if I hurt you hurt." Never took him up on it. Mostly because just about anything you can do with a ridge hand you can do with a knife hand. The key difference being, with a knife hand you can use your thumb to reinforce your knuckles and then there is less chance of injury. So I don't allow students to break with them.

I do teach breaking with the traditional blocks however (I'll let the at home viewers ponder that one).

So I'm going to throw out a shame less self promotion. Anybody who wants to learn some via class or seminar can email me ma_guy"at"hushmail.com ; I show my proof on and off the mat (paperwork) and I'll keep the prices low so anybody who wants can see for themselves. I've offered my phone number many times no calls. So here's an anonymous public email address.

Questions, comments, insults are all welcome.

After thought and a quote from my instructor, when I thought I had something in self defense new that was good: "Wow, that looks good. Would you use that in prison?"
    Nice post! Yeah Aiki based stuff is technique... they are for practical purposes synonomous. My favorite training in that art was with Don Angier of Yanagi Ryu...the Yoshida Clan. AikiJutsu is a technology that I dare say, to this day is still underutilized. Primarily people incessantly try to get more power than they need for the technique and less precision which comes with proper distance and relaxed movement. My teacher in Philly also was an Aiki Jutsu guy but his stuff is his own and looks different (though it functions the same).

Yes you hit the nail on the head... people bounce and lose power! What you are referring to is different, quick footwork to reposition is ok as long as there is some way to have stability and generate explosive power in technique... students often think they are creating explosive power by bouncing around and it is laughable. Just like people who think that tensing the shoulder on the punch is giving them more power when it is stifling their power.

I look at the MMA stuff primarily through Judo and Brazilian Ju Jitsu which is to say that both are forms of Ju Jutsu that emphasize certain adaptations that became important to the person using the art. In this respect anyone who knows has found out (through kind hearted people like us who teach it or otherwise....) that certain types of techniques which are great in a ring are horrible for multiple opponents and for weapons. Something as simple as a sprawl which would be a nice controlled form of aggression in a schoolyard where one could grab the bully and get low to the ground and then submit the bully with a minimum of uncontrolled and unpredictable force would get one killed against an opponent with a knife who now has your back as a canvas with which to rip away.

Anyhow I will give you a buzz I had to check as we are all over the place! the wife is from Louisiana and I am a new yorker and we live in California! Need I say more haha!

Posted On:
    4/24/2009 10:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsimon3387 View Post
    Did you read anything posted? Is your reading comprehension that bad? Please... half the **** you wrote was not said by anyone, certainly not me.
    No dip ****, your outed by people who were their and they dont know him at all. And I quote " who was he what did he do" hes a nobody.:eusa_whis

Posted On:
    4/24/2009 11:58am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lob Sing View Post
    No dip ****, your outed by people who were their and they dont know him at all. And I quote " who was he what did he do" hes a nobody.:eusa_whis

Riley with a couple of up and comers back in the day. I guess nobodies stick together haha! OWNED!!! now shut the **** up!!! or as you say dont leave mad just leave BYe Bye

Posted On:
    4/24/2009 12:03pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is another link with a pic... since falls river loves pics so much with Riley and a bunch of Korean karate "Nobodies"

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DG

What kills me is that this **** could have been googled I mean I don't think Lob is Jawney its probably Billy. Jawney is not stupid.

If the ownage must continue I will present some articles written by some more nobodies who took advantage of Riley's innovations.... including Asian Nobodies who brought it back to Asia....

And keep in mind that Riley was not a Korean stylist so this stuff is peripheral to his real accomplishments. This stuff is minor **** but I will only pull out the big guns if this mercy killing must continue.

Other people on the thread should I be merciful or must the beating of Lob Sing continue? Your call
    Last edited by Dsimon3387; 4/24/2009 12:06pm at .

Posted On:
    4/24/2009 12:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Riley with a couple of up and comers back in the day. I guess nobodies stick together haha! OWNED!!! now shut the **** up!!! or as you say dont leave mad just leave BYe Bye
    **** I got pictures with Chuck Norris, Ed Parker, Ninomyia, Benny" The Jet" Uriquedez thats what they do. They take pictures. you Black guys are to funny.:new_argue

So before you stick your foot in your mouth again, and its a rather big foot by your own admission.:karated:

Creeden should show you fuckem up waza. I dont think Rileys boys could handle it, well maybe the small footed ones can,lol

Posted On:
    4/24/2009 12:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jawney is not stupid.
    We will see wont we

If the ownage must continue I will present some articles written by some more nobodies who took advantage of Riley's innovations.... including Asian Nobodies who brought it back to Asia....
    Lets see it big footed boy.

