Page 12 of 43 FirstFirst ... 289101112 1314151622 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2006 8:31pm

Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The way I look at it is that when I was teaching, my uniform was my work clothes. So I made sure they looked good. When I was training, that was a different matter.

I had two sets of uniforms: teaching and training. The teaching ones I tried to keep as nice as possible. The training ones I tried to keep presentable (which basically meant that there weren't too many stains or rips and that it didn't smell too bad).

Alot of my teachers had been in the Korean military and would let you know if they felt your uniform wasn't in good enough shape.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2006 8:36pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, the height of comedy was staying at a hotel for a tournament (with a bunch of other ATA people) and everyone looking for the one iron the hotel had at 6 in the morning.

I never ironed my uniform, I hate the creases...and I'm damn proud of the blood stains I've got on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor X
    One could say the same for religion. . . .
    Good call.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2006 9:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At the last school I was at a TKD guy showed up to check out our school. He was about 55 and he said his hips were gone from full contact TKD. He was looking for a new style/school. He HATED ATA. I didn't get a real clear response from him about why but now I think I understand.
    I'm glad to hear you've had the revelation so many of us here have had. I'm glad that I found Bullshido and was willing to listen to some of the arguments for a more alive form of training. In the last few weeks since I made the leap my perspective has really changed, and every day I'm learning something new and now I know when what I'm learning works and when it doesn't.
    It's hard to invest any amount of time in something and then realize you need to turn your back on it for some reason. I have a lot of respect for someone like you who invested so much time and effort into something you believed in, and even more respect for being willing to not only turn to a new way of seeing/doing, but to get the word out about your experiences. Hopefully some kid out there will see your post and will be made aware before he gets sold by the ATA or some other Mcdojo. Best of luck to you.
    OK, that's all the nutriding you'll receive from me.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/22/2006 10:42am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Crow, I've got a couple questions for you, check your PM.

EDIT: Crap, Bullshido gods say no PM's for you. I have questions that are slightly related but a bit outside of this thread how can I get in touch with you?
    Last edited by GoldenJonas; 8/22/2006 10:52am at .

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    8/22/2006 12:47pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin.74
    That would be interesting. Has anyone ever heard of an ATA guy competing at Olympic Trials?
    Nope.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2006 1:04pm

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In regards to an ATA-guy competing in the Olympic games...

Jody Horn a (now) 5th degree instructor from Colorado was a semi-finalist / alternate for the 2000 Sydney Olympics. I don't know if there have been others before or since.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2006 2:25pm

Style: AMAI TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The worshipping of clothes.

I do not have it at hand, but in R.W. Smith's chapter on Donn Draeger he describes training at the Kodokan where you go grab your stiff gi that had been soaked the day before from the peg to go roll. The embroidery on the gis--name--were started so people would not mix them up.

I mean, do people iron their t-shirts and shorts?
    Nothing about worshipping my clothes. I clean and take care of what I wear. Clothes last longer and look better. They look like I care about enough about what I do to take care of my stuff.

And to those who leave the blood in their uniforms....yuck. I have no problem with blood (I work in a blood gas lab for a children's ICU), or some one working out with a blood stained uniform if it happened that class. But I don't want to be in contact with someone's blood. Epsecially if they could've cleaned it out yesterday. And blood stains are not hard to get out if you wash your uniform right after class. You should be washing it anyway to prevent fungus and other crap from dank uniforms.

As for the ATA guys in the Olympics. As mentioned, Cory Hill (now a 4th degree) came close and we have more and more people going to the trials. The ATA has been holding camps for Olympic style sparring. The ATA now has XMA forms and weapons competition to go alongside "Traditional" forms and weapons competition. I am waiting for the alternate sparring division to go alongside our "traditional" point-slappy sparring competition. Ya have to update your product every few years (and the ATA has been doing this) and I have a feeling it will be either be a Olympic sparring divison or a WCL-ish division. (Unlikely, but there were some hints to a possibility of this)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2006 3:16pm

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm currently a school owner with ATA, and I will take a few issues with what Crowe posted.

First off, promotion to high rank is not dependant on your testing numbers. They are a part of it, but not all of it. ATA instituted a point system, where you earn points by actively judging at tournaments, taking educational seminars to improve your teaching skills, and several other means. It is a much, much fairer system than the old body count method.

Second, not every ATA school is a belt factory. Some of us old dinosaurs still have the antiquated opinion that we are supposed to be teaching quality martial arts, not just being a daycare for munchkins. We still think our students should have to break a sweat, we actually think they need to be able to do their material to promote and not just write a check, and other heretical concepts of quality like Grand Master H. U. Lee used to insist on. And we think that we would rather have our gonads crushed with pliers rather than teach using the block system. Unfortunately, we're a dying breed.

Having said that, I have to admit that much of what Crowe posted is correct. I can't really stand up and defend ATA like I used to. All I can do is try to work from within and keep the quality standards up in my school and lead by example. And in the long run, that's really all any of us can do, isn't it?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2006 3:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by emboesso
    Could someone familiar with ATA practises comment on the possible truth of this? I remember reading this on USENET a few years back:

I have heard this claimed more than once. Is there something in the franchise agreement wherein they can claim ownership of a building used to teach ATA TKD? I assume that couldn't possibly apply to rentals of course.
    It's BS. There is no franchise agreement in the ATA.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/22/2006 11:37pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GoldenJones, send an email: mistercrowe@gmail.com
Page 12 of 43 FirstFirst ... 289101112 1314151622 ... LastLast