All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    2/05/2008 9:14pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman34
    While no one can doubt a WWE guys atheletic ability, you cant really say that being the HW Champion of the WWE is an accomplishment. Its all fake, and the outcome is predetermined. How is someone handing you a title that was written in a script an accomplishment?
    Thats like saying that Will Ferrell is an accomplished NASCAR driver after he won in Talledega Nights.

If they won the BJJ world or National Championships, are former Olympic Gold Medalists, Judo World Champs then yeah...but WWE? Thats a stretch dont ya think?
    The outcome of a ballet is "fake" but the athleticism of performers in top companies is acknowledged, right?

The STORYLINE of wrestling is fake - the athletic performance being put on is not. The hitting and combat are "fake" but the athleticism required to do what wrestlers in the WWE do is not fake. I don't think it's inappropriate to point out someone's WWE accomplishments/participation, anymore then it would be if they were a crossover from some other, less directly completive sport.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    2/05/2008 9:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    The outcome of a ballet is "fake" but the athleticism of performers in top companies is acknowledged, right?
    I agree. I even said so in my post. The ability to do back flips, lift a 250 pound man over your head and hold him there, and all the other feats they accomplish, leaves little leeway to argue that they ARENT athletes.

The STORYLINE of wrestling is fake - the athletic performance being put on is not. The hitting and combat are "fake" but the athleticism required to do what wrestlers in the WWE do is not fake. I don't think it's inappropriate to point out someone's WWE accomplishments/participation, anymore then it would be if they were a crossover from some other, less directly completive sport.
    Thats my point. The STORYLINE makes them the WWE HW Champ, and not any atheletic skills.

The skills make them a Pro Wrestler, the Storyline makes them the Champ.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    2/05/2008 9:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, but the belts aren't just passed around round robin. They aren't a competitive award, but they are basically an award for being an exceptional pro wrestler.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    2/05/2008 9:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, but the belts aren't just passed around round robin. They aren't a competitive award, but they are basically an award for being an exceptional pro wrestler.

How is one judged "exceptional" when they win based on a script? Is it done by who is the most popular?

Those belts are worthless IMO. You dont earn one, all you have to do is show up, trust me I take TKD, I know all about showing up.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    2/05/2008 9:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman34
    How is one judged "exceptional" when they win based on a script? Is it done by who is the most popular?

Those belts are worthless IMO. You dont earn one, all you have to do is show up, trust me I take TKD, I know all about showing up.

My understanding is it's based on drawing power, performance, consistently showing well, enduring the working conditions, developing a character. The plotline written for your character is decided by your value and skill. In other words, the real belt is the plotline where you get the belt.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/06/2008 1:49am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My understanding is it's based on drawing power, performance, consistently showing well, enduring the working conditions, developing a character. The plotline written for your character is decided by your value and skill. In other words, the real belt is the plotline where you get the belt.
    Gotta go with JC on this one. I used to work with an indy wrestling promotion. The belt doesn't mean a thing, it's the extra exposure, longer matches, etc that come with at that are the main selling points. Basically means the promoter thinks you can entertain the folks and put asses in seats, sort of like the Tony Awards.

Genius

Posted On:
    2/06/2008 3:04am

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Which is very subjective and dependent on the views of uneducated morons, who are the fans of the venue. It has a little to do with athleticism but more to do with being a caucasian, redneck hero.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2008 3:05am

Style: BJJ (on hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Understand Lesnar is a fucking athlete.

<object width="425" height="355"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs9j9wjpX9w type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2008 11:32am

Style: BJJ, JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    HERE COMES THE PAIN!!!!!! Belts in pro wrestling are awarded on how marketable your look is, and how good you are on the microphone. Several abysmal pro wrestlers like the Ultimate Warrior have been champion.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    2/06/2008 12:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If Will Smith or Sylvester Stallone were to enter the ring should they be billed as "former heavyweight boxing champion of the world"?

I'll admit, I loath pro wrestling, but even I won't deny their athleticism. I do think however that it's inappropriate to mention Brock Lesnar's "world champion" status in the same context as Frank Mir's, in fact it's pretty insulting.
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 45678 9101112 ... LastLast