Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2008 10:28am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's quite a regular occurance for people not to compete against team mates in BJJ comps. It happened in Galvao's division in the Mundials this year (last one I can remember).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2008 11:43am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sorry but that's pretty retarded. I can see the case if you're competing in full-contact striking as Ming said above but for grappling/BJJ/judo there's absolutely no reason not to fight it out.

Regardless of being up against a training partner you've rolled with a thousand times a competitive match is completely different. You want to get as many of them in as you can and by flipping for placement you're robbing yourself of additional experience. I understand you don't want to buck the flow at your club but that's just stupid.

I used to have to compete against teammates all the time. One of my best training partners and friends almost always met up in the finals of provincial tournaments. We scrapped like crazy because neither of us would admit the other one was better. A tournament match is generally the best way to solve that argument since you've got refs, spectators and film most of the time. I'd never have wanted to miss out on those "grudge" matches just to avoid fighting my club mate.

Posted On:
    2/12/2008 11:48am

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CannibalCrowley
    He forced you guys to flip instead of letting you compete? Thatís one of the dumbest things Iíve heard. Unless he paid the travel and entrance fees, I would have told him to go **** himself.
    what he said. Football, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball are team sports. Boxing and Grappling are not. Does anyone remember Vision Quest? Matthew Modine's wrestling coach tell him he's "not a team player" and says "wrestling's not a team sport". Outside of your immediate family, life is not a team sport.
    "Coffee is for Closers" GlenGarry Glenross

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    2/12/2008 12:26pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    #1 No coin flips. Ever.

#2 Compete against each other unless they are from the same school, not the same affiliation.

#3 And only compete against each other at the top of the bracket (to determine 1st, 2nd, 3rd) unless there are no other competitors availible in that bracket.

Anything less is cheapening the victory.

Antiquated

Posted On:
    2/12/2008 1:02pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Isn't the whole point of competitions to compete and gain experience?

I guess I'm a little confused.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    2/12/2008 10:24pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, but the point is you shouldn't have to pay to go against guys you go against everyday. You can do that for free. And even in practice, subliminally you don't go 100% all out because you worry about injuring your training partner.

That's why you only compete against teammates in the finals. They need to exhaust the pool of non-familiar competitors first.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    2/12/2008 10:48pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hell me and my coach would go against each other at tournaments and you can beat your ass I was trying to beat him. Never did but we had a great time doing it.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2008 4:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There have been times of late where if I didn't fight my teammates, I wouldn't actually get a fight, which has happened more often of late after getting the purple belt, which has seemed to be the competitive kiss of death at all but the pan-pacifics to competing against a wide range of other competitors.

It's actually gotten to the stage recently where there is only two guys from other teams, myself and two of my teammates in my weight division. Almost inevitably, me and my teammates end up facing each other, or fighting it out amongst each other on a couple of occasions where the other two competitors were no-shows in the division.

There's no hard feelings at the end of the day. Hell, there's even constructive criticism over beers later. I've been fighting for medals with training partners for years, including one very close ref's decision, and never has there been any problem with the ultimate outcome. Never have we simply flipped for it.

IMO, the coin toss was stupid

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2008 4:39pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NSLightsOut

IMO, the coin toss was stupid
    Sorry for the misunderstanding. The coin toss remark was figurative, not literal. We were free to work it out among ourselves, and there was no animosity or hard feelings at all. Nor would there have been, had we competed. We could have flipped a coin or done whatever we wanted. Our coach wasn't standing over us making us do it.

As an aside, there were several purple belts, and even a couple of brown belts on the mats. It was really cool to see that level of skill on display. For a noob like me, it was awesome to see high level competition like that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2008 6:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why not just compete? I mean you probably know from class training which way it's going to go, so there is no shame in losing to a guy who regularly beats you, and if the usually better grappler ends up losing, that's good for controlling the ego. It drives home the fact that sometimes tournaments are crapshoots and the generally better person doesn't always automatically win.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast