Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/15/2008 9:14am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It if makes you feel any better effecting is just as good as affecting for the title (if not better).

Having broken two hands and herniated a cervical disk or two this last year, I have been very concerned with injuries. Add to that popping someone's elbow the wrong way and injuring osmeone's ankle...i begin to wonder if I just should take up something easier. You just need to do what you feel comfortable with. Select who you train with. The instructor should be ok with that. As long as you are not really dodging competition and still getting promoted or ranked you should be able to go at your own pace until you feel comfortable again.
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2008 9:24am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Broke both knees at on point or another. I followed the Doc's advice and did as instructed. Don't really think about it much anymore. I know it'll happen again and there will be pain, but lifes to short IMO. Unless an MD tells me I can not do an acitivity on the risk of death, I'll get back to it after I recover if it really contributes positively to my life.

Posted On:
    2/15/2008 9:34am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: juuuuuujiiiiit su

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had my knee ripped out of its socket doing yoko otoshi. It moved 4 inches diagonally up and over. I'm a bull headed pig: cycled 50 miles two days later and kept going to practise 6 days a week. Eight months later my knee clicks and I'll puke from posting on it for too long. God I wish I let it healed right.

Moral of the story: Get an exo-skeleton.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2008 10:49am

Style: Karate / Judo Noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would be lying if I said I didn't let my previous injuries affect my training to day. Having blown both ACLs, my knees just aren't the same as they were prior; despite rehab et al. Mainly my course of holding back is in sparring - I make sure my partner goes with (preferably) light contact on leg kicks. While I certainly can take a moderate kick, I've just had too many instances where their aim was off, or dead on with a tad too much power, and caused my knees to buckle and torque, putting me on the sidelines for a bit - if not the rest of the class.

^ the answer to life

Posted On:
    2/15/2008 11:07am

Style: bjj/(not enough)MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go ahead and hang up the spurs if you don't think you can hack it anymore... Otherwise you're going to be like Cole Trickle after his huge car wreck in Days of Thunder.

whatever, go train.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/15/2008 12:48pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Freestyle MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate injuries because of the time you lose by letting them heal properly. The price you pay for not doing so, however, is far higher. Chronic injuries are the worst.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2008 12:49pm

Style: Shotokan, Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Matt Serra healed up then trained. You should do same...even if you have a title fight coming up. If you dont have a title fight coming, all the more reason to heal up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2008 12:50pm

Style: Shotokan, Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by brokenclavicle
    I hate injuries because of the time you lose by letting them heal properly. The price you pay for not doing so, however, is far higher. Chronic injuries are the worst.
    Agreed...chronic injuries are often caused by not letting an injury heal properly. Happens often with hamstrings and groins.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2008 1:02pm

Style: JJJ/TSD/MT/BJJ/TLA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just had a four-year-old shoulder injury resurface with a vengeance. It was like when you screw up your shift with a manual transmission.

I'd say take increased contact in stages, to get more confident in how well your body has healed, as well as to give it time to heal. Just work on moving forward, even if it's slowly.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/15/2008 1:16pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know how you feel. I sprained my ankle really bad early Fall while doing some backpacking on the Appalachian Trail, and jumped backed in bjj without it healing at all. It started healing eventually, but got re-injured when someone put an ankle lock on a bit too hard. At some point in there I also got dropped on my shoulder drilling fireman's throw. Didn't give that a chance to heal either. I kept training because of some ego bullshit, but I was nervous when I rolled. Now that my bjj school closed I'm healing up and just working on getting in better shape (my shoulder still keeps me from anything but body-weight training). I'm looking forward to moving to NYC where I'll be able to pick up a MA again, but I admit I spend alot of time thinking about what I can do without fucking up a joint or limb again (San Da is what I keep thinking about, but not sure yet).
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast