Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2008 11:52pm

Style: BJJ, JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

UFC's potential downfall..

Forgive me if its already been discussed, but I dont feel its been discussed to its potential....

I am the president of the Brock Lesnar Fan Club (BLFC) first of all. But however this comes to my attention, just because certain fighters can *draw* crowds and sell ppv's, they are almost guarantee'd to always be in the running for title shots.

I'd make and educated guess that more people bought the last UFC ppv, because of the Brock Lesnar fight, and although I am the president of his prestigous fanclub, that kind of drawing power is found in the Chuck Liddells, Coutures, Ortiz's, Shamrocks, and you have to admitt, if you have the power to put asses in seats, your almost always going to be at the top of the UFC getting the best fights and publicity, because it is sports entertainment, although not in the WWE sense. The way they set up their fight cards, there is basically a monthly PPV like pro wrestling, and 1 main selling fight on that card.

If Brock Lesnar won that fight, then won perhaps his next fight, you cant say he wouldnt be getting a title shot ASAP just because he can put the asses in the seats, love him or hate him.

I also think that the UFC picks who they want to win a fight, and calls are made accordingly. Although they cant make people take dives or anything like that, I think certain calls and judges decisions are made in mind with the fact that they can sell a certain guy at the next PPV, like the Tyson Griffin fight. I dont believe he lost 30-27 every round. Examples escape me now, but pay attention to who would logically be a better fight for UFC to promote in their next PPV appearance.

This has been my rant on behalf of the BLFC.

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    2/03/2008 11:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The judging at the UFC is certainly questionable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    2/03/2008 11:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree. There are a few fighters -Machida and Marcus Davis being a notable examples- that have been on a ridiculous winning streak but never get put into the contention spot. There is much time cultivating the top 4-6 fighters into a neat hierarchy that lower level talent can miss their time in the limelight unless they put on a clinic to get noticed.

It's annoying, because I sometimes see fans say things like, "oh so and so may have won his last 54 fights, but they were against nobodies...he needs a real test." Well duh he needs a real test, and he needs the UFC to give it to him by putting him in with the big names, instead of cycling them against each other 2-4 times.

I think Joe Lauzon, a relative UFC newcomer, is on the right track with his performance and aggression in winning fans, and situating himself in the path to rise to the top. Unfortunately despite your record sometimes, you have to put on a show to get where you want to go.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    2/04/2008 12:00am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You could have picked a better example that Brock Lesnar, especially since he didn't win and no one is offering him a title shot. What about Werdun? He lost to Arlovski and is next in line for a title shot while Arklovski is sitting on the bench. Forest Griffen hadn't beat anyone notworthy until he beat a very crappy Shogun and now he not only gets to coach on the next TUF but gets a title shot at the end.

By the way, the judges don't work for UFC, they just don't know very much about fighting.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    2/04/2008 12:00am

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Though playing Devil's advocate, match-making isn't an exact science, and working with such a massive roster in an unpredictable sport can be quite overwhelming. There is also the undeniable fact, that feuds and cultivated big names bring in $$$...kinda part of the sport.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2008 12:05am

Style: BJJ, JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razamataz
    You could have picked a better example that Brock Lesnar, especially since he didn't win and no one is offering him a title shot. What about Werdun? He lost to Arlovski and is next in line for a title shot while Arklovski is sitting on the bench. Forest Griffen hadn't beat anyone notworthy until he beat a very crappy Shogun and now he not only gets to coach on the next TUF but gets a title shot at the end.

By the way, the judges don't work for UFC, they just don't know very much about fighting.

I know brock lost, but you have to admitt if he won like 3 fights he'd be fighting for the title because he can draw. They already promote the crap out of him

Posted On:
    2/04/2008 12:52am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And the thread title had so much potential.......

I thought this thread was going to be about how the UFC is going 'the brand is above the fighters.'

Quote Originally Posted by The Question
    The judging at the UFC is certainly questionable.
    Thank Cecil Peoples.

Correct.
    BUT WHAT ABOUT A CONSPIRACY??!?!!? The must be getting paid off!
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Posted On:
    2/04/2008 1:08am

Style: JJ of the B variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgar42Ox
    Forgive me if its already been discussed, but I dont feel its been discussed to its potential....

I am the president of the Brock Lesnar Fan Club (BLFC) first of all. But however this comes to my attention, just because certain fighters can *draw* crowds and sell ppv's, they are almost guarantee'd to always be in the running for title shots.

I'd make and educated guess that more people bought the last UFC ppv, because of the Brock Lesnar fight, and although I am the president of his prestigous fanclub, that kind of drawing power is found in the Chuck Liddells, Coutures, Ortiz's, Shamrocks, and you have to admitt, if you have the power to put asses in seats, your almost always going to be at the top of the UFC getting the best fights and publicity, because it is sports entertainment, although not in the WWE sense. The way they set up their fight cards, there is basically a monthly PPV like pro wrestling, and 1 main selling fight on that card.

If Brock Lesnar won that fight, then won perhaps his next fight, you cant say he wouldnt be getting a title shot ASAP just because he can put the asses in the seats, love him or hate him.

I also think that the UFC picks who they want to win a fight, and calls are made accordingly. Although they cant make people take dives or anything like that, I think certain calls and judges decisions are made in mind with the fact that they can sell a certain guy at the next PPV, like the Tyson Griffin fight. I dont believe he lost 30-27 every round. Examples escape me now, but pay attention to who would logically be a better fight for UFC to promote in their next PPV appearance.

This has been my rant on behalf of the BLFC.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I am disputing the bold. Griffin won 30-27, as he should have.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    2/04/2008 1:08am

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not in the US, but in the UK shows they do work for the UFC as there is no commission regulating those shows...the refs and judges are brought in and paid for by the UFC. It is completely UFC controlled (at least that is my understanding). And, IMO one of the clearest examples of F'd up decisions came in the England UFC with Matt Hamill's loss to Michael Bisping (the England hometown boy).

And, yes Cecil Peoples should never work MMA again.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2008 1:31am

Style: Injured for 1+ years

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, Brock would get a title shot much easier than a no-name, and generally i don't disagree with what you're saying.

But it is kinda funny that it sometimes cuts both ways. Brock was the victim of a clearly biased ref. and it's obvious they matched him up specifically to maximize his chances of losing. It's like they wanted him to bring in the crowds, but lose in front of them.

you know, to cement the tufness of the UFC.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast