I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    2/14/2008 10:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Fear of injury affecting training

Coming back of my last injury (cracked Sternum) I have just stuck to BJJ (from the knees) and baisic Muay Thai - Pad work, bag work and conditioning - no contact.

I am comfortable at this because in BJJ if I feel that if I might over do it and get hurt (grappling spastic 230 wrestler noob) I just tap out and save myself the pain and aggravation.

However I feel I am being to cautious - in fact I am being a big puss.

Tonight I went to my Gojujitsu class, we worked some throws -sieo nage, my partner again was huge and was this bouncer guy who weighs 300 pounds.

I was so afraid of screwing up my drop sieo nage and having him land on me and hurt my back that my throws sucked hard, I was so worried about him throwing me that my uekemi also stank.

And when it came to sparring I avoided him and sparred a guy I out weigh by 50 pounds and then sparred very light to a degree that makes point sparring look tough.

I am thoroughly irritated at myself.

The thing is I don't think I can go through an other injury, constant pain, unable to do stuff around the house not able to sleep.

I am looking for either scorn or sympathy to make me get over this mental hurdle.

Anyone got any good stories?
    Last edited by Goju - Joe; 2/14/2008 10:33pm at .

Posted On:
    2/14/2008 10:36pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also I know it should be affecting not effecting in the title.

(damn grammar Nazis!! )

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2008 10:58pm

Style: Not lost...Found Judo+MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just recovered from a sprained ankle (Type II), both the lateral ligaments were ripped due to a nd I also had a stinger as well from the same Judo tournie.

When I got back to Judo I was always favoring my ankle and I would give little resistance when in Randori and I would get tossed around all crazy. I couldn't even kick in Muay Thai because the impact from the kicks upset my bad ankle, and I couldn't put any weight to pivot on my left ankle for kicks.

For me it took about three months to spar in Judo and Muay Thai without even me thinking about the injuries. (Happened last October).

Occassional swelling occurs in the ankle, but overall it feels 90% better, but in time the mental block will go away as the injury heals as best it can.

Posted On:
    2/14/2008 11:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i don't even train right now because i'm not sure if my knees can handle it. had a few close calls already just doing simple **** like sprinting. scary ****.
    :new_all_c

Posted On:
    2/14/2008 11:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just had my nose cut last night by a guy who is even more of a noob than me and showered the dojo floor with blood. I'm still on anti-inflammatories for a leg kick to the knee from two weeks ago and in a completely un-MA related incident I destroyed my left nut by impaling it on a stockade fence while chasing a fleeing felon. Other than that I'm good to go.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2008 11:12pm

Style: Panda Punch

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By the time I got through my last major injury, I was so anxious to get back to training that I didn't really think about getting hurt again.

Maybe you should do some hard sparring to get back in the groove. Or maybe you should sigh and say "I'm too old for this" more often.

Posted On:
    2/15/2008 7:34am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Being anxious and jumping back in gets me injured I am taking it slow and trying to build up my strength and conditioning.

It's just that I find going from one level to the next as far as contact and aggressiveness is daunting I am enjoying not being in major pain.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2008 7:49am

Style: Shotokan, Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So what's so wrong with letting your injury heal 100%. You are fooolish to do anything otherwise. Having 300 pound people throw you and land on you with a hurt back is pretty stupid. Cut out the macho **** and heal....trust me you will NOT regret healing! Did you post your age? Too lazy to re-read your OP but if youre young you have plenty of time to heal and get back in...if youre older you shouldnt risk re-injure. Do all the cardio you can to stay in shape, stretching, practice techniques. and bag work. All you should do for now.

Youre not impressing anyone by sparring.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2008 7:59am

Style: MT,full contact JJ,Sudoku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal
    I just had my nose cut last night by a guy who is even more of a noob than me and showered the dojo floor with blood. I'm still on anti-inflammatories for a leg kick to the knee from two weeks ago and in a completely un-MA related incident I destroyed my left nut by impaling it on a stockade fence while chasing a fleeing felon. Other than that I'm good to go.
    Ouch!! Made my eyes water from here. Now sitting with legs crossed and hunched over

Posted On:
    2/15/2008 8:23am

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The best reason to train light while recovering for an injury is to heal completely. As you feel more comfortable and your confidence returns, you will get over those nagging doubts. You're not being a *****, it's just your mind telling you to take it easy for a while. I felt the same way while recovering from a broken elbow. Tap early and often but most important, continue to train (even light training is better than no training). Eventually everything will return to normal.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast