Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 41011121314 15 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 10:21am

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it was Davidson, he's pro now (I think?). I think he spent the last 4 years as an amateur fighter, has a fight team/gym separate from the TKD school (not sure the integration with TKD, if any actually).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 10:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin.74
    Yes, that would be a reasonable approach.

But hasn't the history of the ATA shown us that they are not very interested in taking a gradual approach that over time increases the quality of their programs, instead they seem more interested in fast tracking, which quickly improves the quality of their bank accounts?
    I think that was everyone involved's concern as well, which was why they specifically made it explicit that it wasn't any kind of certification or license to teach, simply a learning seminar.

There are a lot of people praying that this one is done correctly.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 10:32am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Has there been any recent com chatter on the more ATA friendly boards about this? I'd be interested in what the non-instructor ATA-ers who took the seminar thought, and what they plan to do next.

As I understand it, it wasn't cheap and they might have had to buy branded equiment. So if nothing comse of it, they're going to be real pissed off.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 11:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, at $350 (someone stated?), that would be nearly 7 months of training for me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 1:00pm

Style: AMAI TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox
    Has there been any recent com chatter on the more ATA friendly boards about this? I'd be interested in what the non-instructor ATA-ers who took the seminar thought, and what they plan to do next.

As I understand it, it wasn't cheap and they might have had to buy branded equiment. So if nothing comse of it, they're going to be real pissed off.
    It was discussed on an ATA-friendly board. The response was positive. I don't know if they are going to do anything with it and they seemed to know nothing might come of it.

One of the attendees mentioned it was something done by HQ to gauge interest in such a program. Basically market research. Nobody said anything when I mentioned they paid the ATA $350 so the ATA can research their interest.

I don't think they had to buy branded equipment for the seminar. Nobody mentioned anything about it. I assume they were told what to bring. Some instructor certification camps have had their campers bring their own hand wraps and what not.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 1:47pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shu2jack
    As part of the liscense agreement to open up an ATA school or club, a school can not teach anything other than ATA TKD without written permission from ATA HQ. The ATA MMA seminar was not a certification course.

Worst case scenario, ATA HQ wants them to attended (pay for) their Protech Groundfighting course before letting their untrained instructors teach this stuff. Best-case scenario, ATA HQ is generating interest for MMA (because many ATAers will not look outside their own school or organization), getting instructors to start seeking grappling training, and prepping the organization for a quality program.

One of the trainers at the ATA-MMA seminar was an amature fighter from my region. Personally, I think the ATA should pick 2 or 3 people in each region to head up a grappling/MMA program. Have all the schools in the region come to their program heads for training over 3 years. After that, they are able to introduce grappling/MMA to their schools and the ATA could start a grappling division at their tournaments to encourage competition and raise the quality of the program.

It would take longer, but I think it would do a better job of producing quality training.
    Thank you for answering. This would be a decent way to go. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2008 1:56am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ATA-ers discuss the seminar.

From what I can deduce:

- Some of the 'Jiu Jitsu' was taught by someone called Greg Arcemont. Can't find any BJJ or JJJ connection to him via Google (doesn't mean they don't exist, of course), but he insinuates that he is at least a blue belt here

- One of the other instructors, Brian Davidson obviously is an MMA fighter.

- I'm guessing the third instructor referred to is this dude. The site says he teaches Gracie Jiu Jitsu. He also seems to run an MMA promotion (check out his students doing XMA in the middle of an MMA cage. Freaking weird) and there are some videos of him fighting on YoutTube. YouTube - Rob Howard vs. Jesse Wolf (Clash in the Cage 19) is one.

- This guy seems to have taken the stand-up portion of the class

- The whole thing seems to have been overseen by this guy, GK Lee. But I can't find anything on him that relates to MMA

- Of the above list, one poster indicates that the guys who are actually MMA fighters were 'assisting', but guys like Lee and Droege were running the show, which seems weird

- They seemed to think the price was worth it

- Not sure if they were required to purchase ATA MMA branded stuff, but it was obviously available.

- One poster says they were told "go home and practice your skills for at least 6 months, then you might be ready to teach a bit of this to your students" so I guess that's the time frame.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/25/2008 2:04am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by retrograde

- One poster says they were told "go home and practice your skills for at least 6 months, then you might be ready to teach a bit of this to your students" so I guess that's the time frame.
    This is what I was worried about. Again I'll take the wait and see attitude but, this doesn't bode well.

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 9:29pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know it isn't exactly part of this post, but what was going on here?

http://uk.YouTube - ATA Martial Arts (World Championships) Promo

Especially at the end with the old man and the huge rod

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2008 1:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ban plz, dipshit.
    It's a DVD of the 2007 Worlds competition, which you'd see if you actually watched the video. Much of it is a demonstratiton and yeah, have fun with teh 'lol ATA". Now let's get back to the thread about ATA MMA.
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 41011121314 15 LastLast