Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2008 6:05am

Style: MT,full contact JJ,Sudoku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Grant McMaster: Bullshido or MA Renaissance man? You decide

Okay guys, here is, what I would class as a classic example of bullshidoism, and as far as I can find, one that hasnít been picked up on here yet

http://www.combative-arts.com/

Before I start, I will give you some background history. I have known Grant McMaster since around 1996 when he began training with us in Kempo JJ. I was either a blue or purple belt at the time. In my opinion when he started training with us, his MA experience was somewhere between absolutely minimal and zero. He occasionally joined in with the Muay Thai class that was being run.

I attained my BB in 1999 and shortly after joined the military and moved halfway across the country, so my training with the club dropped off dramatically for a period, and I mainly came back for gradings, so anything after this point, my personal interaction with him is more limited.

Since then he has progressed somewhat-I attended his 1st Kyu (brown belt) grading, which he passed.

He failed his BB grading (which I wasnít present at) and was told to wear a green belt when he came back training.

He has since opened his own school, which I donít have a problem with. My main gripe(s) are the suspect grades that he is claiming, his claimed fight records as well as the amount of experience in other arts.

I am not one to rant and rave and sling accusations around. I have been lurking on his site for a while, and he has consistently contradicted himself and changed his stories-many of which are not even his originally.

I suggest, for those that are interested, to take note of what he claims, check out his video gallery and the forums-especially the general discussions forums, and the open style forums.

I will be posting some of my findings on this thread- if anyone can add to it, I am sure you will.

If there is much interest, I will be emailing him directly with the findings on here- I donít want to give him a heads up at the moment, as his computer waza is as strong as mine is weak, and I know he has been altering some things on his site recently after being asked to remove certain references.

If anyone has any further questions for me, I am completely open. As I have stated, I am not in the possession of all the facts, but I will answer what I can to the best of my ability. I would ask people to check out his site first though- much of my personal dealings with him, which I could put on here, are based on conversations, and would be my word against his

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/15/2008 9:30am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I just viewed their videos and it seems standard fare. I would agree that he wouldn't be winning many fights (orofessional/ranked) with that physique and those techniques. There isn't much to look into.

and the syllabus focuses on techniques that were developed for use on the battlefield or in feudal Japan, these techniques translate very well into modern use as self-defence techniques. Ju Jutsu, Ken Jutsu, Naginata Jutsu, Bo Jutsu and Atemi Jutsu are some of the component arts involved.
    I am of the feeling that if people believe this they are not likely to ever need self defense
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2008 10:29am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrijl
    Well I just viewed their videos and it seems standard fare. I would agree that he wouldn't be winning many fights (orofessional/ranked) with that physique and those techniques. There isn't much to look into.

I am of the feeling that if people believe this they are not likely to ever need self defense
    Haha, yeah, people who carry naginata, katana and bo tend not to get attacked by passers by. shot by an armed response police unit maybe....

It was more things like

http://www.combative-arts.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=197&start=0

It doesn't to me, but then when I did Shotokan There were only 6 kyu grades.

3 White
    2 Brown
    1 Brown & Black

Then Black.

And I was very happy with that, in fact I didn't bother grading at all. The Instructor, John Hughes used to periodically tell me to wear a different belt because he thought I had advanced

*Highlights added by me

Not sure how he can quantify his grade in this style

***Editted to add quote marks
    Last edited by leec123; 2/18/2008 11:28am at .

Posted On:
    2/15/2008 12:15pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, possible Bullshido taught by "McMAster Shihan?" Or "Shihan McMaster?"

Might as well call himself Burger Meister Meisterburger.

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    2/15/2008 12:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This your boy?

http://www.spock.com/Grant-zSVDt1oz

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endID=36455940

He has 2 myspace friends.

I'm always wary of people who put "Combat" in front of things.

Or add Jutsu at the end.

I always get the feelking it's for when they get called on it, and then they can go... "oh, no, I'm not doing karate, I'm doing karate-jutsu"
    Last edited by sochin101; 2/15/2008 12:42pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2008 1:03pm

Style: Full Contact Ju Jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes that is 'the' Grant McMaster Shihan founder and head of Makumasuta Ryu, most of his online personas use the screen name Tsujigiri.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2008 3:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have quite a few contradictory quotes of his, from his forums. I will post a few on sunday. Its my daughters birthday tomorrow, and my 15 years of training is no match for screamingdaughterhypedonsmartiesjutsu
    Last edited by leec123; 3/06/2008 10:15am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2008 3:35pm

Style: CAR-AH-TAY

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Naginata Jutsu as an applicable self-defence. Okay.

Antiquated

Posted On:
    2/15/2008 3:47pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Judo gods are crying.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2008 10:52am

--