Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    2/04/2008 8:05am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LI Guy...I think it's more of a function of how much you overmatch your opponent when those things work. Your "alive" training gives you the skill, timing, and prescience necessary to pull off those lower-percentage moves on unskilled opposition. When I was a bouncer, I used wristlocks all the time, but they never seem to work on anyone with real training.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2008 8:16am

Style: musabetsu kakuto & booj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    do you go out and purposely seek out "street fights"? if so, methinks you need to get some help.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2008 8:36am

Style: Bowie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trubble
    do you go out and purposely seek out "street fights"? if so, methinks you need to get some help.
    Why?

Who cares what he does for entertainment? If he's fighting other folks who are also fighting for entertainment (which seems to be what most "street fights" are - bored folks finding a way to get pissed at each other so they can fight), then who cares?

It's when it spills over and hurts otherwise innocent people that it should be condemned such as in this case:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/n/con...8fatalweb.html

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    2/04/2008 9:41am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No I do not fight for entertainment, however when I rarely do fight it is entertaining. Also, I figured I would share it with everyone b/c I was like "I just wristlocked a guy" and that was funny.

Other points noted. Scrapper seems to have a good enough explanation.

^ the answer to life

Posted On:
    2/04/2008 10:00am

Style: bjj/(not enough)MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LI GUY 1
    No I do not fight for entertainment, however when I rarely do fight it is entertaining. Also, I figured I would share it with everyone b/c I was like "I just wristlocked a guy" and that was funny.
    Other points noted. Scrapper seems to have a good enough explanation.
    if you didn't point that out to the guy by screaming "LOLZ STOP WRISTLOCKING YOURSELF! STOP WRISTLOCKING YOURSELF!!!" over and over again then it wouldn't be that funny.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2008 10:22am

Style: Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wristlocks and such seem to have a decent effect when you have established urself as the dominant part. Also I've noticed that people with authority like cops and to a degree even bouncers can use these kind of techniques efficiently when the other part has given into the authority of somekind, subconcious or not.

^ the answer to life

Posted On:
    2/04/2008 10:23am

Style: bjj/(not enough)MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by urasj
    Wristlocks and such seem to have a decent effect when you have established urself as the dominant part. Also I've noticed that people with authority like cops and to a degree even bouncers can use these kind of techniques efficiently when the other part has given into the authority of somekind, subconcious or not.
    so wristlocks = effective after subduing the bad guy? OMG

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2008 11:29am

Style: Sub-wrestling, mostly...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To be honest I was once wrist locked in the guard of a guy who was physically and technically much better off than I was. Even though I'm quite sure he could choose any submission and catch me with it, I still felt a bit dirty tapping out to a technique that's mocked so much around here.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2008 12:30pm

Style: JJJ/TSD/MT/BJJ/TLA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HearWa
    To be honest I was once wrist locked in the guard of a guy who was physically and technically much better off than I was. Even though I'm quite sure he could choose any submission and catch me with it, I still felt a bit dirty tapping out to a technique that's mocked so much around here.
    I think everybody who's ever had a solid wristlock applied to them knows that they can and do hurt like a bitch. The big problem with them is getting them in the first place. Getting them firmly, I should say. At most times until it's fully sunk in, it's not hard to twist out.

Posted On:
    2/04/2008 12:52pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am not too surprised that you are finding applications that work for your TMA. You have reached a level where you can actually fight and that opens up a lot of possibilities. A lot of the slamming of traditional arts comes from outrageous claims of being deadly in a uncontrolled environment while being completely vulnerable on the mat or in the ring. Even the multiple opponent scenario might be possible for someone who can actually fight a single opponent.

The other note I would make is that I do not believe the development and advancement of MMA is done. After, the first 5 UFCs I would hardly have believed a day would come when we would see spinning kicks and flying armbars used in cage fights. We all like to see ourselves at the top of history but the future is always full of surprises. Who knows what techniques may show up in the cage in the future?
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast