Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2008 11:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Lloyd Irvin, Camp Springs

I've heard good things about Lloyd Irvin schools, but nothing specific about the one in Camp Springs MD. Anybody ever train there, or know someone who does?

I'm trying to find a combat school that's somewhere between Southern MD (where I live) and DC (where I work.) Or somewhere at least kind of nearby.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    2/05/2008 3:27am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've heard bad things about Lloyd Irvin.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/05/2008 4:11am

supporting member
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    many, many folks say Lloyd Irvin is one of the best. i know a few of his students and they're all excellent people and incredible competitors. i think the camp springs school is the main school. i think he offers a free 30 day trial so definitely check it out and see if you like it.

Posted On:
    2/05/2008 9:42am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: juuuuuujiiiiit su

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sean McBroom teaches jujitsu in La Plata at Southern Maryland Martial Arts. If you're interested, ask him to check out a few of his classes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2008 10:58am

Style: Budo Taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had a friend ask me about one of his schools awhile back, I took a look at the websites and they *screamed* McDojo to me...

I know his guys do well in competitions and whatnot, but from first glance his business practices looked a tad on the shakey side.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2008 8:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hiken
    I had a friend ask me about one of his schools awhile back, I took a look at the websites and they *screamed* McDojo to me...

I know his guys do well in competitions and whatnot, but from first glance his business practices looked a tad on the shakey side.
    Yeah, I got the same feeling from the site, but I know some guys that are part of that team (though I couldn't call them friends) and they're good players, so I don't know. I couldn't find any rates on the site, which makes me nervous. I emailed yesterday asking for some, but haven't gotten any response.

Quote Originally Posted by hiken
    Sean McBroom teaches jujitsu in La Plata at Southern Maryland Martial Arts. If you're interested, ask him to check out a few of his classes.
    I'm looking for something more MMA oriented, as opposed to a purely bjj school. I've done judo for a few years (not that I don't get totally worked by any decent BJJ player), and I'd like to mix it up a bit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2008 11:39pm

Style: Budo Taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am curious what the rates are... let me know if you ever hear back.

Posted On:
    2/06/2008 8:05am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: juuuuuujiiiiit su

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm looking for something more MMA oriented, as opposed to a purely bjj school. I've done judo for a few years (not that I don't get totally worked by any decent BJJ player), and I'd like to mix it up a bit.
    It's funny to me that you say that, because Sean teaches a form of goshin jujitsu. We do strikes, throws and submissions. You'd probably recognize all the throws. We've also produced fighters for amatuer mma matches out in CA and locally. I think he runs a great school, but I'm also a student of his too.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2008 2:31pm

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Camp Springs, MD academy is Lloyd Irvin's main location. Lloyd teaches there himself. Marketing practices aside, you will get nothing but the very best instruction at his gym. I've known Lloyd and many of his staff members for years, and I coach at one of his local affiliates. They are a very professionally run organization.

Don't let the marketing turn you off from checking things out. You have to realize that his marketing is not aimed at people who already train or are knowledgeable about the martial arts in the first place. We're not his target demographic in that regards. His advertising is meant to appeal to those who know absolutly NOTHING about martial arts, and he needs to grab and hold their attention.

People who are already knowledgeable or have connections to those who do will find their way to him via word-of-mouth.... such as this discussion gonig on right now! :)

My advice is to definitely check it out!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2008 2:37pm

Style: Kickboxing, Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's the thing. You've got guys like Fowler, Hall, and Fergueson who are obviously proven grapplers and the nicest people in the world, but then you see the ad campaigns and pretty much go 'ye Gods.' The grappling gameplan one is a big example. It's marketed as "You too can get your black belt in 4 years!"

Disclamer- 4 years only if you train 7 days a week, enter tournaments at least once a month, and your instructor's name isn't Ceasar Gracie.

Also, they advertise Lloyd as a blackbelt in "Thai Jitsu."

The facility seemed nice, the instruction WILL be good considering the skill level of their better grapplers, but the ads, major turnoff.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast