Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/07/2008 1:05pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

American Top Team, Say It Ain't So!

I know we have a lot of guys from American Top Team on these boards, so I hope they can clear this up one way or another. Is it true that ATT is running a program where karate/taekwondo/wing chun/whatever high ranking belts attend a weeks worth of classes at Top Team in Florida, receive a bunch of instructional books and DVDs, then get a certification to teach MMA from Top Team?
    Allegedly, there is at least one karate school in Memphis that has done this to add "MMA" classes to their curriculum, I'm praying that this is not true because Top Team is one of the most respectable schools/fight teams in the world right now and if they are selling out to McDojoism like this...is there hope for any of us?

Posted On:
    2/07/2008 1:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think this was brought up previously. If it's true, it's mcdojoism, but putting fighters into the ring/cage and running a full time gym isn't cheap, so you do what you have to do.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/07/2008 1:24pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hope not. I do Tae Kwon Do, and have for some time. But what would make me think I could teach MMA? It's not the same thing. I couldn't take some dvds and pamplets and think I could teach someone to ground pound. Would be like taking a wrestler and trying to teach him the forms and one-steps of Tae Kwon Do from a book and making him an instant instructor. I've been contemplating studying some ground fighting myself, it would be a 100 mile one way to do it but I'd really like to. Problem is I'm getting old and wife is throwing a fit. Think it'll be worth it, I'd much rather put forth the effort and actually learn it much less teach it.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/07/2008 1:47pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know if it's been discussed or not, I was hoping one of the guys we have here from ATT could provide more information. I'm not begrudging anybody's right to feed their children, but are things so desperate in Florida that they have to resort to stuff like this? If that's the case, MMA really is a long way from being a self supporting mainstream sport.

Posted On:
    2/07/2008 1:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli
    If that's the case, MMA really is a long way from being a self supporting mainstream sport.
    Of course, until large scale sponsorship deals are as common as they are in other sports. until then, people have to do what they can to keep the doors open and the lights on.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    2/07/2008 2:03pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There have been a couple of threads of this (SERCH FUNKTUN NOOB)

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=American+Team

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...t=tEAM+PROGRAM

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46658

I would imagine the quality is in in direct proportion to the actual interest of the school owner.

~do they want a quick buck? quality will teh suxors

~do they really want to add another dimension to their art? quality will be above-par

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/08/2008 4:27pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let's make sure we're all clear on this: American Top Team is certifying people to teach MMA after one week of training. The rationale for this is: well, ATT needs the money. And everyone is cool with this?
    MY GOD THIS HYPOCRISY!!! Replace the words "American Top Team" in the above sentence with Mark Hatmaker, Gene Simcoe, or Ashida Kim and this thread would already be 20 pages long with enough flames to melt the monitor and people would be vowing to storm onto the mats of these "MMA" schools and scream "Tanomau!" but since it's American Top Team it's okay?
    Where do we draw the line? Is it okay for Top Team to start awarding belts in MMA because "they need the money"? Is it okay for them to start testing for BJJ belts via video because "they need the money"? If a Kempo, Catch Wrestling, Ninjutsu, or Kung Fu school was found certifying people to teach after ONE WEEK of training it would be a sign of irredeemable bullshit and McDojoism, but it's okay for American Top Team to do it?
    I must have missed the fine print on the site slogan "Fighting BS in the Martial Arts*"

*Unless the bullshit is being spewed by American Top Team, then it's okay. We love you guys

Guess which finger is the fickle one...

Posted On:
    2/08/2008 4:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate/ Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    * crickets *

.....OK, Vince, thanks for another nice thread,

and in other news.....
    If you can't laugh at yourself,
    Others will be happy to do it for you. :evil6:

The 2 most abundant elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/08/2008 4:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, I'm actually being serious for a change. If ATT really is pulling crap like this, and if I'm reading those threads aardvarks posted right, then the answer from the ATT contingent at bullshido was "Yep, hopefully it won't end up sucking too much", then something should be done.

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    2/08/2008 5:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah guys, there's acceptable McDojoism and unacceptable McDojoism. If this is true, ATT is DTT.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon
Page 1 of 69 1 23451151 ... LastLast