Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2008 3:32am

Style: Bicep Curls

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Shin Dents that never heal?

I have several dents in my shin that have never healed (some are quite deep), would this be a problem if I start taking kickboxing? I'm kinda paranoid after watching shin break videos.

The gift that keeps on giving

Posted On:
    2/08/2008 4:00am

supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How did you get the dents? Have you talked to your doctor about them?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/08/2008 6:37am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He's probably referring to the bruises you get on your shins from getting your kicked blocked. Happened to me last night a couple times so my dent is still very tender. I've only been in mma this time around for a month and haven't got my kicks down yet, so I had the noob tendency to throw multiple ones directly into an appropriately time block. It smarts. Luckily I'm fairly tall and after those few times I just aimed higher and started kicking rib level.

But the bruise I have know feels like a good one and I honestly don't expect it to go away for a while. How long have you had the dents you're referring to?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2008 8:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have two major ones. One I got when I was about 12, my brother kicked me/sweeped me. Another in High School, was playing soccer and I had the ball, someone pretty much "soccer kicked" (took a massive swing) my leg. Also got one recently when I was fucking around with my friend, I kicked, he blocked and I got owned. I had an X-ray taken, nothing showed up so naturally doctor just said its nothing. The last one healed over nicely tho, now I have a lump of bone there.

Never bothered to get a check up on the previous incidents.

Posted On:
    2/08/2008 10:30am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You get your shins hardblocked often enough, you'll end up with hairline fractures. Temporary thing: as with other bones in adults, the cracks will heal over (assuming you're not overdoing it and they get the chance to) with slightly thicker bone over the former site of the crack.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/08/2008 10:50am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To the OP, get a foam roller and do some myofascial release. If it's only bruising and scar tissue forming on your shins and nothing else (or more serious), that will take care of it.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 2/08/2008 11:32am at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2008 11:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Posted On:
    2/08/2008 3:38pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've got a dent that's 10 years old, and has never given me trouble when doing Muay Thai. Got it from knocking my leg into a table as I was restraining someone. It was a huge egg that burst, and had a dent ever after. It really hasn't me any problems when kicking or checking kicks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2008 12:49am

Style: MT, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    To the OP, get a foam roller and do some myofascial release. If it's only bruising and scar tissue forming on your shins and nothing else (or more serious), that will take care of it.
    Good idea. I got a huge lump in my shin a couple years back from checking a leg kick. I didn't do this, because I wasn't aware that you could do this at the time. But I did take pictures.

The first picture was the next day, 2nd was 5 days later, 3rd is 10 days later.

The coolest part was if I pushed really hard I could leave a finger print in the lump that would take upwards of 10 minutes to go away. I wore a shin guard over it for the next 6 months and eventually it sorta went away, and what didn't hardened up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	667 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	8771  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	8772  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	357 
Size:	114.7 KB 
ID:	8773  

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    2/10/2008 4:37am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't even worry about it. I have dents from 10+ years ago. Shin clashes are inevitable. Some people get xrays to make sure. But I call them pussies. Probably use some kind of linament oil they got from Century. Whjat you really need is some greenstick fractures to make your shins grown back hareder than they were before. Yer a fuckin man when you get dents that have grown from fructures.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast