Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    2/12/2008 7:14am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgar42Ox
    I only think they should give them headgear. I dont think an 8 year old has enough testosterone to build muscles that could actually cause brain damage.
    Are you serious? Who was that kid that they showed on the Discovery Channel? The bodybuilding kid?

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgar420x
    I also dont think that when they stop doing mma they are going to need to vent their *agression* on random bystanders or whatever old man was talking about. Thats what Grand Theft Auto is for.
    You dont THINK. Besides I didnt say "random bystanders". Dont put words in my mouth to make you argument look better.
    They will behave like all children behave when the attention they used to get goes away. They will act out, only these most likely wont turn to drugs/alcohol, they will venttheir frustration with violence. Why? Because thats all they know.

Stop trolling you fuckstick.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    2/12/2008 7:23am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    You just gave an argument why letting children box or play Rugby, or maybe even that padded -up thing you call 'football' at school is wrong.

What?
    No I didnt. I just made an argument as to why children shouldnt be doing MMA in the capacity that the fight showed. I didnt mention rugby, boxing or football.
    Boxing for children uses headgear and heavily padded gloves.
    American Football uses padding and lots of it. I know because I played football for 15 years.
    American kids dont play a lot of rugby, so I wouldnt know what they do. Of course I didnt mention rugby so that point is as moot as the football/boxing one.

Someone said that they arent our children so we should stay out of it (to paraphrase). I said that when they become problem children and get locked up in Juvie, then they become my children because they are sucking up tax resources. I would like to prevent that.
    Following this logic (the they arent my children one)no one should step in when they see a child suffering abuse then. They arent your children, stay out of it. What harm can a few cigarette burns do right?

The potential for serious harm is greater in the environment shown on the video. Add some padding and maybe a better ref, and let them try their hand at it.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/12/2008 10:19am

supporting member
     Style: fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that video is edited. the fight was stopped for an extended period in the first round after the ref thought that one of the kids had hurt his foot or ankle or something (can't remember exactly). the parent's asked to continue as far as i know. i wasn't going to comment any more on this but i haven't had a chance to drop by the gym and let them know this was posted.

Posted On:
    2/12/2008 1:18pm

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So it gets stopped for an ankle injury....but not a possible concussion from a position where the kid can't defend himself?

And it was left up to the PARENTS whether or not their child could continue?!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/12/2008 1:29pm

supporting member
     Style: fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KenshinBt10
    So it gets stopped for an ankle injury
    I think that's what it was.

....but not a possible concussion from a position where the kid can't defend himself?

I suppose. I thought the fight should have been stopped earlier; however, I also know the ref has worked dozens of fights so I not going to presume to pass judgment on him. Honestly, I thought the whole spectacle was a little disgusting. I don't have a problem with the kids fighting but the atmosphere was definitely not "family oriented" nor was it meant to be.

And it was left up to the PARENTS whether or not their child could continue?!
    I don't know exactly. There was a bunch of people huddled up around the ring talking about it and that was the conclusion that I took away from it. Also, there were numerous doctors and medical personnel on hand along with the State Athletic Commission that allowed the fight to continue.

More than anything, I was pretty appalled at the behavior of the "ginger's" mom who stood at ringside and screamed at her kid the whole time.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    2/12/2008 7:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman34
    No I didnt. I just made an argument as to why children shouldnt be doing MMA in the capacity that the fight showed. I didnt mention rugby, boxing or football.
    Boxing for children uses headgear and heavily padded gloves.
    American Football uses padding and lots of it. I know because I played football for 15 years.
    American kids dont play a lot of rugby, so I wouldnt know what they do. Of course I didnt mention rugby so that point is as moot as the football/boxing one.
    MMA is kickboxing + grappling. The impact trauma sustained is less. Why do you think it's more dangerous for them?

Someone said that they arent our children so we should stay out of it (to paraphrase). I said that when they become problem children and get locked up in Juvie, then they become my children because they are sucking up tax resources. I would like to prevent that.
    Why do you think they'll end up juvenille deliquents because they've been allowed to take part in a sport where kickboxing is interrupted by rolling on the floor that ends with tap?
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2008 7:42pm

Style: TKD, wrestling, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why do you think they'll end up juvenille deliquents because they've been allowed to take part in a sport where kickboxing is interrupted by rolling on the floor that ends with tap?
    Probably more so due to the culture of the sport.

McCainosaurus Rex

Posted On:
    2/12/2008 8:39pm

Style: Very Thai Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sorry, maybe we weren't watching the same video. Did you see the FUCKING kid with the red hair? I haven't seen that much animosity in most professional MMA matches. There was no mutual respect, just two kids taught to be the most violent bullies they can be by their parents so that they can profit off of it. Kids can be the most hateful, violent people in the world, it just takes the right parenting.

Posted On:
    2/12/2008 11:51pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MMA is kickboxing + grappling. The impact trauma sustained is less. Why do you think it's more dangerous for them?

The kickboxing + grappling analogy fails because you can't give kids extra padding on the gloves and maintain the ability to grapple.

The atmosphere at that fight was inappropriate for kids. I don't think there was a learning opportunity there, which is a big part of kids' martial arts.

Finally, the appeal of mma is having as few rules as possible and still get sanctioned. Kids can't consent to this type of fight. They are kids!

Also, no one needs this. Kids have plenty of healthy alternatives.
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 51112131415 16 LastLast