Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3910111213 1415 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2008 9:51am

Style: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I only saw a double leg, which looked just fine.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/05/2008 12:09pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It doesn't matter I'll tell you exactly what's going to happen. They go to this seminar. They believe they know what's what. They start teaching it and selling it to the public as experts......after just 1 seminar.

Techniques taught by experts does not make the practitioner an expert.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2008 7:29pm

Style: AMAI TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The ATAers who took the ATA-MMA seminar were told NOT to teach it in their schools. They were told to take what they learned, practice it some more, go learn more about the stuff, and maybe down the road they could teach it.

I'm glad the ATA is trying to expand their knowledge base, but I think they are going about it the wrong way.

But yeah, for the price of the seminars I could get a few months training at a BJJ or MMA school. Better value. I don't need an ATA seminar to show me what it is about and to peak my interest.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2008 8:00pm

Style: BJJ / freestyle wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    haha, with $350 i can pay my MMA gym for JUST UNDER a year.

god bless/curse exchange rates.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/23/2008 8:14pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shu2jack
    The ATAers who took the ATA-MMA seminar were told NOT to teach it in their schools. They were told to take what they learned, practice it some more, go learn more about the stuff, and maybe down the road they could teach it.
    Yes, can you tell us the time frame?

Can you tell us if a contract was signed saying "x amount of years must pass?"

I'm being serious, down the road can be anywhere from a few weeks to a few years. That is a ton of leeway.

Posted On:
    6/23/2008 11:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake

I'm being serious, down the road can be anywhere from a few weeks to a few years. That is a ton of leeway.
    Isn't this what happened with Tatsuo Shimabuku of Isshinryu? He told Marines who had been studying a year or two something like, "here's a black belt...start wearing it in a few years. Call yourself a fourth degree a few years after that." They were done with their tour of duty on Okinawa and were going back to the States, and he wanted to give them some rank to work with. Didn't work out so great.

The only question about this is, how will the ATA let students practice this new MMA training? If practice involves even medium contact strikes, combined with takedowns and submissions, in a competitive environment...well, that's the seeds of aliveness.

Even complete idiots punching, kicking, clinching, wrestling, and throwing each other will learn SOMETHING more than if they did no-contact kicky-kicky point sparring.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/23/2008 11:15pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If practice involves even medium contact strikes, combined with takedowns and submissions, in a competitive environment...well, that's the seeds of aliveness.
    There is a difference between me and friends learning something as opposed to TEACHING that same one seminar "aliveness" to others. That is the basis of my rather obvious questions.

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 8:10am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a difference between me and friends learning something as opposed to TEACHING that same one seminar "aliveness" to others. That is the basis of my rather obvious questions.
    Absolutely. I think the problem here is the ATA model itself. Compare:

Traditional Jujitsu method: Teacher teaches a technique, you learn and spar. Years pass. Eventually you teach those techniques.

ATA method: Teacher teaches a technique. You trust it works. Years pass. Eventually you teach what you remember of the techniques that you haven't practiced versus a resisting opponent. Half of it is guesswork. There's a seminar on MMA/Krav Maga/new weapon/absolutely different fighting system. You teach these new techniques with the same confidence as the old ones!

The inclusion of new techniques into the ATA seems broken.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 10:08am

Style: AMAI TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

As part of the liscense agreement to open up an ATA school or club, a school can not teach anything other than ATA TKD without written permission from ATA HQ. The ATA MMA seminar was not a certification course.

Worst case scenario, ATA HQ wants them to attended (pay for) their Protech Groundfighting course before letting their untrained instructors teach this stuff. Best-case scenario, ATA HQ is generating interest for MMA (because many ATAers will not look outside their own school or organization), getting instructors to start seeking grappling training, and prepping the organization for a quality program.

One of the trainers at the ATA-MMA seminar was an amature fighter from my region. Personally, I think the ATA should pick 2 or 3 people in each region to head up a grappling/MMA program. Have all the schools in the region come to their program heads for training over 3 years. After that, they are able to introduce grappling/MMA to their schools and the ATA could start a grappling division at their tournaments to encourage competition and raise the quality of the program.

It would take longer, but I think it would do a better job of producing quality training.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 10:13am

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, that would be a reasonable approach.

But hasn't the history of the ATA shown us that they are not very interested in taking a gradual approach that over time increases the quality of their programs, instead they seem more interested in fast tracking, which quickly improves the quality of their bank accounts?
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3910111213 1415 LastLast