Posted On:
    2/07/2008 5:21pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulain
    Okay, yeh I feel like an Idiot.

I just don't have much faith in doctors. Thats why it took me so long to get it looked at. I mean most doctors would tell you not to do combat sports in the first place, so I never know whether to take what they say with a pinch of salt. I think i'm the opposite of a hypercondriac.
    My doc has never told me not to do things (not that I'm training anything anyways.) All he has said is "you don't have to stop doing things, just tone them down when you need to and listen to your body." My chiro never tells me to stop squatting and deadlifting even though he hates it that I do them. All he says is "be careful and contact me if you have problems."

Docs will over-react and tell you to stop doing combat sports because, to them, your recreational activities are of no importance. Your health is. If a doctor tells you to stop doing combat sports, most likely he will also tell you to do certain things (.ie. rest for a lenght of time, do rehab exercises, takes your meds, etc).

He's not gonna tell you "stop combat sports" without prescribing you something to improve your health, would he? If you really think about it, you know that if you follow his instructions, your fibula will heal in a finite amount of time, no? He's not goign to tell you "now to the end of your days, keep your leg up and take this pink pill every three hours", right?

Your healing process is just going to take a fucking finite time. The doc will tell you when it's healed. Your x-rays will tell you. At that point, all you have to do is resume your MA of choice.

But you are not going to get to that point if you don't listen to the instructions necessary for your fibula to heal.

So all you have to do is follow his instructions until you heal. Once you heal, then you can politely disregard your doctor's opinion about doing combat sports.

He'll be there next time you break some other ****. And he'll tell you "I told you so, combat sports are not good", and you'll say "I know doc, I just like it a lot", and then he'll fix you, and then you'll be back on the mat and so on and so on...

And be grateful that there is someone who doesn't give a **** about what you like to do and orders you to do what you need to do.

A lot of times we need someone to do just that.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 2/07/2008 5:25pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2008 11:13pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulain
    Okay, yeh I feel like an Idiot.

I just don't have much faith in doctors. Thats why it took me so long to get it looked at. I mean most doctors would tell you not to do combat sports in the first place, so I never know whether to take what they say with a pinch of salt. I think i'm the opposite of a hypercondriac.
    You have to find the right doctor -- my ortho surgeon used to play football for Northwestern, so he knows that sometimes you have to play sports.

SURGEON: "If I give you a leg brace, are you going to wear it?"
    ME: "Er ... well, honestly, probably not."
    SURGEON: "Then I'm not going to give you a leg brace."

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/08/2008 1:44am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The opposite of a hyperchondriac would be a hypochondriac, no? Which is the word you actually meant to use. I guess you'd be a hyperchondriac. Assuming that chondrias are things that make you think you're not hurt or sick.

Also JohnnyFive, I must regretfully inform you that you are not, in fact, alive.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345