Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 111213 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/26/2009 1:31pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by paulmn View Post
    Zomg! Arts where you kick and punch will look similar to other arts where you kick and punch when doing padwork! You've unraveled the gordian knot! Everyone who says they train another art is lying and was actually trained by a time-traveling joe lewis!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/26/2009 1:35pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But on the other hand there's a vast amount of karate in this: YouTube - L.Machida vs. T.Silva

Posted On:
    7/26/2009 1:40pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Machida's unique style is based on the hybrid karate style created by his father Yoshizo, who came to Brazil from Japan when he was 22 to test his karate skills.

Just five foot six, Machida Sr. adapted his own form of karate to combat bigger men. Plus it was based on times gone by, when opponents wielded a sword. One touch could be fatal. Lyoto Machida uses foot movement to avoid contact, ghosting in and out while looking for openings for his precise striking.

"The essence of martial arts is to inflict damage without receiving any," explains Yoshizo Machida. "And that's what we've trained and that's what he does in the ring."

In a sport filled with lead pipes, Lyoto Machida is a scalpel. Or the big brother you cannot touch in a scrap."

http://lyotomachida.net/Lyoto_Machida/Welcome.html

So while there may not be such a thing as "brazilian karate" Machida's karate IS different.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/26/2009 1:40pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical View Post
    Zomg! Arts where you kick and punch will look similar to other arts where you kick and punch when doing padwork! You've unraveled the gordian knot! Everyone who says they train another art is lying and was actually trained by a time-traveling joe lewis!
    No you must disregard any previous art trained. The only one that counts is the last art you have taken.[/sarcasm]

Posted On:
    7/26/2009 1:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze View Post
    Gracie JJ is different from Japanese JJ because its lineage comes through Judo you tard, the differences have nothing to do with nice beaches and a giant statue of Jesus...
    That argument made absolutely no sense. The central point, that the Gracies' changed what they learned, is indisputable and has nothing to do with beaches and statutes of Jesus, moron.

Posted On:
    7/26/2009 2:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crappler View Post
    "Machida's unique style is based on the hybrid karate style created by his father Yoshizo, who came to Brazil from Japan when he was 22 to test his karate skills.

Just five foot six, Machida Sr. adapted his own form of karate to combat bigger men. Plus it was based on times gone by, when opponents wielded a sword. One touch could be fatal. Lyoto Machida uses foot movement to avoid contact, ghosting in and out while looking for openings for his precise striking.

"The essence of martial arts is to inflict damage without receiving any," explains Yoshizo Machida. "And that's what we've trained and that's what he does in the ring."

In a sport filled with lead pipes, Lyoto Machida is a scalpel. Or the big brother you cannot touch in a scrap."

http://lyotomachida.net/Lyoto_Machida/Welcome.html

So while there may not be such a thing as "brazilian karate" Machida's karate IS different.
    Honestly, while every teacher will have their own somewhat unique take on a style, the only thing I see that's significantly uncommon about Lyoto's Shotokan from most others is that he's practicing it for continuous full-contact. All the stuff about footwork, ghosting in-and-out of range, searching for a clean shot, and trying to avoid all damage to is pure basic Shotokan and nothing new.

The quoted section above is what we call intelligent marketing, which he took one step further right before his fight against Rashad when he started calling it Machida Karate.

Frankly I don't blame him and would have done the exact same thing (but much sooner!); he's the one who put his ass on the line in the ring and his family name should get the fame, credit, money from DVDs, etc. not the JKA and other organizations who have been helping Shotokan to stagnate for the last 20 years and certainly not generic American krotty douchebags who do light contact pointsparring and claim the Shotokan banner because it sounds traditional and Japanese.

Posted On:
    7/26/2009 2:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    Honestly, while every teacher will have their own somewhat unique take on a style, the only thing I see that's significantly uncommon about Lyoto's Shotokan from most others is that he's practicing it for continuous full-contact. All the stuff about footwork, ghosting in-and-out of range, searching for a clean shot, and trying to avoid all damage to is pure basic Shotokan and nothing new.

The quoted section above is what we call intelligent marketing, which he took one step further right before his fight against Rashad when he started calling it Machida Karate.

Frankly I don't blame him and would have done the exact same thing (but much sooner!); he's the one who put his ass on the line in the ring and his family name should get the fame, credit, money from DVDs, etc. not the JKA and other organizations who have been helping Shotokan to stagnate for the last 20 years and certainly not generic American krotty douchebags who do light contact pointsparring and claim the Shotokan banner because it sounds traditional and Japanese.
    Well I don't know Shotokan. Where I got my Shodan we did Kyokushin style sparring combined with take-downs and submissions. I did Kempo in two places, and do Shorin-ryu now, and I've never seen any place that didn't have their own spin. And I find it difficult to believe that every Shotokan place teaches the same way as well. I've never done Karate where you are avoiding strikes like the plague. Are you saying Shotokan is like that?

Posted On:
    7/26/2009 2:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

Posted On:
    7/26/2009 2:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crappler View Post
    Well I don't know Shotokan. Where I got my Shodan we did Kyokushin style sparring combined with take-downs and submissions. I did Kempo in two places, and do Shorin-ryu now, and I've never seen any place that didn't have their own spin. And I find it difficult to believe that every Shotokan place teaches the same way as well. I've never done Karate where you are avoiding strikes like the plague. Are you saying Shotokan is like that?
    Where do you train and what is the name of your instructor?

Posted On:
    7/26/2009 6:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Steve Curley, International Budo Academy.
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 111213 LastLast