Wandering Daoist

Posted On:
    11/20/2003 4:33am

supporting member
     Style: Karate, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The lowdown on Bob and Warren

Don't remember there ever being a thread on this, and the article the quote is taken from is old news, but I decided to put this out anyway. I've heard it a few ways; that Bob Sapp, the kickboxer (and former football player), is Warren's brother/cousin/relative, but the quotes from Warren in the St. Pete Times (back when the Bucs played that game in Japan) would indicate that they're likely unrelated:

"If they ask me about (kickboxing star) Bob Sapp I might blow up. That dude is making money off my name. He played for the Bears a little bit. But he couldn't play."

"Oh, he played before?" Rice asked.

"He played for Washington. They broke our streak at the Orange Bowl," Sapp said, recalling the Huskies ending the University of Miami's 58-game home winning streak in 1994.

"He's an ultimate fighter. He's a champion," Rice reminded Sapp.

"He's beating up 5-foot-tall Japanese people," Sapp said. "This man don't whup nobody. You can't be that big and come to Japan. There's no people my size over here."

"Sumo wrestlers," Rice offers.

"Sumo wrestlers don't fight. They belly bump," Sapp said.
    As a Bucs fan, I could only tolerate Sapp while he put up the numbers. But now that they suck again? For all I care, the friggin' primadonna could get Gruden fired too, then decide he'd rather beat up 5 foot tall Japanese men in K-1. Personally, I'd love to see Musashi smack him around.
    "The morning glory blooms for an hour. It differs not at heart from the giant pine, which lives for a thousand years."

Posted On:
    11/20/2003 4:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    they are unrelated. any interview which has that question, they answer its not true. its espn and hasty writers who prematurely assume they are related b/c both are gigantic, black, football players who look similar and have the same last name (i can't deny it seems like all signs point to yes they are related...).

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    11/20/2003 4:17pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not related and I'd agree that Bob Sapp has gained noteriety/name recognition because of warren. That would piss anyone off.

Wandering Daoist

Posted On:
    11/20/2003 9:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know if I can agree that Bob is making money because of Warren's last name. I mean, sure, he goes and beats up the Fridge on Toughman, but since then, he's been nowhere but Japan, doing K-1 and Pride. The most anyone this side of the pond knows about him (that is, people who only follow the occasional American MMA show) is that he's the guy what challenged Mike Tyson. When people in Japan look at Warren Sapp, they don't see a famous football player, they see a shorter, chubbier version of Bob Sapp that couldn't break through an offensive line made of plywood.
    "The morning glory blooms for an hour. It differs not at heart from the giant pine, which lives for a thousand years."

Posted On:
    11/21/2003 1:43am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    HEh, I confused those two for a short while.

""Sumo wrestlers don't fight. They belly bump," Sapp said."
    Says the football player?
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2003 2:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    agreed mercurius...bob sapp isn't making money off of his name at all. he's a celebrity in japan, not america.

Posted On:
    11/21/2003 11:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!