Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/08/2008 5:26pm

supporting member
     Style: boxing/muy thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyd
    Yeah guys, there's acceptable McDojoism and unacceptable McDojoism. If this is true, ATT is DTT.
    elephant in the boards.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2008 5:27pm

Style: No-Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only redeeming qualities of this move is what will happen for ATT. Not only the increase in sales for the certification course, but the students will probably head THERE to train it better. It leaves the taste in the student's mouth of MMA and gives them the chance to decide whether or not they're going to keep training shitty or move on to the real deal. It's exposure. Whether you agree with how it's done is the problem here.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2008 5:43pm

Style: n/a

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli
    then something should be done.
    Yeah. Let's all draft a vitriolic letter!!

Tomas

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/08/2008 5:50pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomas Drgon
    Yeah. Let's all draft a vitriolic letter!!

Tomas
    I was hoping for something like having someone from ATT explain the intricacies of the program (I got my description of it from a teacher at Memphis Judo and JJ who was irritated that a karate school was plastering the local Hooters with flyers for its new MMA classes right before UFC viewing night, so it is perhaps possible that there was some bias and distortion involved) before we leap wildly into action, or maybe hear from some people who have trained at schools that have gone through the program about what the quality of instruction is. But you get to work on that letter.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/08/2008 6:04pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomas Drgon
    [sarcasm]Yeah. Let's all draft a vitriolic letter!!

Tomas[/sarcasm]
    Fixed.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    2/09/2008 7:36am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyril
    The only redeeming qualities of this move is what will happen for ATT. Not only the increase in sales for the certification course, but the students will probably head THERE to train it better.

I doubt many people are going to be able to move across country just for MMA training, unless they are wanting to do it for a living

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2008 1:03am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never heard about this. Then again, I've been out of training for a year with a knee injury so a lot of stuff might have changed while I was gone. One of the other ATTers on this board might be able to shed some light on the subject. I'll go to the main website (www.americantopteam.com) and see if I can dig anything up.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    2/11/2008 9:06am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as I know it's true. I can't say that I'm overly pleased about this, but I'd have to see exactly what the courses are going to offer and what the certifications actually say before I make up my mind. At first glance this idea is pretty disturbing to me though.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    2/11/2008 9:43am

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Vince is right though.
    If a TKD school started teaching grappling after lets say a weekend seminar in Vegas, then people would be riled up about it.
    TKD ( I use TKD becasue it is what I know ) uses multiple belt ranks, lots of testing, and 3 years to BB and its called McDojoism. They have to pay the bills just like ATT.

Why do they get a pass on this?

No one will move to Florida to learn MMA, when they think they are getting quality instruction at home. (Remember that they are certified by American Top Team to teach MMA so they must know what they are doing right?)

The ATA is condemned for its MMA program yet ATT gets to slide? Again I ask why?

I saw an ad for an ATA school in Memphis that read..."Want to be a cage fighter, or just train like one? Check us out!"
    The school is now closed. It was near the University of Memphis.
    I was appalled by it, but now that we can all agree that people have to "keep the lights on" who cares? I am going to start teaching grappling at my TKD school. As long as I dont claim I learned it in underground cage fights, from a 3,000 yr old manuscript or from some Brazilian guy who used to live next door to me Im ok right? After all...I have to keep the lights on.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    2/11/2008 9:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I called ATT today 954.425.0705 and asked about their certification program.
    They hold camps three times a year and the camps are about three weeks long. I am going to send off for the info packet and see what the cost is.
    If this is a legit way to teach it, then I want to add it to my schools curriculum.
    I sent them an email asking for info.
    If this is a legit way to add something to peoples training, then I am interested.

When I say "add something" I dont mean run a MMA gym and train fighters. I would like to add an all around base to the program we etach.

This where ATT sent me. These people are handling the program.

http://www.masuccess.com/

It offers a 3 day training/certification program.

I also find it strange that masuccess shares the same address as Century Martial Arts.

1000 Century Blvd
    Oklahoma City, OK.
    Last edited by HonkyTonkMan; 2/11/2008 12:51pm at .
Page 2 of 69 FirstFirst 12 34561252 ... LastLast