Troll. 4/10

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    2/03/2008 2:12am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You want MMA to be like boxing? You want it to be splintered into multipule organizations so there is undisputed champion and incredibly corrupt? And I know it's really popular to hate Dana White but he's one of the people who built this sport and he's one of the people helping make it popular (which to some people is a bad thing but that is for a different thread). And who cares if he was a rich kid. That has nothing to due with anything.
    If the UFC ever does become as big as boxing or pro-wrestling it will be because of Dana White.

Of all the people to get into MMA you want the Big Show, whose one claim to fame is being huge and Mike Tyson because aparently MMA fighters don't have a bad enough reputation.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    2/03/2008 2:13am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pick one: troll or idiot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2008 2:49am

Style: ex-wrestler, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razamataz
    Pick one: troll or idiot.
    Both. His arguments suck, and he allegedly forgets that he mentions pro wrestling, in the title no less! And he doesn't argue your points, he will just call you a redneck when you mention the pro wrestling portion of his initial post. And he clearly knows next to nothing about boxing and pro wrestling.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2008 6:02am

Style: BJJ (on hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, the problem is that a rich guy's rich friends bought the UFC, saved it from bankruptcy, consolidated the best talent in the world under one roof in just over three years and you are complaining that Paul Wight and Mike Tyson are not part of MMA because of money, even though both of their careers were practically OVER when UFC took off?

If you are going to blame anyone for UFC's low pay and lack of high quality talent blame the UFC's former owners who took a great concept and managed to run it into the fucking ground by characterizing it as 'two men enter, one man leaves!'

Idiot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2008 10:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I gotta agree with the people who say that Dana White, although he may be a douche, is still doing a pretty damn good job with the UFC considering the state it was in when he took it over. I don't think the fight cards are as bad as you make them out to be since every event has had several good fights, although there were some turds mixed in the bunch. You are going to get that with any card in any sport. They can't all be gems 100% of the time.

As for the argument that there is more money in pro wrestling and boxing than there is in MMA, it is true that at the top levels you do get paid more. If you are in the WWE and perform at the top of the card then you will get a hell of a lot of money thanks to the merchandising. I am sure that T-shirt sales and action figures help pad the salaries nicely. Boxing, of course, has high pay at high levels. I don't know anything about boxing at a lower level, but I am pretty sure that MMA as an up and comer pays better than pro wrestling as indie wrestlers get paid absolute ****.

Posted On:
    2/03/2008 10:28am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nearly all professional athleticism and entertainment work on a star system.

Most actors are unemployed 98% of the year. The median advance for a first paperback novel is $5000. Tons of basketball players end up doing little better than going to Portugal to play when the NBA has no use for them, and farm team baseball players may as well be cutting lawns for a living.

Sure, Dana White is obviously a horrible little man — perhaps even as horrible as a Don King or Vince McMahon — but that's a structural problem. National cablecasting tends to mean that big money players congegrate toward the top. Local promotions in sports get swamped out by the national promotions. Thus, the WWE can make lots of money, while minor groups struggle to fill VFW halls with their rosters of fat hasbeens, local yokels, and the occasional diamond in the rough.

Not much that can be done about it, though I suppose fighters can attempt to organize a union, like ballplayers, for greater benefits and salaries instead of just the informal "locker room" bonuses that often serve as a carrot on a string. I don't imagine that happening any time soon for a variety of reasons.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    2/03/2008 10:31am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's my uninformed opinion. After all, one more couldn't hurt.

Dana White is a figurehead. The Fertitta brothers use him to deflect attention away from themselves. All the scrutiny that's focused on Dana leaves them free to make decisions based on their own interests, with Dana catching all the flak. Not a bad decision on their part.

To put it another way, Dana is the minority shareholder. Do you guys honestly believe he's at the helm of the UFC?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2008 1:48pm

Style: ex-wrestler, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    Here's my uninformed opinion. After all, one more couldn't hurt.

Dana White is a figurehead. The Fertitta brothers use him to deflect attention away from themselves. All the scrutiny that's focused on Dana leaves them free to make decisions based on their own interests, with Dana catching all the flak. Not a bad decision on their part.

To put it another way, Dana is the minority shareholder. Do you guys honestly believe he's at the helm of the UFC?
    Absolutely he's not. White own's 10% of Zuffa, whereas the Fertitta's own the remaining90% (45% each).

To Chimaira:

Up and coming boxers get payed basically the same as up and coming MMA fighters. Which is probably 500-1000 bucks a fight. Depending on the promoter of the fight. But both of them make more than up and coming wrestlers, who many times will make no money (not exagerating, literally zero dollars) for bookings just to get their feet wet, to $50. Again, depending on the promoter and possibly how they do at the live gate (which is usually bad).

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/03/2008 2:14pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dade_Murphy
    HappyOG (ur tag here on out) - Did you know that Dana was a wealthy kid... or did that get washed away by his retarded look. Yes his daddy was fucking wealthy, I went to prestigious NE prep schools and know his decerebrate family. Not personally mind you, but by reputation. Notice his wiki page makes his look like a self made man. We'll fix this soon.
    And what the **** do all of these facts had anything to do with the other retarded points you tried to make?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast