Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/20/2008 12:32am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I traveled down to brazil this past summer to train for three weeks and compete in the cupo do mundo. I trained pretty much every day of those three weeks with my professors nephew as he was the perfect training partner, same weight and same size. We registered for the tournament seperately, I wrote "Black House" for school as that was where we were training, he wrote "Asle/Behring" the association.

In the first round of the 24 man bracket I was put against him. It was absolutely rediculous. My Professor went and talked to the tournament organizers but he told me beforehand it was unlikely things were going to get changed because of some political bs with the guys running it. He said it was even possible that they had done it on purpose as they knew that he taught at black house.

regardless, I traveled from canada to brazil (and then from rio to teresopolis), trained hard 8-9 times per week for 2.5 weeks to compete in my first (and only) international competition and had to fight my main training partner in the first round of the tournament. I lost 4-0 on points. We usually rolled even at the club, but I really don't think either of us was into the match at all.

Needless to say, I was very pissed off at the situation.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2008 11:30am

Style: BJJ/Pekiti Tersia/Hsing-I

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd be pissed too Angry-Monkey.

I've only had to compete against a team mate once, and it was for third place. We both fought hard and he ended up winning. The only difference between going against a team mate is that I didn't do anything I'd consider assholish that I might do against someone I don't know. It was a good match though.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    2/28/2008 3:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know, i mean, my team is pretty competitive, so we'd roll for the titles, but, like bustardo said, we wouldn't do anything assholish.

I see your instructors point...sort of...

Posted On:
    3/03/2008 8:50pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by new2bjj
    what he said. Football, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball are team sports. Boxing and Grappling are not. Does anyone remember Vision Quest? Matthew Modine's wrestling coach tell him he's "not a team player" and says "wrestling's not a team sport". Outside of your immediate family, life is not a team sport.
    It depends on your culture.

If you fight your teamate for a Gold medal and you loose.
    It is ok if you do not hold a grudge about your loss.

But in the future, you might hold back sharing training and tech/info with the guy because he might be your future opponent.

People avoid fighting teamate to stop grudges and conflicts later on back at the club.

After all, you might win the gold by yourselves but you rely on your teamates to train with.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/17/2008 3:50pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ / JJJ / Boxing / RBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the finals of their Division in the 2006 PanAms, one of our Black Belts faced our teacher in the finals. The student, bowed, conceeding the match to our teacher.

I see that as the proper thing to do; you should show deferrence to your senior, certainly if he is your teacher. But even if he is just your senior by rank or time, the junior player should conceed out of respect.
    Last edited by PCH; 3/17/2008 3:55pm at .

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/17/2008 4:16pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PCH
    In the finals of their Division in the 2006 PanAms, one of our Black Belts faced our teacher in the finals. The student, bowed, conceeding the match to our teacher.

I see that as the proper thing to do; you should show deferrence to your senior, certainly if he is your teacher. But even if he is just your senior by rank or time, the junior player should conceed out of respect.
    I agree with not competing against teammates, but because they are a higher rank?I dont think so. I will just bring up Ryan Hall, as of a couple of days ago he just whooped up on another BB this weekend, the bowing out to higher ranks just seems a little too TMA tradition for me. Moreover what is the cut-off for time train? Could I even compete against other purple belts?as I got mine in two years and most of the guys I fought had been training for at least 5? ...maybe I just need to go eat and stop being grumpy.
    Last edited by Zapruder; 3/17/2008 4:19pm at .

Posted On:
    3/17/2008 4:22pm

Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowardly Lurker
    Our instructor's policy is that we don't compete against our teammates, so we ended up basically flipping for placement.

Wow, bad policy.
    Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your signatures.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/11/2008 1:21pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know much about BJJ, but I've been considering taking it, and here's how I see it:

The point of competing is to test your skills against other fighters, is it not? And when you're testing your skills, don't you want to test it against the best fighters in your tournament? Don't you want to make it to the finals, and actually beat the other guy who also won all of his matches?

The way I see it is that your school is obviously pretty good, and the students are pretty good. You landed the top 3 places... And then you basically quit. You didn't get to fight against the other best fighter in the competition.

I see no reason to compete against a fellow student. You both made it to the end. By not competing against him, you end up competing and beating the same people over and over, and never really getting to compete against someone who's equal to you and will help you improve your skills and see where you problems are.

I think it's a bad idea not to allow students to compete.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2008 2:21pm

Style: karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PCH

when my student can beat me he'd better get his ass on the mat and show me what he's learned. Rank is for deference and respect, competition is for pushing everyone involved to be better and have fun.
    Belt mean something in class, results mean something in competition.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    4/11/2008 2:38pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another vote for "It's a dumbass rule".
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast