Posted On:
    2/05/2008 2:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuma-Gorath
    What button combo does he press to switch styles? :icon_roll

Hitting hard is a function of timing, distance and footwork, not style. Everyone seems to forget that Machida finished Rich Franklin and one of this Jungle Fight opponents too.

I never said it was just an issue of hitting hard.

You can fake a leg kick chamber and hit them hard on the button and knock someone out, which is something I have trained in Karate but not Muay Thai. What I have seen so far in Muay Thai that is the closest equivalent is hard thai leg kick quickly bring the leg back resetting and hard thai head kick.

Two different approaches with the same goal of getting a person to think leg kick and hit them hard in the head.

Off the two both can knock you out but the Thai kick will hit harder.

By the way I am not saying that pure karate training doesn't include this as well but you see it a lot more in Muay Thai and you see a lot more thai style head kick knock outs than chambered head kick knock outs in MMA.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2008 2:53pm

Style: BJJ/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whoever says he is not Shotokan is a MT nuthugger.

He does throw hooks. So?

He chambers alot of his punches and kicks. His stance is very Karate, and he even wears his Karate gi/black belt to the ring.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    2/05/2008 2:57pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KFighter
    he even wears his Karate gi/black belt to the ring.
    While I do agree with your general position, this argument is pretty vacuous. If he wore a sash, would he then be a _unner? Would wearing robes and boots make him a Jedi? The issue is not what Machida says he is (or what he dresses as), but how it bears out in practice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2008 3:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Petter
    While I do agree with your general position, this argument is pretty vacuous. If he wore a sash, would he then be a _unner? Would wearing robes and boots make him a Jedi? The issue is not what Machida says he is (or what he dresses as), but how it bears out in practice.
    No, but it's pretty obvious that he loves, and trains hard with his Karate. If it didn't mean anything to him, he wouldn't wear what he had to earn, ya know?

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    2/05/2008 3:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KFighter
    No, but it's pretty obvious that he loves, and trains hard with his Karate. If it didn't mean anything to him, he wouldn't wear what he had to earn, ya know?
    Definitely, but although it almost certainly means that it's meaningful to Machida, personally and emotionally, that doesn't imply that it's necessarily meaningful to his fight record. If he spends, say, 50% of his training time on Shotokan, 30% on BJJ, and 20% on generic kickboxing stuff, that doesn't mean that (if we could so quantify things) Shotokan accounts for 50% of his effectiveness. He could be getting by on BJJ, kickboxing, and sheer natural talent, with half his training time wasted -- except that he enjoys it and it makes him feel good...

Now, obviously I don't believe this is so, but again, we have to look at what he does to be certain, and neither what he claims to do nor even what he thinks he does.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2008 3:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    His chambered punch on Hoger.

His Shotokan sweep on Soko.

His knee kick (it was NOT a normal knee) on Franklin.

He uses quite a bit of Shotokan technique. Cuz well, that's his base and the main style he uses. But yes he also does use BJJ and some generic Kickboxing.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    2/05/2008 3:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like I said, I do agree with your conclusion. I just feel that it weakens an argument to use spurious, vacuous, or meaningless assertions to further it, and since I do agree with the conclusion, I'd much rather see it stand on a secure footing -- such as this latter post provides.

Do you know if there's video of this chambered punch, though? That'd be interesting to see...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2008 3:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It was on youtube and dailymotion.

There's also a gif of it floating around somewhere.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    2/05/2008 3:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I seriously hope Tito crushes Machida. If he doesn't, Machida may go on a reign of terror the likes of which the UFC has never seen...

UFC 88 Machida Defeats Quinton Jackson via time dilation to become champion, in a stunning upset, Machida is able to actually warp the fabric of space-time, creating a new level of boredom unknown to recorded history and science. Physicists marvel at his seemingly supernatural power to suck the excitement from a room, simply by stepping foot in it. Many fatalities are reported in the PPV audience. Coroners world wide announce new official cause of death "via boredom". Live audience lapses into hibernation, a phenomenon never before seen in humans. Dana White commits suicide via drowning in a pile of money when every cable and satellite company cancels subscription to any future UFC event and he is fired by the Fertittas. Joe Rogan is affected in a unique manner, having been apparently "trapped" in the tear in reality when Machida began implimenting his technique, Rogan is stuck at ringside, forever in a state of flux. The venue is torn down when his characteristic raspy squeal at the sign of any movement does not leave the area by 2015. Demolition workers report feelings of intoxication, euphoria, lightheadedness, and hallucinations after passing through the space once occupied by Rogan's body.

President Obama announces a state of emergency upon hearing of the TDE (Time Dilation Event) and immediately declares martial law. MMA is banned and Mixed Martial Artists are vilified in the media and by the government. In the subsequent months, every prominent Mixed Martial Artist in the country disappears amid whispers of FBI assassination and abduction teams working round the clock to root out and destroy every trace and mention of MMA. Instructional materials are destroyed and at TDE+ 6 months, no reference of any kind can be found to MMA, outside of myths and underground accounts and anecdotes.

So, you see guys, Tito isn't just fighting for money or pride this time. Thousands of lives are at stake!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2008 3:43pm

Style: Poor mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is there an example better than this guy that is clearly karate in his style? I haven't seen too many Karate guys who don't also cross train in Muay Thai for their stand up in MMA or kickboxing. Gsp trains under Phil Nurse, who is a pretty badass Muay Thai fighter.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIC9z1Ki1AQ
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast