1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    2/12/2008 1:05pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblackmagic
    Why do we keep strikestan? 90% of answers are "spar" and the other 10% consist of "search function, n00b." There really doesn't seem like a need for new threads in this section.
    Because we haven't had a crackdown on striking that purged the stupid like we did on grappling. Also, at a Throwdown it is easy to own somone grappling and make them "See the light" however in striking unless you KO somone they have trouble understanding that they suck. Frankly it is hard for me to really KO a total stranger. I usually spar until I can feel out their skill level then I try to hang out right around there.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    2/12/2008 1:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    check out the "how do face block" thread. omega has some good advice on closing distance with minimal damage to your head.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/12/2008 3:10pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj, san-da, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well i have been doing san-da for about a year now with light sparring and ish.. it wasn't until recently where i realized I gotta re-learn everything since i fought one of the team fighters from my school (a USKBA united states welterweight muay thai champ) knock the wind outta me, he's also an in-fighter.. it just happens that he's a little taller then me.. so i guess i'm gettin the same advice in school too.. spar more > <

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/12/2008 4:17pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Free Style Striking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with the general consensus of the forum. Right now just view yourself as a glass waiting to be filled. Its to early to establish your style, because the way you may be fighting at the present moment may not be whatís best for you.

Here is some tips that may or may not be useful to you:

1. Head Movement and Footwork: This is key to getting inside and not getting knocked out while doing it. Like a baby you must learn how to walk before you can run and in my opinion footwork should always be stress first before learning how to strike. Moving your head seems simple enough but it can be forgotten when punches are flying at your head. Become a master at slipping/bobbing & weaving. The best ways to work on this are with you coach on the mitts, a maze bag, double end bag (1,2 slip), partner drills, and lets not forget sparring.

2. Angels & Attack The Body: Even when your punching him - just donít stand there MOVE! Keep him guessing moving around him in circles hitting him in all different spots at all different angles. A perfect example of this would be Ricky Hatton. A lot of guys can't be hurt to the head but you can always put a man down with a good shot to the guy. Plus if your shorter the target is right there! Bring a big man down by assaulting his body...but donít just hunt for his ribs remember to keep him guessing.

3. Learn How To Use Your Jab & Move Behind It: A lot of us shorter guys forget that there is other punches than the hook, overhand right, and uppercut. The Jab should always be the backbone of your boxing even if your purely a inside fighter. The Jab is how you find range, set up your punches, and most importantly get inside. Step in behind your jab and blast them with a cross or a nice hook to the body. A Perfect example of this is a YOUNG Mike Tyson/Ricky Hatton.

4. Hit & Run: Once again if he as a considerable weight advantage his power may or may not be something your worried about. Thus you never want him to get a good shot on you so like the title states hit and run. Get inside through a 3-6 punch combo and get out. Angles play a big role in hear you just donít want to back straight out cause you'll catch a nice straight right or left in the face. But DONT be confused remember that close does = safe.

5. Master Feints, Fakes, & Defense: Remember when to physical skilled fighters match the one that fights SMARTER wins. There is more than fighting than just being a bull. Don't forgot that for every action there is a reaction and an opening to hit.

6. Aggression And Power: Hit that heavy bag as hard as you can, squat till you puke, and fight without regard like your going to die tomorrow.

If all else fails - run.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    2/12/2008 4:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    and since i'm not sure if you actually went looking for omega's thread:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=63300

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=63321

watch the videos, do the drills.

seriously.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/12/2008 5:00pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks for the replies and links.. really helpful, that's exactily what i was looking for.. drills and things i can work on before sparring, because the guys don't hold back when they strike and i don't think i'm that ready for hardcore sparring at the moment

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    2/12/2008 6:33pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinoXL
    thanks for the replies and links.. really helpful, that's exactily what i was looking for.. drills and things i can work on before sparring, because the guys don't hold back when they strike and i don't think i'm that ready for hardcore sparring at the moment
    If this is actually true and you aren't just a ***** find a new gym. No, I won't explain why. Either search or just think it through.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/12/2008 7:41pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well.. every normal guy is good not much of a big deal, but then you end up facing someone who is a pro.. and is training for fights, they need to get their practice in and.. those liver shots are a bitch

Posted On:
    2/12/2008 8:20pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinoXL
    Well.. every normal guy is good not much of a big deal, but then you end up facing someone who is a pro.. and is training for fights, they need to get their practice in and.. those liver shots are a bitch
    If a PRO is using YOU (1 year experience?) as a hard sparring partner to prepare for his fights I can surmise the following:

a) the pro is an asshole
    b) you're not learning at a proper curve

Hard sparring is great, but if you're going against people significantly better than you and they're not holding back well...

Also, why isn't your gym teaching you extensive drills for developing you as a fighter? That should be a priority and drills for improvement definitely seem like something you should know after a year of training.

Out of curiosity what's the name of your stand up gym?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/12/2008 8:44pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that came out a little wrong i guess, well.. technically he has his own classes (spar 6x 3 min rounds then do drills).. and i decided to jump into the deep end.. all the other classes are relatively easy? sort to say.. since it's just drills, pad work, etc. and my conditioning is in pretty good shape.. and he does teach me when i'm sparring, but his easy is ridiculously hard, he's actually a pretty nice guy. He teaches me too ie. throw 4-5 in a combo since i'm little i want to keep ppl busy.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast