Posted On:
    2/15/2008 7:44pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ty5
    Style field now or 6 months ago?
    Now. In other words saying it was always **** is slightly ridiculous. There has been evidence presented of challenge matches and articles in Chinese newspapers of chunners winning and competing.

I know this because I had an argument with a chunner saying sparring isn't necessary because, the Masters of old didn't do it.

It i really just like anything you take out a key component and it becomes ****. KK is good because even if they do kata they bang more often than not.

Now, I'm not arguing if it is good striking art or not. My feelings about the Chun are all over the website.

I'm disagreeing with the statement "if it is **** now it was **** then."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2008 7:53pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry I have not seen any first hand evidence such as newspaper articles, just hearsay. From what I can make out Wing Chun was quite a minor style that was resticted to the area around Foshan until the second half of the 20th centuary and any documented challenge matches where probably post WWII in Hong Kong?

I would argue there was a whole generation who suffered during the Japanese occupation and who would have kicked ass no matter what style they studied, but that is just my opinon.

Problem is I have seen Chunners sparring, and they are still crap. I am not sure Wing Chun is even meant to be a complete martial art or if it was just a local off shoot of a White Crane style, if it wasn't for Ip Man I do not think Wing Chun would be anywhere as near as well known as it is now.

Still, Bullshido would not be the same without a Chun thread that hits 300+ posts !

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/15/2008 8:05pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry I have not seen any first hand evidence such as newspaper articles, just hearsay. From what I can make out Wing Chun was quite a minor style that was resticted to the area around Foshan until the second half of the 20th centuary and any documented challenge matches where probably post WWII in Hong Kong?

I would argue there was a whole generation who suffered during the Japanese occupation and who would have kicked ass no matter what style they studied, but that is just my opinon.

Problem is I have seen Chunners sparring, and they are still crap. I am not sure Wing Chun is even meant to be a complete martial art or if it was just a local off shoot of a White Crane style, if it wasn't for Ip Man I do not think Wing Chun would be anywhere as near as well known as it is now.

Still, Bullshido would not be the same without a Chun thread that hits 300+ posts !
    Change it to Bruce lee and I would agree.

I'm to tired and try to stay out of chun politics and crap as much as possible now. I'll see if I can find the thread/article.

Oh there is no such thing as a complete MA. That is the Chinese trappings from your chun days still talking.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/15/2008 8:44pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am not sure Wing Chun is even meant to be a complete martial art or if it was just a local off shoot of a White Crane style
    How the **** do you think 99% of Chinese martial arts were developed? They are variations or offshoots of other, often earlier styles.

if it wasn't for Ip Man I do not think Wing Chun would be anywhere as near as well known as it is now.
    As IIF said...you mean Bruce Lee here. And wow...what a revelation.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2008 8:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not quite what I meant, as without Ip Man I think Wing Chun would be a truly obsure art.

And in terms of the styles development there is also some opinon that what Ip Man taught in his latter years is a lot different to how he was taught... no one really knows what Wing Chun looked like a hundred years ago, it could be nothing like it is today, if it did look like it does today then it was crap then as well. But nobody really knows for sure.
    Last edited by ty5; 2/15/2008 9:18pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2008 8:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Change it to Bruce lee and I would agree.

I'm to tired and try to stay out of chun politics and crap as much as possible now. I'll see if I can find the thread/article.

Oh there is no such thing as a complete MA. That is the Chinese trappings from your chun days still talking.
    Fair enough, it is easier just to link to all the previous debates as it seems every angle has been argued to death several times over by lots of different people.

I say Ip Man because even without Bruce Lee, Ip Man built up quite a student base in HK as well as proper structures (such as the Ving Tsun Athletic Association). Which did not exist before.

Even without Bruce Lee WincgChun would still be established in Hong Kong and sooner or later in the West, though on a far smaller scale. But without Ip Man that would never have happened.

Posted On:
    2/25/2008 3:15pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Braziian juijitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes,wing chun or wing tsun whatever you want to call it is alive.God helps us all! whatever the amazing chunners!

Posted On:
    2/25/2008 4:39pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So if you have to mix chun with boxing or MT, what additional specific advantages does the training in the chun provide over boxing or MT?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/25/2008 4:50pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    So if you have to mix chun with boxing or MT, what additional specific advantages does the training in the chun provide over boxing or MT?
    Chain punches! Right down the centreline!
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910