Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2008 10:45am

Style: hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yea i know that was little dislecsic but gimme a break i've been up since 3:30

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2008 10:47am

Style: BJJ, JJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by svt2026
    Yea i know that was little dislecsic but gimme a break i've been up since 3:30
    Then spare us your insomnia induced rantings and post again when you've rested, k?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2008 10:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kultist
    If you're out camping with a woodsman, why would you want him to show you 1000 ways that you can't light a fire or make lighting a fire tricky as hell when you can get him to show you three ways that you can make a fire with relative ease?
    For that matter, if two fighters spend the same amount of time training and both do sparring at their separate clubs, and one learns 25 techniques that do work and the other learns 20 techniques that don't work and 5 that do, why would the second one be better?
    That's a good point. My thinking was more of a person that learns 20 tech that work and 20 that could work if modiffied to the situation.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    2/14/2008 11:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All techniques have to be pretty much modified to the situation (or the situation needs to be modified sufficiently to allow the technique, i.e. set up), that's what sparring is for.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2008 11:11am

Style: BJJ, JJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's a good point. My thinking was more of a person that learns 20 tech that work and 20 that could work if modiffied to the situation.
    My point is that if you had two clones, same weight category, same strength, same everything, no martial arts experience, both fairly athletic and you teach one 20 good techs and 20 **** techs and you teach the other 40 good techs, the one with 40 good techs will probably win.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2008 11:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kultist
    My point is that if you had two clones, same weight category, same strength, same everything, no martial arts experience, both fairly athletic and you teach one 20 good techs and 20 **** techs and you teach the other 40 good techs, the one with 40 good techs will probably win.
    your totally right

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2008 11:25am

Style: Hillbilly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's the thing, any technique *might* work. I've been hit with reverse lunge punches. I've been knocked out by a chambered snap kick. I've tapped to standing wristlocks while actively resisting. I spar every week with fellow Bullshido member CodosDePiedra and last weekend, as a joke, he came at me with a flying sidekick right out of a Jean-Claude Van Damme movie. It caught me by surprise. Guess what? It landed. And it hurt...

But how many times do you think I've been hit with those techniques as opposed to, say, a right cross? Left Jab? Low round kicks to the thigh? Uppercuts? Straight leads? And, my absolute least-favorite thing to get hit with, a good fouette to the liver?

Fighting is basically a physical crapshoot. Sometimes successfully pulling off a technique is just as much the product of dumb luck as it is your training regimine. So as long as you're playing the odds, you might as well go for the sure bet, no matter how awesome you would look knocking someone out with a flying spin kick.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2008 11:45am

Style: Hapkido, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One thing that bothers me about people critisizint TMA on this forum is when they talk about vids from youtube of people practicing jointlocks and suck on a complient oponent.

Well how in the hell are you suposed to learn a technique properly if you dont do it when someone lets you. Practice and live sparing session are two different things so stop ragging on people for doing that. I'm surre you cant learn **** even in BJJ if someone doesnt let you do it first.
    Well, my fellow HKDer, as others have already stated, practicing these moves on compliant partners is not the problem, especially if you're just learning. The problem is when you only practice on compliant partners.

Unfortunately, there are plenty of schools which never seem to incorporate resistance into these exercises. They never go beyond the static wrist grab and therefore insure that their students will never be able to apply these techniques against a real opponent. This can be especially bad when you have two practioners who both know the technique. One will often "submit" to the technique much too easily giving the practioner the false sense of security regarding how easily the technique can be applied.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2008 11:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hex
    Well, my fellow HKDer, as others have already stated, practicing these moves on compliant partners is not the problem, especially if you're just learning. The problem is when you only practice on compliant partners.

Unfortunately, there are plenty of schools which never seem to incorporate resistance into these exercises. They never go beyond the static wrist grab and therefore insure that their students will never be able to apply these techniques against a real opponent. This can be especially bad when you have two practioners who both know the technique. One will often "submit" to the technique much too easily giving the practioner the false sense of security regarding how easily the technique can be applied.
    The way i praciticed is i dont submit or tap till i feel pain. I did wonders for my joints but its nothing a stiff drink doesn't fix. Also i was lucky enough to have few training partners that alsway wanted to go for a free sparring session and roll.

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    2/14/2008 11:53am

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the "knee vs sprawl" arguement is quite relevant here. Its all about the high percentage moves.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast