Posted On:
    2/09/2008 1:42pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Traditional Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

what actually makes a good MA?

Alright,

The idea behind this thread is proper discussion on what actually makes a good martial arts. This comes from some pondering i was doing the other day as I wanted to take another martial arts up probably a TMA mixed with BJJ or MT. The reasoning being I had to take 3 months off my MA training in Traditional Ju Jitsu and when I went back I just looked at it kind of critical (a little from reading this website) and started asking questions such as when in the **** im a going to do that inan actual fight(or sparring). I mean the moves become more and more complicated with about a hundred things to learn for one part of the grading and I started to wonder if im wasting my time which is a disappointing feeling because I really believed it was worth while and I wanted my black belt. Now Im not so sure I can even be bothered to go on the three years it would take to get it. So in a moment of phiolospohical thinking I decided I would try ananlyse what I knew of the arts and apply some reasoning towards deciding the best one for myself.

What a fucking disaster that was.

Being scientifical minded (im studying for a degree in physics) I started to analyse all the minute details of every class I had been to.

- Aikido

What is really weird about this is that it is not that bad scienitfically speaking. A lot of the movements actually make sense with regards some laws relating to forces (angular momentum, torque etc.) Reminds me a lot of how the discus throwers harness angular momentum to throw a discus in competitions. So this instantly had some positives. BUT then I remember the god-awful time I had for the 3 months at the classes. In-dojo bitching, people with their heads rammed so far up their own arse it was unreal(Aikido is the best, blah blah blah), no strikes, far too compliant partners, the whole fucking GRAB MY WRIST bollocks. So Aikido was out.

- Wing Chun

What i like about this art is the hand speed and a couple of the blocks.

What I fucking hate about this art is the following: when the instructor complains that I have lost my structure because I have just chinned him with a beauty hook and then makes me stay on the spot so he can hit me back as he loses his structure!(fucker), the utter cultish way I was taught that the centre line punch has more power than a good straight or a hook - this is an argument that I wish Newton was still around to fight cos he would have slapped Yip Man across his bald head for talking wank, this incessant mantra of 'Well if you do this, then ive got this, then if you do that then ive got that.' which relied on the sole fact of me actually standing there like a pleb going 'Please hit me o great one.'

My mate has been doing WC for nearly 3 years and is obsessed by it and I dont mind being proved wrong so asked to spar with him. I KNOCKED the **** out of him with limited boxing skills and speed. So WC was out.

KickBoxing

- One reason - I turned up to a class which had no equipment and they were punching FRESH AIR because that will hit back wont it?. Dear god.

I know it sounds like a rant and it is but not because I hate MA its because im frustrated by all the **** out there that is being taught.

I know there is some experienced people out there on the site so can some one point me in the right direction. I have some other stuff about my experiences and a few links for you lot to check out but im out on the lash tonight so I have to go and get ready!

I ll post the links first chance I get.

:help:

Posted On:
    2/09/2008 1:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lurk just a little bit more and post a whole lot less.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/09/2008 1:51pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Traditional Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sorry just read that back I didnt really make what I was getting at clear. Im looking for some advice on what criteria makes a good MA?

For example, I think a good MA should teach basic strikes before anything else. Simple jab, hook, straight and uppercut - bread and butter stuff so to speak.

Thanks again!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2008 2:35pm

Style: Jiu-jitsu & HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=0
    Just pretend I was able to make this embed.
    Last edited by SBG-ape; 2/09/2008 2:38pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/09/2008 3:30pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi!

I am no expert by any means but I have had some limited boxing & judo experience when I was younger & have had a few streetfights.

I also tried karate for a couple of weeks then didnt go again as I had a feeling it didnt seem that effective, also a smaller friend of mine (with no matial art training) floored a black belt in a club in front of me for messing with his sister (the karate mans ex) . I tried kung fu & was impressed by the speed but disappointed when I saw more experienced fighters heavy sparing but when blows landed they didnt seem to do much.

Then mma came out & we all got to see what really worked & what didnt....

I found a small local muay thai club about 6 months ago...all pad training at first (no fist in the air stuff apart from shadow boxing to show your instructor your flaws). We were then encouraged to body spar, then heavy boxing sparing, then full hands & legs (not elbows & knees due to damage they cause but we trained them too), also a lot of clinching.

Full contact sparing is the way to go in my opinion, its been a while since being punched on the nose & damn it was a shock but Im glad that happened sparing than in a street fight. Its given me real fighting experience & practical knowlege about moves that work.

Muay thai obviously only covers the striking game & I may take up judo (again) or BJJ to sort out my ground skills....

Good luck with whatever you choose & check the site for more ideas!!!

So if its striking you are looking for this may be the one for you, not only does it cover the bread & butter stuff u want ie jabs hooks etc but the thai kicks are damn powerful, I never thought my kicks would be great as Im not that flexable, but Im getting good with low kicks, the knees they teach are fight stoppers, oh & if that dont float your boat how about elbows ????

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/10/2008 12:16am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kyukido, TKD, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A "good martial art" is one that helps you accomplish your goals.

If that's larping a bit and limbering up, power to ya', don't overthink it.

If you want to get in shape, find a place you walk out of exhausted. Simple enough.

If you want to learn to fight, look for a school that spars regularly and has opportunities to fight people who don't practice the same style you do (a bunch of larpers will seem effective if they remain cloistered, but if you cross train and test the stuff out in a variety of situations... well, it cuts down on the bullshido techniques is all).

I think you should consider cross training, anyway. I realize this isn't always an option 'cause let's face it; a kindly old janitor isn't going to teach you for free and then give you a vintage automobile IRL, right? But you can usually dig up a lower cost place to agument what ever you're doing, like the YMCA or a school club. Basically any legitimate place that will give you a different perspective would fit the bill.

Posted On:
    2/10/2008 12:23am

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If this were a [mirror universe] I would be:
    :deadhorse

now where are you studying for a degree in physics? No really, I want to know what schools to stay away from.

Posted On:
    2/10/2008 12:25am

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crainium_trauma
    sorry just read that back I didnt really make what I was getting at clear. Im looking for some advice on what criteria makes a good MA?

For example, I think a good MA should teach basic strikes before anything else. Simple jab, hook, straight and uppercut - bread and butter stuff so to speak.

Thanks again!
    In your world, BJJ must really suck.

King of the Impossible

Posted On:
    2/10/2008 12:30am

supporting member
     Style: Grapplomancer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I saw the title, without capitalization, and disliked you.

I read your post, and liked you because of your good grammar, and saying you wanted to look at things scientifically.

Then I read "how would you make a good MA" and went neutral.

Short version:
    A good MA is good at fighting. It teaches what works.

Long version:
    THERE ISN'T LOLS

Seriously dude, it sounds like you enjoy boxing. Take boxing. If you want to be more competitive in an MMA sense, take a ground game (BJJ?) and add in Muay Thai. That is the recipe for cake.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    2/10/2008 12:41am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SBG-ape
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=0
    Just pretend I was able to make this embed.
    Fixed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_T0WLoI6pk

Listen to Thornton's wise words crainium_trauma.
    Last edited by Lu Tze; 2/10/2008 12:44am at .
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast