Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/08/2008 10:55am

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    With spacers? A whole stack of ten patio blocks. Note that this beats the scores of both Travis Brickley and Tung Sung Moon. Usually I only get six or eight though.
    That's kind of impressive.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    2/08/2008 10:59am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenchu
    I dont have a fight record. I am pro fighter, but begginer. I mean I fight in professional fights. I completely skipped the ametuer phase. The gym in Thailand I train at has courses that consist of 4 levels. Mauy Thai 1, takes a couple of weeks, as do 2 and 3. The final course is Muay Thai 4, it takes 3 or 4 months to complete, and the final test you have to do a professional fight at the gym at their stadium where you train.

Here, check the gym site out: http://www.muaythai-institute.net/

Notice it says you MUST do a pro fight to complete the full time course. Thailand does not have an ametuer league in Muay Thai really. You enter the ring and you are there for one reason and one reason only, trying to get a gold. I posted a pic of me out front of that gym in the intro thread, but here it is again:

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p...gher/Bow_1.jpg

So no, I dont have a huge fight record, only done a few. But I am trying for some wins, and planning on entering k1 and UFC soon enough. Oh, and just as so you know, I have more experience in fighting than just the several months full time I have spent at this gym, I started when I was 14. And was in Army too, machine gunner in the infantry.

DHNK: Muay Thai shin conditioning is the same as iron palm. Iron Palm that I saw under Grand Master William Chueng back home in Melbourne, they would use sandbags, which did flex slightly. Useing stone and metal is dangerous to the bone joints. Chinese will not do this, it is stupid or misguided if they do. The traditional Muay Thai method is as you say, banana trees. Yet the trees are cut into meter long pieces, and tied to a large wooden tree, and then kicked, so they dont move. Ultimatley, it is pretty much the same as hiting a sandbag, but slightly juicy. The effect is it deadens nerves, like you say, and also increases bone density. I know this for a fact. This is why I mock you guys so much about iron palm. None of you are showing the common knowledge to admit it true, and you say you guyz train? When I first started Muay Thai I would bruise the bones every day, and then have to rest for 3 days or so. Now the bones are harder and stronger, from training, and they never bruise. Iron palm, iron shin, it is the same thing. The impact creates tiny fractures, as it says in fight science, and when the fractures heal, the bones are more solid and dense. As it said in fight science. And as you guys nock fight science vid so much, do you remember, the guys breaking stuff did do some strikes on concrete without the spacers used. Yes, there were not as many bricks, but about 5 or so, i think.

The fact you guyz dis iron palm so much only shows your lack of training. The ENTIRE Muay Thai and Wushu comunity know it is fact the bones can be strengthened through safe and controled bashing of them. Bones are not dead, they are alive, like muscles. They heal, like muscles. You break em, just a little bit, like weightlifter does to his muscles, then they heal back stronger. Every Muay Thai and Wushu fighter who is competant in their style knows this, the fact you guys dont say your interaction with these comunities is very limited.

Next time you want to nock someone, take a look in the mirror first and see if you dont need a bit of nockin yourself first.

An entire anthropology masters could be written on the scientifically flawed beliefs of cultures that still produced good fighters. Exercise, particularly load-bearing exercise like, gee, I don't know, lifting weights, can increase bone density. Bones do heal "thicker" where broken. Taking these two science facts and adding the anecdotal "I kicked a tree and over time it bothered me less...it must have thickened my bones, deadened by nerves, it can't be that I callused my skin, learned the right angles to hit at and/or got used to the pain" adds up to "Man I train so hard I shatter my bones anew each day so they re-heal thicker"

Yes, you can make practical increases in bone density. The best gains are made by consuming adequate minerals and exercising. It is very likely the constant exercise rather then a particular practice that thickens the bones of martial artists.

The benefits of impact conditioning are dubious. Cultures that engage in the practice seem to produce good fighters, but so do cultures that don't. So the function of the training (thickening the bone) is unverified, and the relationship of the training, if assumed to be valid, to combat is also dubious. The training does have potential for bodily harm and loss of valuable training time that could improve the body more efficiently if spent differently.

Also, while I think it is really cool that you can afford to train in thailand, and really cool as well that where ever I go in the world, there are Australians there to translate for me, anybody can pay to train in thailand - it doesn't make **** into icecream just to breathe the air there.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Posted On:
    2/08/2008 11:12am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I broke a stack of twelve hymen.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/08/2008 11:12am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickZ
    That's kind of impressive.
    Yes, if you don't really understand breaking. If you do, you are more impressed by single breaks and stacked bricks with no spacers.

No, there are potential tricks in those breaks also.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2008 11:24am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Open up wikipedia and read up on BONE, specifically bone remodelling.

Bones will get thicker as a result of exercise, getting stronger as a demand of the exercise.

"Repeated stress, such as weight-bearing exercise or bone healing, results in the bone thickening at the points of maximum stress (Wolff's law). It has been hypothesized that this is a result of bone's piezoelectric properties, which cause bone to generate small electrical potentials under stress"

Well, the second part of that is just hypothesis, the first part is clear. Exercise toughens bone. It does not say what type of exercise, but i would imagine that shin kicking bamboo stalks until everyone you know calls you Jean Claude would thicken the bone a bit...and you may be able to do more damage with it.

Doing more damage than a skilled stonemason with his trusty 12 pound sledge on full swing is another story. Instead of striking bricks they should have them strike a pressure plate that shows PSI of the strike and then you would see....

Physics is proven. Force = mass x acceleration. A sledgehammer does not flex either like the bones and cartilage of the guys leg or arm that is striking. This flex does absorb SOME of the impact of the strike.

However, a sledgehammer is not exactly a reasonable option for self defense. While it would be convenient to smash someone with a sledgehammer, I doubt anyone is going to stay still long enough to get a good swing in on them...especially as slow as they are.

This is why I still recommend a nice .45 smith and wesson with extra clips for the odd chance that 60 viking warriors are coming after you for your wallet like in those capital one commercials.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/08/2008 12:10pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Yes, if you don't really understand breaking. If you do, you are more impressed by single breaks and stacked bricks with no spacers.

No, there are potential tricks in those breaks also.
    Last time I tried to break through a 2 inch patio block my radius bone almost protruded out of my palm. But that was an actual construction cinder block. I don't break anymore.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/08/2008 12:15pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickZ
    Last time I tried to break through a 2 inch patio block my radius bone almost protruded out of my palm. But that was an actual construction cinder block. I don't break anymore.
    Right. That is why we say there are tricks involved. When you do the trick breaks you need to examine the bricks they are using. You need to find out if they were baked, dried, soaked, pre-cracked, porous, etc etc etc.

I am not discounting all breaks, just that many aren't as impressive as they are made out to be.

You also have to know the proper technique, even if you are performing a trick. That is why, in another thread, I say it is also a skill.

Kind of like lock picking in magic tricks. Lock picking is a skill used to perform a trick.

Posted On:
    2/08/2008 12:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal
    I broke a stack of twelve hymen.
    video please

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2008 12:27pm