Posted On:
    2/11/2008 10:26am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

London BJJ

Good afternoon my lovelies

I'm pondering trying some BJJ, because all the cool kids say it's fantastic. I've looked up on here for some recommendations, and one of the closest to me is the Roger Gracie school in Clerkenwell, London. http://www.rogergracievieacademy.co.uk

I've signed up for an introductory lesson, but wondered if anyone had any good or bad stories about the school. I've only seen info here about the main class ... it seems on the pricey side (the main school at least), but is that just something that happens with BJJ in general (seems to be the general feeling). Obviously it'd be great to train at one of the Gracie's schools, but then it's not like I'll be training with the man himself, so do I get that much from paying over the odds with this school, or is it worth shopping around? There seem to be more and more BJJ schools showing up in London, but I'm kind of keen to get a good mix of quality and price... not pay too much for nothing, but not pay too little for nothing either.

Sorry if none of that makes sense.. looking forward to rolling around on the floor either way!

Cheers,

Jason

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    2/11/2008 11:58am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A few Bullshidokas train at that academy, most notably, Slideyfoot. They always had positive things to say about it. I'll PM Slidey for you since you don't have enough post to do so yet. That way you can ask a person who trains there any questions you might have.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2008 12:00pm

Style: VT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep- I've trained there Roger is really good, It's worth a visit.
    Only downside is Roger takes the classes at Brasa London also so you'll find most of the time it will be someone else teaching.
    Last edited by Bear1980; 2/11/2008 12:12pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/11/2008 12:01pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    A few Bullshidokas train at that academy, most notably, Slideyfoot. They always had positive things to say about it. I'll PM Slidey for you since you don't have enough post to do so yet. That way you can ask a person who trains there any questions you might have.
    Thanks! I'm too much of a lurker to post, plus I'm scared of getting beaten up by all the _ing _hun haters;)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2008 12:26pm

Style: TKD, wrestling, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL _ing_un

Ok someone had to say it. Good luck with the BJJ. I rolled with a guy who had some chun under him as well as the BJJ and he did a great job controlling my hands and arms and adjusting for take downs.

Don't know how your experience is but it can't hurt.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/11/2008 12:30pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Art
    LOL _ing_un

Ok someone had to say it. Good luck with the BJJ. I rolled with a guy who had some chun under him as well as the BJJ and he did a great job controlling my hands and arms and adjusting for take downs.

Don't know how your experience is but it can't hurt.
    I've got coming up a year of WC behind me.

One of the things that attracted me to BJJ is that our instructor also cross-trains in BJJ and tries to bring some of that into the dreaded "anti-grappling".. which I know everyone laughs at, but I've seen him use some moves on a guy who ALSO cross-trains in BJJ and the mixture seems to work well.

Either that or I'll get my butt handed to me on a plate, but I'm a big lad so hopefully I can take the knocks :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2008 1:06pm

Style: BJJ, MMA,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would recommend it if you have got a fair few bob to spare I do not unfortunately most of the people who work there have no problem affording 90 a month for pure BJJ, 100 if you are advanced.
    It is a very very good business that is for sure I was very impressed by their business sense compared to most martial art schools I wonder if they have done any business management degrees.
    I personally think that 100 is liberties for no wrestling, muay thai or boxing
    It depends on what you want really. If you want pure BJJ and you have the money go for it. If you only went twice a week it would cost you 12.50 a session, where I have trained you get four mma classes for that price. But I am tight fisted and maybe you are not
    There are loads of other good places as well. Where in LDN do you live?
    Cheers

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/11/2008 1:09pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by madhorsebjj
    I would recommend it if you have got a fair few bob to spare I do not unfortunately most of the people who work there have no problem affording 90 a month for pure BJJ, 100 if you are advanced.
    It is a very very good business that is for sure I was very impressed by their business sense compared to most martial art schools I wonder if they have done any business management degrees.
    I personally think that 100 is liberties for no wrestling, muay thai or boxing
    It depends on what you want really. If you want pure BJJ and you have the money go for it. If you only went twice a week it would cost you 12.50 a session, where I have trained you get four mma classes for that price. But I am tight fisted and maybe you are not
    There are loads of other good places as well. Where in LDN do you live?
    Cheers
    Cheers for the info! I live in Lewisham at the moment and work at Blackfriars. I currently train _ing _hun at London Bridge, and if the BJJ place is good that's not too far. I like to save my energy for fightin' rather than travellin'!

Do you have any other recommendations for MMA or similar?

Thanks again!

Still digging on James Brown

Posted On:
    2/11/2008 1:26pm

Style: BJJ & Judo (1k)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear1980
    Yep- I've trained there Roger is really good, It's worth a visit.
    Only downside is Roger takes the classes at Brasa London also so you'll find most of the time it will be someone else teaching.
    Roger Gracie takes classes at Brasa London??

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    2/11/2008 2:04pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where I train isn't too far from you:
    http://www.londonfightfactory.net

We've got MT and MMA as well if, you're up for that, and we're a pretty pleasant bunch once you get passed the musical taste. There're two or three blackbelts on the mat most evening classes and we're a touch less dear than RGA.

I'd recommend you give a couple of places a try before you part with too much of your hard-earned.

Roger Gracie takes classes at Brasa London??
    We're Brasa London and no, he doesn't. He's a tad more likely to sprout wings and fly than teach at a team that's a direct rival to Gracie Barra.
Page 1 of 10 1 2345 ... LastLast