Sponsored Links Spacer Image

game dog

Posted On:
    6/28/2009 8:45am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We have the "don't fight teammates" policy at our school, and it has made sense on at least one occasion: at the BJJ German Championships last year, a teammate and I met in the finals of the Gi open division. We flipped a coin and saved ourselves a potentially gruelling fight (the rules for the finals were "no points, no time limit"). Some of the few remaining spectators were disappointed, but the next day, I won my division in No-Gi, and my teammate made it to the finals of the No-Gi open division, where he had a match that lasted over an hour. Would we have gotten that far with an additional match the day before? Maybe, maybe not...
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    6/28/2009 3:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While there might be circumstances that effect this, as a rule the team mates don't' compete (and it's not MMA and not a fight) against each other is lame.

I can understand not wanting hurt each other for upcoming comp, but you could still have a gentleman's agreement not to crank on heel hooks.

And if you are worried about upcoming MMA fight then why are you in the competition to begin with.

Somethings about BJJ especially the Brazilian worship is just too cult like.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/28/2009 5:48pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd love a no points no time limit tourney. They just aren't practical with thousands of competitors.
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 7:05pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't end upcompeting because my hands haven't healed yet. But the funny thing is I just checked the results in my division there was a guy from both of the schools I train at. The guy from the SBG gym took second in nogi and 1st in gi. The GB guy got 3rd in both divisions. Should be interesting when I talk to them...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 7:12pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrijl View Post
    I'd love a no points no time limit tourney. They just aren't practical with thousands of competitors.
    These guys do sub only tourneys on the East Coast and have been doing quite well despite having over 100 competitors:

http://www.usgrappling.us/

As for comepting against team mates; I've been hurt and sidelined for months after some of my matches and I don't want something like that ruining a good training relationship.
    No matter how good buddies you are a major injury might fork up anything.

And I'm a SHW too so the chance for injuring my lighter team mates is pretty real.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/05/2009 5:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the link but they only do south east coast. The closest one is Delware which is quite far from where I am.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    7/05/2009 7:15pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have no issues with my guys going against each other in the finals if they chose to do it.

So, what if they fight each other all the time? That makes it a more challenging match. Does it not? That is good...is it not? The addedd stress of a tourny also creates a different environment...people fight differently. It is part of training for the students. It is good experience. We have all known people who can win on the gym floor, but not the event floor. Competition aside, it is a good learning opportunity for the guys and will make them better in the long run. To not go at it is to miss a good opportunity IMO. Go into it happy that you swept a division and have a good time.

So, what if people see their strong points, weaknesses or holes in their game? People see this anyway in a non-teammate match. Moreso, I say let people see my holes and weaknesses...it will force me to evolve and improve my game. That is the whole idea.

While I understand the bowwing out to a senior student thing, I still say fight it out. A competition is not about who is senior, it is about who is better at that given moment on that given day under those given circumstances. So, let's see who is better that day. If a senior student loses, it does not negate everything he's done prior and it gives him a new area of his game to work on.

My guys have never held it against each other if they beat each other in an event. Occassionally our guys have met in the finals of events. We end up joking about it, being happy that we swept a division, etc. Usually, if our guys meet in the final, they go into it happy that they swept the finals and have a good roll with each other. No ego at all.

Meeting before the finals is a different story. That should not happen if at all possible.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    7/05/2009 7:18pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrijl View Post
    Thanks for the link but they only do south east coast. The closest one is Delware which is quite far from where I am.
    Here in NYC, we have the "NYC Submission Shootout", which is a good submission or draw event. No points, etc. I recommend it if you can make it. They have had 2 events so far...very good IMO. Your guys will get lots of matches in the round robin brackets...win or lose.

http://www.nycsubshootout.com/
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456