Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2012 5:40pm

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    What's an "Uncle Albert"?
    He's a character from a popular UK sitcom of the 80s & 90s. He served in the Navy in the Second World War and frequently regaled his family with possibly embellished tales of his exploits from his time at sea. I'm guessing the OP was implying that Mr Benfell was prone to similar ramblings of his martial arts exploits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncle_Albert

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2012 5:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't really understand this "Ryukyu Association of Karate & Gung fu" crowd.

I study a Ryukyu art in the UK so presumably I could join up. I can't see what I get for my £20 annual membership though?

Posted On:
    3/23/2012 6:35pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thrutch View Post
    I don't really understand this "Ryukyu Association of Karate & Gung fu" crowd.

I study a Ryukyu art in the UK so presumably I could join up. I can't see what I get for my £20 annual membership though?
    "Gung Fu" ?? Hardly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2012 7:01pm

Style: Shaolin, Goshin Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryukyu-01 View Post
    This post has only recently come to our attention and to read this rubbish about Hanshi Benfell is unbelievable.
    I would question the so called evidence that this baimei has that questions any of Hanshi Benfell's grades or training lineage.
    Sadly, Hanshi Benfell (10th Dan) passed away in October of last year so he can not answer these allegations for himself.
    However, we at the Ryukyu Association of Karate & Gung fu would be very happy to discuss these allegations in person at our Dojo at anytime.
    Please feel free to contact us via our web site or alternatively post a full apology and withdraw your allegations immediately.
    Welcome to Bullshido,

Sorry to hear about the passing of Hanshi Benfell.

However, you have to realise that there's nothing even remotely illegal or disrespectful about asking questions. I can guarantee you that this thread is not being deleted. They don't do that here.

Additionally, I just googled the late Hanshi and found what I assume is the website for your club. In the lengthy biography, I found the following paragraph:

"This author made the mistake of asking how many styles and recognised grades Hanshi Benfell has. He presented a suitcase full of certificates too numerous to fully list here. Included are: recognition of his 9th Dan in To Te Jutsu into the World Head of Family by the Sokeship Council; recognition of his 9th Level Gung-Fu by the World Martial Arts Master Society; 9th Dan Kempo Karate by the World Nibuikai Budo Federation; Shaolin Kempo 8th Level; International Chinese Boxing Chuan Tao Kempo Federation 8th Level; 8th Level gold sash from the World & Hong Kong Federation of Chinese Martial Arts; etc. etc.!"

You HAVE to realise that this is ridiculous, don't you? He has just listed 51 black belts, in 6 different arts (I assume... it's not clear when he uses catch all terms like 'gong fu' to designate an art within which he has a rank) followed with the words etc etc!

According to the same bio, Hanshi Benfell was born in 1947. That means if he was still alive today he'd be 65. Does that sound realistic to you? AT LEAST 51 backbelts in AT LEAST 6 different arts, at under 65 years of age? Does the fact he has numerous 8th and 9th dan belts not strike you as a little... unbelievable?

They should, because AT LEAST one of the awarding bodies is notoriously a 'pay to play' organisation. I haven't researched the others, largely because it would be overkill.

Claims like this, as well as claims to have studied under the forefathers of Japanese martial arts in Britain (like Abbe, Otani and Enoeda) are remarkable, and therefore, require remarkable evidence.

You obviously believe all the info in the bio... can I ask you why? Do you have any evidence to back your Hanshi's claims up?

I don't mean any disrespect to your former teacher. He may well have been a good man. But, if this were not MABS, and I had to make some kind of guess about him based on the info available, I would have to conclude he was full of ****. As would any other sensible person who googled his name.

If you want to protect Hanshi Benfell, you should try to use rationality and facts to convince me, and all these other skeptics, otherwise.

P.S all info above taken from this site:
    http://www.eye-cast.co.uk/ryukyu/www...n_benfell.html
    Last edited by battheo; 3/23/2012 7:02pm at . Reason: to add link to original, damning, content

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2012 7:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon View Post
    "Gung Fu" ?? Hardly.
    Hardly what?

Posted On:
    3/24/2012 5:50am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Firstly, it's good to see so many people are prepared to investigate fraudulent people within martial arts.
    This is a good thing and I'm behind you all the way.

Secondly, we are happy to answer any questions anybody may have and present our evidence regarding Hanshi Benfell. Please feel free to contact us through our web site.

You may think I'm blinkered when it comes to Hanshi Benfell and I'd probably agree with you, however I can promise you all that we will be investigating any questions raised ourselves and I will post any findings, good or bad, on this forum.

And for those who have nothing constructive to add to this thread, jog on.

Posted On:
    3/24/2012 2:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thrutch View Post
    Hardly what?
    Well, it was curious that with he emphasis on Japan/Okinawa re Karate he/they also felt the need to include the Chinese term of Gung Fu (Bruce Lee's preferred term rather than Kung Fu - which the average layman might associate with MA + China).

If it's preferred MA style is Karate, and its lineage from Okinawa or Japan, why use a Chinese term?

That said, it might just be an 'umbrella' term to capture the interest/attention of an uninformed novice looking for (hopefully) respectable MA instruction.

To my eye, it looks like Karate and not Gung Fu/Kung Fu.
    Last edited by Eddie Hardon; 3/24/2012 2:40pm at . Reason: typos

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/24/2012 2:59pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryukyu-01 View Post

Secondly, we are happy to answer any questions anybody may have and present our evidence regarding Hanshi Benfell. Please feel free to contact us through our web site.
    Actually, this is an old thread YOU decided to bump. People are questioning YOUR MOTIVES in bringing this 4 year old thread back to life. Besides myself, most of the people no longer post. Yes, that includes the person who started this thread.

You may think I'm blinkered when it comes to Hanshi Benfell and I'd probably agree with you, however I can promise you all that we will be investigating any questions raised ourselves and I will post any findings, good or bad, on this forum

And for those who have nothing constructive to add to this thread, jog on.
    You made a passive aggressive threat, added nothing constructive and added some insults. So if they need to jog you better join them.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 3/24/2012 3:03pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2012 5:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon View Post
    Well, it was curious that with he emphasis on Japan/Okinawa re Karate he/they also felt the need to include the Chinese term of Gung Fu (Bruce Lee's preferred term rather than Kung Fu - which the average layman might associate with MA + China).

If it's preferred MA style is Karate, and its lineage from Okinawa or Japan, why use a Chinese term?

That said, it might just be an 'umbrella' term to capture the interest/attention of an uninformed novice looking for (hopefully) respectable MA instruction.

To my eye, it looks like Karate and not Gung Fu/Kung Fu.
    Understood, and very similar to what I was wondering.

"Ryukyu Gung/Kung Fu" is a bit of a misnomer I think. I doubt very many people have called any Okinawan martial art "kung fu" since the seventeenth century or thereabouts. Having only met a couple of Okinawan martial artists though I am happy to be proved wrong.

I still don't see what I'd get for my £20 association membership fee. Perhaps their representative here could tell me?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast