Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i usually flip a coin

Posted On:
    4/14/2008 6:51am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to add my 2 cents to this -

In a grappling competition last weekend (see here) there was a lot of competing against teammates.

My first match was against a guy I roll with all the time. We tapped hands and fought, I came out the victor, we shook hands and walked off the mat. No big deal. Same thing with the girl I fought who I also train with all the time. I also fought another guy from my gym who I don't roll with much, he tapped me quickly, we shook hands and had a man-hug.

So, it really wasn't a big deal for me.

On the other hand, two team-mates fought in the final of their division and had a very tough gruelling fight, and afterwards the guy who won said it had been really horrible to fight a friend like that.

There was never any suggestion of not fighting. When it emerged that 3 fighters from our gym had made it to the final 3 of the absolute division, our coach talked to us and specifically mentioned the no competing against teammates rule, and how he thought it was nonsense.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/24/2009 12:11pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am dort of necroing this thread because NAGA is coming up this weekend. I had intended on dropping down to a weight class that didn't have any teammtes. But I had to go to india for work, so cutting the weight was out of the question. Last NAGA a guy and I were in the same division and our coach doesn't want us to compete against each other. He conceded first place to me, but it felt like a hollow victory. I had to leave before the gi division (which he came in 1st in).

I am not sure why our coach does not want us to compete against each other. I can guess at the pros and cons, but winning on points and then having 1st place conceded felt cheap to me. One of our guys had 3 or 4 good matches and got 3rd. I'd rather that than one match and 1st. Oh well, maybe this is just bitching.
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    6/24/2009 2:54pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This actually is also what got Marcelo a mundial gold recently.
    Lame practice.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    6/24/2009 3:39pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't understand - if you have the two places sewn up for the team, why not wrestle off for who gets what? This practice has always puzzled me.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2009 4:36pm

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I know I'm going to enter a tournament in the same division as one of my teammates (same academy teammates, not same division), we decide ahead of time what will happen if we make it to the finals. If we want to fight for it, we can do it in advance, at the academy, out of the view of the world.

I see a lot of reasons why it makes sense to handle it this way. And the non-BJJers need to understand that we roll live with each other all the time. In all but a few cases, it's clear in advance who is the better, more technical fighter and better competitor.

Posted On:
    6/24/2009 4:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skillful View Post
    If I know I'm going to enter a tournament in the same division as one of my teammates (same academy teammates, not same division), we decide ahead of time what will happen if we make it to the finals. If we want to fight for it, we can do it in advance, at the academy, out of the view of the world.

I see a lot of reasons why it makes sense to handle it this way. And the non-BJJers need to understand that we roll live with each other all the time. In all but a few cases, it's clear in advance who is the better, more technical fighter and better competitor.
    The question is, why not duke it out? Who cares if it's in the view of the world?
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2009 4:44pm

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1point2,

Maybe because someone wants their techniques and preferences scouted as little as possible. Maybe because they don't want to expose their teammate's susceptibilities (that they've learned by rolling with him) to the world. Maybe because one guy can't handle his adrenaline and might injure the other, and then there would be hard feelings and resentment rather than friendly team cooperation in the future.

I'm not saying these are my reasons, just that there are reasons.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 7:35am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah. But I think there are guys who can clean up at the academy (like me) and others who have the drive for competition (my teammate). When I compete, I just can't seem to care at all whether I win or not. I used to think this is the same thing as 'heart', but now I realize I just don't like competing. So in that case, who should get first?

For example even rolling hard at my schools I can get this guy 85% of the time if not more. Out of the remaining 15%, 10% is a draw. But, at a competition, he'll try his hardest to win whereas I just can't seem to care. Last time he conceded first knowing that we were both doing gi and he'd probably just take that one. But if we only had one division, i think it'd be tough.

I agree with skillful's reason. I guess there are some people who scout out others. I guess since I really don't care, i don't make the effort.

edit: I didn't mean to make that first sentence arrogant.
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 12:06pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa View Post
    This actually is also what got Marcelo a mundial gold recently.
    Marcelo and Sergio Moraes are close friends who train together often, and Serginho had a professional MMA fight scheduled for a week later. The rochambeau, while disappointing for spectators, allowed them both to go home without risking injury or hard feelings. (Shrug).
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast