222422 Bullies, 4252 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 213
Page 1 of 22 1 234511 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. vigilus is offline
    vigilus's Avatar

    Infidel

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Afghanistan
    Posts
    2,294

    Posted On:
    2/05/2008 9:59pm


     Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Aikido & BJJ Blackbelt discussion

    Video of a dude who is a black belt in Aikido AND BJJ taking about both styles. (Apparently the first to get to black belt in both?)

    I'm not as MA-youtube talk savvy as most of you warriors but it sounds like he makes some interesting conections.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yidj9ZoQeOI
    You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it
  2. Rock Ape is online now
    Rock Ape's Avatar

    Watch and Shoot !

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,114

    Posted On:
    2/05/2008 10:07pm

    staff
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Notice he mentions that aikidoka would have the advantage in learning BJJ - Not the other away around. I never heard hm say the reverse (not that I expected him too either)

    Not knocking the guys skills but he strikes me a little ghey - where's his skirt ?
  3. Lu Tze is offline

    BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    W. Yorks, UK
    Posts
    5,018

    Posted On:
    2/05/2008 10:22pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why did he see fit to name the person he studied Aikido under (and his teacher), but not who he studied BJJ under?

    Doesn't feel he's worth mentioning? That's pretty damn insulting to a guy who's probably given him close to a decade of training.

    Edit: http://www.roydeanacademy.com/instructors, Roy Harris.
    Last edited by Lu Tze; 2/05/2008 10:26pm at .
  4. Deadmeat is offline
    Deadmeat's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,014

    Posted On:
    2/05/2008 10:35pm


     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know a judoka who holds a fifth dan in Judo, and a second dan in Aikido. From what he's told me, Simio de las Rocas' point is right on the money - that an Aikidoka would benefit from the Newaza / BJJ training more than the other way around. It's likely to be more practically effective to stick to the more 'alive" art - such as BJJ or Judo.

    Having said that, i'm almost embarrassed to admit how frequently I've had to tap out to his wristlocks. Particularly on the ground, when trying to grip his lapel or sleeve, he takes advantage of it by grabbing the wrist with one hand, and cupping your elbow with the other and leaning in.

    Also, Aikidoka seem to have a different mindset; one that is counterproductive to judo/BJJ practice IMO. I've seen plenty of people get tooled by guys who were less technically proficient because they were too reactive rather than proactive. I imagine Aikidoka would have the same sort of trouble.
  5. Lu Tze is offline

    BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    W. Yorks, UK
    Posts
    5,018

    Posted On:
    2/05/2008 10:39pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadmeat
    've seen plenty of people get tooled by guys who were less technically proficient because they were too reactive rather than proactive.
    Funnily enough, but he says something quite similar near the end of his vid.
  6. Tenebrous is online now
    Tenebrous's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,393

    Posted On:
    2/05/2008 10:48pm


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadmeat
    I know a judoka who holds a fifth dan in Judo, and a second dan in Aikido. From what he's told me, Simio de las Rocas' point is right on the money - that an Aikidoka would benefit from the Newaza / BJJ training more than the other way around. It's likely to be more practically effective to stick to the more 'alive" art - such as BJJ or Judo.

    Having said that, i'm almost embarrassed to admit how frequently I've had to tap out to his wristlocks. Particularly on the ground, when trying to grip his lapel or sleeve, he takes advantage of it by grabbing the wrist with one hand, and cupping your elbow with the other and leaning in.

    Also, Aikidoka seem to have a different mindset; one that is counterproductive to judo/BJJ practice IMO. I've seen plenty of people get tooled by guys who were less technically proficient because they were too reactive rather than proactive. I imagine Aikidoka would have the same sort of trouble.
    I used to get wrist locked at a couple different schools by purple and brown belts, almost always while doing a good job defending an arm bar. I have done it to a couple people myself. They're not unique to aikido, in fact I'd bet good money that real grapplers have a far better chance of pulling them off than aikidoka ever would.
    Last edited by Tenebrous; 2/05/2008 11:03pm at .
    I'm picturing you drooling onto the keyboard as you type, one eye rotating independent of the other as your hands mash the keys. - Sophist
  7. Deadmeat is offline
    Deadmeat's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,014

    Posted On:
    2/05/2008 11:31pm


     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze
    Funnily enough, but he says something quite similar near the end of his vid.
    Oh yeah, the part about getting choked out by blue belts. It's not only Aikidoka who have that problem either, I find.

    Some people have difficulty breaking that meek/polite/shy barrier. I've known competent strikers who are overly nervous when grappling, and are really quick to apologize if they clip you with an elbow or something when you're rolling.

    I've also known people who were decent grapplers but novice strikers who do the same thing when sparring with standup if they get a particularly good shot in.

    I think that's where aliveness really stands out - developing that ability to become truly comfortable with attacking, and being attacked. I hate that whole "flinch and hesitate" mentality. I went through it myself.


    Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrous
    I used to get wrist locked at a couple different schools by purple and brown belts, almost always while doing a good job defending an arm bar. I have done it to a couple people myself. They're not unique to aikido, in fact I'd bet good money that real grapplers have a far better chance of pulling them off than aikidoka ever would.
    Couldn't agree more. It still leaves me a tad bitter everytime it happens though. At least I've never been on the receiving end of teh D34D1y kote-gaeshi (sp?) during judo randori. I don't know how I'd take that.
    Last edited by Deadmeat; 2/05/2008 11:33pm at .
  8. vigilus is offline
    vigilus's Avatar

    Infidel

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Afghanistan
    Posts
    2,294

    Posted On:
    2/05/2008 11:54pm


     Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    :icon_blac
    Last edited by vigilus; 2/08/2008 6:38pm at .
    You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it
  9. Purpleskunk is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    547

    Posted On:
    2/05/2008 11:55pm


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "And to fully accede my blackbelts in both martial arts, i will now slit my wrist"
  10. RaiNnyX4 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sapporo
    Posts
    662

    Posted On:
    2/06/2008 12:17am


     Style: Aikido/Judo/BJJ/Naginata

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadmeat
    Couldn't agree more. It still leaves me a tad bitter everytime it happens though. At least I've never been on the receiving end of teh D34D1y kote-gaeshi (sp?) during judo randori. I don't know how I'd take that.
    You'd take it quite well as the other guy would get hansoku-make.
Page 1 of 22 1 234511 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.