Thread: Competing against Teammates
4/12/2008 10:16pm, #31
i usually flip a coin
4/14/2008 6:51am, #32
Just to add my 2 cents to this -
In a grappling competition last weekend (see here) there was a lot of competing against teammates.
My first match was against a guy I roll with all the time. We tapped hands and fought, I came out the victor, we shook hands and walked off the mat. No big deal. Same thing with the girl I fought who I also train with all the time. I also fought another guy from my gym who I don't roll with much, he tapped me quickly, we shook hands and had a man-hug.
So, it really wasn't a big deal for me.
On the other hand, two team-mates fought in the final of their division and had a very tough gruelling fight, and afterwards the guy who won said it had been really horrible to fight a friend like that.
There was never any suggestion of not fighting. When it emerged that 3 fighters from our gym had made it to the final 3 of the absolute division, our coach talked to us and specifically mentioned the no competing against teammates rule, and how he thought it was nonsense.
6/24/2009 12:11pm, #33
I am dort of necroing this thread because NAGA is coming up this weekend. I had intended on dropping down to a weight class that didn't have any teammtes. But I had to go to india for work, so cutting the weight was out of the question. Last NAGA a guy and I were in the same division and our coach doesn't want us to compete against each other. He conceded first place to me, but it felt like a hollow victory. I had to leave before the gi division (which he came in 1st in).
I am not sure why our coach does not want us to compete against each other. I can guess at the pros and cons, but winning on points and then having 1st place conceded felt cheap to me. One of our guys had 3 or 4 good matches and got 3rd. I'd rather that than one match and 1st. Oh well, maybe this is just bitching.There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.
6/24/2009 2:54pm, #34
This actually is also what got Marcelo a mundial gold recently.
6/24/2009 3:39pm, #35
I don't understand - if you have the two places sewn up for the team, why not wrestle off for who gets what? This practice has always puzzled me.
6/24/2009 4:36pm, #36
- Join Date
- May 2008
- Jiu Jitsu
If I know I'm going to enter a tournament in the same division as one of my teammates (same academy teammates, not same division), we decide ahead of time what will happen if we make it to the finals. If we want to fight for it, we can do it in advance, at the academy, out of the view of the world.
I see a lot of reasons why it makes sense to handle it this way. And the non-BJJers need to understand that we roll live with each other all the time. In all but a few cases, it's clear in advance who is the better, more technical fighter and better competitor.
6/24/2009 4:38pm, #37
6/24/2009 4:44pm, #38
- Join Date
- May 2008
- Jiu Jitsu
Maybe because someone wants their techniques and preferences scouted as little as possible. Maybe because they don't want to expose their teammate's susceptibilities (that they've learned by rolling with him) to the world. Maybe because one guy can't handle his adrenaline and might injure the other, and then there would be hard feelings and resentment rather than friendly team cooperation in the future.
I'm not saying these are my reasons, just that there are reasons.
6/25/2009 7:35am, #39
Yeah. But I think there are guys who can clean up at the academy (like me) and others who have the drive for competition (my teammate). When I compete, I just can't seem to care at all whether I win or not. I used to think this is the same thing as 'heart', but now I realize I just don't like competing. So in that case, who should get first?
For example even rolling hard at my schools I can get this guy 85% of the time if not more. Out of the remaining 15%, 10% is a draw. But, at a competition, he'll try his hardest to win whereas I just can't seem to care. Last time he conceded first knowing that we were both doing gi and he'd probably just take that one. But if we only had one division, i think it'd be tough.
I agree with skillful's reason. I guess there are some people who scout out others. I guess since I really don't care, i don't make the effort.
edit: I didn't mean to make that first sentence arrogant.There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.
6/25/2009 12:06pm, #40“Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4