And keep in mind that Riley was not a Korean stylist
    You said he was in Korea traing with the ROKS come on man get your story right.

This stuff is minor **** but I will only pull out the big guns if this mercy killing must continue.
    **** Im handling you just fine. I wonder if you could hold up to Billy and Creeden. I think not not with thosae feet, hobbit

Other people on the thread should I be merciful or must the beating of Lob Sing continue? Your call
    let see if you keyboard fu is strong.
    Last edited by Lob Sing; 4/24/2009 12:25pm at .

Posted On:
    4/24/2009 12:19pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chris I will call you later today in the meantime take a look at page 5 and 6 particularly of this link when you have a chance. This is what proceeded the situation where oriental masters started teaching stuff that looked strangely like what Riley was doing in Baltimore after Pai met Riley... Pai was one of a few asian teachers.. Pai was an Ed Parker guy other guys were more traditionally Okinawan.

I will discuss with you as I did Floyd how this has anything to do with Dante's thing though I suspect being that you are a sharp tool in the draw as opposed to a dull one you can see why I had an interest in a movie involving fighting clubs in this country and Dante's influence...

Lob Sing don't look at this trust me.... I will accept an apology from your alias (Lob Sing) and let it go thats the best i can do for you. Otherwise you made this bed you can sleep in it.
    http://www.avengersdantai.net/images...shiHawkins.pdf

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2009 12:20pm

Style: Ji Do Kwan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice post! Yeah Aiki based stuff is technique... they are for practical purposes synonomous. My favorite training in that art was with Don Angier of Yanagi Ryu...the Yoshida Clan. AikiJutsu is a technology that I dare say, to this day is still underutilized. Primarily people incessantly try to get more power than they need for the technique and less precision which comes with proper distance and relaxed movement. My teacher in Philly also was an Aiki Jutsu guy but his stuff is his own and looks different (though it functions the same).

Yes you hit the nail on the head... people bounce and lose power! What you are referring to is different, quick footwork to reposition is ok as long as there is some way to have stability and generate explosive power in technique... students often think they are creating explosive power by bouncing around and it is laughable. Just like people who think that tensing the shoulder on the punch is giving them more power when it is stifling their power.

I look at the MMA stuff primarily through Judo and Brazilian Ju Jitsu which is to say that both are forms of Ju Jutsu that emphasize certain adaptations that became important to the person using the art. In this respect anyone who knows has found out (through kind hearted people like us who teach it or otherwise....) that certain types of techniques which are great in a ring are horrible for multiple opponents and for weapons. Something as simple as a sprawl which would be a nice controlled form of aggression in a schoolyard where one could grab the bully and get low to the ground and then submit the bully with a minimum of uncontrolled and unpredictable force would get one killed against an opponent with a knife who now has your back as a canvas with which to rip away.

Anyhow I will give you a buzz I had to check as we are all over the place! the wife is from Louisiana and I am a new yorker and we live in California! Need I say more haha!
    Thanks I will take your post as a compliment.

Posted On:
    4/24/2009 12:26pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lob Sing View Post
    **** I got pictures with Chuck Norris, Ed Parker, Ninomyia, Benny" The Jet" Uriquedez thats what they do. They take pictures. you Black guys are to funny.:new_argue

So before you stick your foot in your mouth again, and its a rather big foot by your own admission.:karated:

Creeden should show you fuckem up waza. I dont think Rileys boys could handle it, well maybe the small footed ones can,lol
    I am not black Billy. This is fun I should be leaving the house but my sadistic side is enjoying this too much! Care to make any more assumptions? Resorting to threats is a obvious desperate measure haha! Face it you are my bitch Lob Singy!!!

Posted On:
    4/24/2009 12:29pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ma_guy View Post
    Thanks I will take your post as a compliment.
    You should Chris... Have to run a few errands and its not good to enjoy the misfortune of Lob Sing's faux pas which is keeping me online right now haha but will give you a buzz later today... you did say you were in chicago Duhh! Sorry I go on about 4 hours a night of sleep these days