Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2006 1:46pm

Style: KARATE/KICK BOXING

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And ATA obviously just added it to the existing material.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2006 1:46pm

Style: musabetsu kakuto & booj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by prob
    The Block system you mentioned sounds like a system I know as Rotating curricullum.
    Ive found its a good system for organising classes but its pretty impractical for a Traditional Ladder type system that most Traditional Martial Arts use.
    You realy have to create a new curricullum to run it.
    no to mention smaller schools really don't have a choice... i mean, think about teaching 2 yellow belts in one class and then 15 blue belts in the next (that's the problem at our school)... but we're getting it sorted out... since the senior instructor teaches the higher belts whilst the junior and assistant instuctors teach the younger belts in the same class... that way everyone is on their level.

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    8/20/2006 1:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe
    I think his motivation was more the fact that she was part of a large family that was enrolled in an "advanced" program, and was playing politics. The "quota" didn't drive him with this one because he had already "no-changed" (failed) her the past 4 times she tried. The ATA states that this calls for a demotion back to red belt, but that never happens.

The quota of promotions is a requirement to advance to the higher dans, yes you're right. 100/mo for 5th degree, 250/mo for 6th degree, 500/mo for Mastership. The instructor is expected to maintain those numbers in order to keep the "yoke" (extra stripe) added to his collar. These requirements are strictly enforced for 5th degrees, but fairly loose for the higher levels.
    But on the subject of quotas.Would a 6th or 7th degree need to maintain those high numbers even after he has attain his rank?
    It's interesting. A way around this is the fact that if you work full-time or operate a school FOR an instructor who meets these requirements, then you qualify for these promotions as well. This is how high ranking Masters are able to "acquire" other surrounding schools, because other instructors need to be able to meet the requirements for promotion.
    So,the faster he can get people to instructor rank.The faster these people will begin teaching.The more motivated these people are of teaching the larger their classes may become.So it's in the best interest of everyone to branch and open their own school if they ever want to see their next DAN promotion.

OK! I got it. Itís a business. Like selling insurance of going door to door selling knives.If you want to win point to win that trip to hawaii.Than you got to get those people to sign.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/20/2006 1:53pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    But on the subject of quotas.Would a 6th or 7th degree need to maintain those high numbers even after he has attain his rank?
    No. They are given collar stripes to represent those numbers, and are told they will be stripped of those collars if they don't maintain the numbers (which doesn't happen), but not their rank. There are also exceptions to these quotas. For example, I think the requirements are cut in half e.g. if you have earned a World Championship or coach the World Demo Team. But I really don't think they're paid too close attention to.

So,the faster he can get people to instructor rank.The faster these people will begin teaching.The more motivated these people are of teaching the larger their classes may become.So it's in the best interest of everyone to branch and open their own school if they ever want to see their next DAN promotion.
    Exactly. Your junior's testings count toward your testing numbers. So the faster you can get a satellite opened, the closer you can come to those numbers you need.

OK! I got it. Itís a business. Like selling insurance of going door to door selling knives.If you want to win point to win that trip to hawaii.Than you got to get those people to sign.
    We agree.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2006 1:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sounds more like a pyramid scheme...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2006 2:01pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is just depressing.

But im not sure how i can blame the ATA, as i guess it seems alot of people are willing to buy into that crap.

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    8/20/2006 2:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok!The next important question that I have to ask is.It's probably gonna make you cry.I'm sorry.

How much cash would you say you paid into your entire time at the ATA?Everything from the first day you walked in to your last payment to the organisation.IE;Cost of equipment and trips to seminars.And of course the cost of seminars.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2006 2:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    some things that make me laugh about songahm:
    - decided and recommended belts
    - camo belts
    - xma with plastic/foam weapons and the rediculous uniform
    - overweight masters, instructors
    - point sparring
    - the "doboks"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2006 2:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    also... "eternal grand master" lee stated he found serious issues with the traditional taekwondo that existed at that time. noting specifically that initial forms did not include kicks and so forth. but it should be noted that the official first poomse in WTF is taekguk il-jang which does, in fact, have two front snap kicks. there seems to be more issues with ATA than any of the other major taekwondo federations

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/20/2006 2:12pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow I never sat to think about it. I was lucky enough to be locked into a rate when I signed up (before the days of Black Belt Clubs). I think I paid $54.50/month up through testing for my 3rd degree... so about 72 months = $3924 in just tuition. Then I was the inaugural member of the school's Masters Club so I got a rate of $999 for the next five years. After that, I was locked in as a lifetime member and did not continue to pay tuition. So about $5000 total in tuition. About $550 in all testings prior to testing for my 1st degree. $1300 for all testings for black belt ranks through fourth degree including midterms. $400 for instruction certification seminar (chump-change compared to the almost $2K they pay today taking class after class after class). So about $7000 total for classes and rank. Who knows how much I've spent on things I optionally wanted to do, such as weapons clinics and tournament competition?!
Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast