Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 9:10pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As before I don't get it. I'll give you the above with the MMA fight but in any other instance it makes absolutely no sense not to fight your clubmates. If you can't control yourself to the point where you're going to injure each other you're probably doing the wrong sport. As for "scouting", this isn't really an issue since anyone could've watched your previous matches anyway and I don't think we're talking about a level where this would even really matter in the long term anyway.

Competition matches are a valuable resource that you get very little access to. Denying yourself one against your teammate is foolish. "Fighting it in advance" at your club was the silliest thing thrown out there. Rolling with each other at the club is completely different than doing it at a tournament. Much more pressure, much other stimuli to deal with. If the skill level is so apparent in your club rolling, all the more reason the skillful guy should breeze through but a good exercise nonethless. Most of us "non-BJJers" go full speed in practice too but I've yet to see any other combat art where this "give your teammate the win" stuff happens.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 10:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with the general consensus and would add if you fight your teammate you each atleast know what to expect.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 10:35pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't be a *****. If you and your teammate are in the same bracket you get out there and you beat his ass in the exact same friendly and respectful manner that you beat a strangers ass in. Or you grapple for it and the winner has to fight up a skill division...

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/26/2009 8:31am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my case the guy should just fight in the wieght above mine. He is usually about 170 and cuts to 159. I live at 157 and for alot of reasons can't cut to 149 (especially this time).
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2009 8:57am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrijl View Post
    In my case the guy should just fight in the wieght above mine. He is usually about 170 and cuts to 159. I live at 157 and for alot of reasons can't cut to 149 (especially this time).

Why? If that's the weight he wants to fight at and feels he's most effective at why should he fight up? If the tournament is run properly you won't meet until the finals so I would focus on getting there first rather than worrying about fighting your teammate. If it's a tiny tournament and you'll be like half the division, that's different but in that case no-one should be cutting any weight.

Fighting my teammates was something I had to deal with my entire competitive career. I came from a dojo that had a lot of competitors so it was inevitable that we'd end up fighting each other at times, often at fairly high level tournaments with real consequences (national team berths, etc). Even at local tournaments I'd often have to fight teammates since so many of us fought and I'd usually fight my division and the one above at the same time to get more matches. It was a great experience taking it to the next level with guys I don't normally do that with but did randori with all the time. I found most of them couldn't hit that next gear as hard as I could and as a result I often beat guys in tournaments that would beat me at the club. I would hate to look back on my career and have missed out on those often epic battles I had with guys I really know and respect.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/26/2009 10:32am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it's a tiny tournament and you'll be like half the division, that's different but in that case no-one should be cutting any weight.
    Last time we were 3 out of 4 for that division. One guy just ended up not competing so we were 2 out of 3.

Just for the record, I would have gone against my teammate.
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/26/2009 10:56am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Twice in Judo competitions I've had to fight someone from my dojo. Both times the two of us fought hard and tried our best. You should have your chance to go out and fight for the gold. Anything less is an insult to you and your training.

Posted On:
    6/27/2009 4:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everyone who has had to flip or rps instead of fighting were told to by their coaches, it's not like you can tell the guy who's been training you to **** off in the middle of a competition. That said, It'd tear me to pieces to place 2nd that way.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/27/2009 4:47pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not saying that you should tell off your coach. Be diplomatic when you tell the coach that the two of you should be allowed to fight it out. At the very least bring it up after that particular tournament so you can change the way it's dealt with next time.

Posted On:
    6/28/2009 3:29am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most of the bigger competition teams in BJJ I am aware of also have an unwritten rule about deciding beforehand winners/losers in teammate competitions. But I think they also allow the two to fight it out if they want.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast