Sponsored Links Spacer Image

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    2/13/2008 12:29am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've seen a lot of kids compete in pankration matches. Some are very technical and it is conducted in a very friendly atmosphere. It seemed like the kids really enjoyed it. That's a little different than MMA for a few reasons:
    1. There isn't as much of the TapOut/Affliction/Nap, Tap or Snap/Kobra Kai macho bullshit that's been more and more popular in MMA.
    2. Because of the lack of head contact, it seems like more of a legitemate sport than MMA and the possible concerns with developmental problems are taken away. Also, a lot of kids freak out when they are hit in the face. Having said that, I've seen some very nice, well adjusted kids who learned to box young, but they wear the bigger gloves.
    3. The refs err on the side of safety. They call the match when a lock reaches nearly full extension rather than tap, etc. It shouldn't be a bloodsport at such a young age, and an audience who wants to see that is deranged.

Can things like this lead to messed up kids? Yeah, so can any contact sports mixed with messed up parents. With the correct environment and parenting, I think fight sports can be very good for children. They just need to learn that it's a sport, not an actual fight, and its not acceptable to use the skills you develop to bully others.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2008 12:31am

Style: brazillian jiu jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    Why do you think they'll end up juvenille deliquents because they've been allowed to take part in a sport where kickboxing is interrupted by rolling on the floor that ends with tap?
    My concern is with how violence is being presented to these children. It's not necessarily kickboxing or grappling that is bad, it's how the aggression and violence is taught. Children are highly susceptible to the influence of others. I have worked in a juvenile detention facility, and a common characteristic is that they have learned violence and aggression as an acceptible way (or, more accurately, the primary way) to deal with others.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/13/2008 9:06am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kismasher
    that video is edited. the fight was stopped for an extended period in the first round after the ref thought that one of the kids had hurt his foot or ankle or something (can't remember exactly). the parent's asked to continue as far as i know. i wasn't going to comment any more on this but i haven't had a chance to drop by the gym and let them know this was posted.
    That's unacceptable. It should be the referee and the medical doctor who must determine if the fight goes on once it's been stopped due to medical concerns, not the fighter, not the coaches, and certainly not the expectators (and the parents are expectators, nothing more than that.)

I could see a parent stepping up and asking the fight to be stopped. I cannot understand a parent asking the fight to be resumed after the ref called it to stop for suspecting an injury.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 1:18am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMAmanager

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    videos been removed.......i couldnt believe what i was seeing the first timei watched it...
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516