• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/14/2008 12:51pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo, MMA and Kids Jiu-Jitsu Style: Boxing, Mom-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Can I eat eggs every day?

Heya! I've gotten in the habit of eating two eggs every morning for breakfast. I find that it is much more filling than a carb-y breakfast, and I don't get the sugar spikes and lows I used to get from eating a protien bar every day for breakfast (I found out the had a lot of sugar in them).

I like the way a good protien, low carb breakfast works for me, but I have been cautioned against eating that many eggs, due to sat fat concerns (I know the cholesterol thing is a red herring, and my cholesterol is fine anyways). Are there any health problems associated with eating 12 or so eggs a week?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2008 1:49pm

Style: default std

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's been a bunch of research going on with eggs and egg consumption now that some of the "myths" have been disproven. The key seems to be, not a concern with the fat in eggs per se, as their nutritional benefits overall outweigh their detriments, but you still need to balance the consumption by taking some fat out elsewhere (if the fat element is a serious concern). They may additionally help you lose weight. See the study below.

http://www.emaxhealth.com/69/11531.html

The AHA recommends eating no more than 3 - 4 yolks per week (which was based predominantly on the cholesterol concern - now largely disproven). That said, different people have reacted differently to significantly increased egg consumption.
    The below link summarizes a study where people were eating two eggs a day, 6 days a week for 6 weeks. For almost all of them - no significant changes in LDL or HDL, for two however LDL went through the roof, i.e. in theory a 50% increase in heart attack risk. So, you may want to monitor yourself or get you blood chol checked out and see if its making a difference for you or not.

http://www.prevention.com/cda/articl...s/heart.health

Otherwise, it doesn't sound like there are any other significant concerns.
    Just buy free range.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/14/2008 2:03pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't see a problem with that, but you have to make sure to reduce the amount of red meat you eat through the week (in addition reducing/eliminating any form of trans fats out of your diet.)

Eggs by themselves are not bad. But they can contribute with an increase of fats if the diet is not well-planned.

I used to ate like 4 eggs every day, and 1/4 to half a pound of baked (not fried) red meat a day, 7 days a week, all time around. Didn't matter that the rest of my food was basically some oatmeal/brown rice/whole wheat bread and a ton of micronuke brocolli and that I work out a lot. I don't know what my numbers were but my PCP ordered me to stop because my cholesterol was up.

I've been procastrinating on a follow up, but I need to get a blood work done in the next coming weeks to see what improvement I've made. I've basically relegated red meat to once a week (no more that one pound), while I'm eating 2 eggs at most a day... well, maybe three once in a while. I need my eggs.

Keep the eggs as you are using them now, maybe add some egg whites or feta cheese to them to add volume and content. But nix the red meat (if you are eating it regularly) and up your greens, and you should be fine.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    2/14/2008 5:03pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And here I thought this was going to be a Dr. Seuss thread!

Thanks for the links. I think the answer is in the cholesterol count. I wouldn't trust whatever the latest study says, but rather trust your cholesterol test results.

One other thing... From what I've seen the Omega-3 eggs don't seem to offer a significant difference in HDL/LDL levels. I don't have any definitive information on this, but I think that organic eggs actually have better numbers.

You could probably get better results by nuking the eggs and serving them on a flax-seed bagel.
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

My pleasure.

Posted On:
    2/14/2008 11:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: yang taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eugen Sandow. That is all.
    Sumus extra manum tuam.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/15/2008 8:19am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo, MMA and Kids Jiu-Jitsu Style: Boxing, Mom-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblackmagic
    Eugen Sandow. That is all.
    Huh? Sorry, you'll have to explain that to me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2008 11:02am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I eat 1 egg yolk for every three egg whites in the morning. This ends up being a little less filling that two full eaggs, but only a little less filling. The whites are virtually fat free.

I don't drop one yolk because of concern about the fat in the yolks specifically, but because I'm trying to eat a daily 40 - 30 - 30 Clean Carbs Protein / fat. When I did the math on paper for that, the daily meal selection I planned out balances out perfect to what kind of foods I like if I dropped one yolk and added one white.

When scrambling eggs, this ratio results in fluffier eggs too. They cook and burn faster though, so be careful. Usually I just boil 2 dozen eggs on Sunday and eat them throughout the week, and give the dog the extra yolks.

Overall, I wouldn't be overly concerned about the eating the extra fat from the eggs unless you are already consuming astronomical quantities of fried foods and meats - which means if you eat the standard western diet you should be concerned. But if your doing that, which I'm guessing you aren't, counting egg yolks isn't the problem area of the diet that needs to be addressed.

Also, there is a growing debate over whether or not fats other than trans fats, which are not in eggs, really have that much of an impact on cardiovascualr health if a person eats the appropriate amount of total calories for their activity level and body.

I would still watch the saturated fats in the meantime, but there really isn't a biochemical smoking gun that has been found that fully explains the macro-population studies that have connected saturated fat with heart disease - in spite of a lot of looking for it. And those studies themselves are ofter inconsisent when performed in different population groups. So still watch the sat fats, but before trying to shave every last one keep in mind the jury is still out on that.

The jury, however, is in on refined grains and non whole food sugars. That ****'ll kill you. Oddly enough, all the popular diets that have a large number of successful practicers of the past 10 years - Atkins, Zone, Paleo and South Beach - all end up eliminating almost all of those through one approach or another. The common denominator is no refined grains, no refined sugars. The common result of the four is people are less hungry, lose more weight, and still have enough energy.

So if you are still eating any measurable quantities of that stuff, drop them before you start counting egg yolks too closely.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/15/2008 11:40am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do what Jhemsley - about one egg and 1/4 cup of egg white.

Speaking of egg whites/egg beaters. If you have a card membership to Costco, you should use that to buy your egg whites there. There are usually 75% cheaper than in retail stores, sometimes even close to 50%.

Another thing that I experimented is to combine a bit of soy flower/powder with some soy milk or plain yogurt and a few drops of flaxseed oil or olive oil, enough to make it into a consistency between egg white and yolk. Then I use that concotion as egg white replacement. I did that a couple of times when I ran out of egg whites and I was just too lazy to drive to get some.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Skinnyweight

Posted On:
    2/15/2008 11:55am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To keep scrambled eggs from burning, add a little water while mixing. I generally use maybe 1/2 teaspoon per 1 egg / 2 whites combo and it works great.

Posted On:
    2/15/2008 2:38pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Freestyle/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a Costco membership and have always tried to buy Egg Whites there...I have see Egg Beaters but no egg whites. I may have to spend even more time in there than I already do to really find them. Thanks for the heads up. It is much cheaper to buy them there (I would think at least) as I buy all my other neccessities there and save quite a bit of dough.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast