I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    2/02/2008 9:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Full contact Aikido and aiki boxing 3

This was being discussed in an other thread but I thought I would start a new one because I don't think a lot of people on here saw these vids and they're worth looking at.

Aiki boxing 3 is the fellows at www.usaikido.com attempt to actually use aikido against western style striking and resistance.

The other vid is one I fund recently of something out of Japan called full Contact aikido where they use Kyokushin style striking and Aikido style throws. All the text about them is in Japanese so I don't know much about them.

Also please dear god can we avoid the same statements.

Yes the boxing in aiki boxing isn't great, so what their goal isn't to beat PBF but make aikido functional against more realistic strikes.

Yes they could just study MMA but again that's not the point.

So please don't derail this thread by bringing up these topics.

Here's Aiki boxing 3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6Q8ShKpM1Q

My biggest comment to those guys which I posted on Youtube is that while nice to see they still need to find someway of allowing the Aikidoist to counter strike to set up the throws. Yoshinkai is all about punching someone in the face to make them move in the direction they want to throw. I hope these guys get the thick MMA style gloves and add that next

Full Contact Aikido
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co3lqQxkUwA
    These guys counter punch but no head shots so it seems that most of the throws are kote geshi style throws as they keep thier hands in close.

Someone might say that regardless the throws don't look very aikidoish but I think this is also a result of the thrower knowing what's going on and how to counter it.

Both styles of resistant sparring however IMO would be good for Aikidoka to use to actually pull off Aikido in a real situation especially against someone who doesn't know whats coming.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2008 3:46am

Style: No gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i like the second video a lot more. the first one looked like the puncher wasn't fully resisting.

it's a step in the right direction. if all aikido players trained this way i think it would really improve the art.

p.s. i'm suprised nobody died in the videos since it's "too deadly" to spar

p.p.s. on further thought they all probably died off camera

Keeping you safe from Mongolians

Posted On:
    2/03/2008 6:04am

Style: Sanda/Taijiquan *Hiatus*

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, well thats a step in the right direction.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    2/03/2008 6:57am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Joe, this stuff's been posted before.

Posted On:
    2/03/2008 7:50am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Simio de las Rocas
    Joe, this stuff's been posted before.
    Well Aiki boxing 1-2 were posted before I don't remember seeing #3 z( very possible I missed it) and #3 is the best one so far with the aiki boxing.

And the hentakai full contact aikido I haven't seen.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2008 8:50am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The guys in Aikiboxing 3 need to get it together. How can you do 3 vids and not figure something out? That leads me to the conclusion that their style is lame and needs more strikes and instruction in applying throws in real life situations.
    At least they're trying, but... if those guys are higher ranks, they need to come back with something that shows they have figured out something effective.
    The second video reminds me more of judo, with the counter to throws that they know.

Posted On:
    2/03/2008 10:33am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Someone brought up to me their opinion that the people in these vids, especially aiki boxing have sucky Aikido.

Even though I believe one of them is an 8th degree BB in tomiki.

i feel it's a pointless discussion as to whether they suck or not at Aikido because there really isn't anything to measure them against.

By that I mean what other vids are there of Aikido being applied against true random aliveness that look better?

So the people may or may not suck but until someone does something better against true resistance and not a cooperative demos that looks better than them there's nothing to measure it against.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    2/03/2008 11:28am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Adam,

Which method of aikido do you study, whom is your teacher, what grade do you presently hold, how long have you continuously studied.

Thank you.

Posted On:
    2/03/2008 11:45am

Style: Lethargy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First video is compliant - boxer does his "combo" then leaves his arm out for the Aikidoka to grab hold of.

Second video - both have their hands at their waist and are focusing on wrist grabbing.

A good idea in theory but it seems to be an exercise in validating their training rather than pressure testing.
    Quote Originally Posted by sochin101
    Dude, whassup? Did they freeze your dick then accidentally use it to cool down a thimble full of water? Or, did you mis-spell crayonist? You know, the guy who makes sure the wax crayons you use aren't too sharp in case you decide to do the decent thing and kill yourself.
    Training log. Here

JFS vs The Villain here

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    2/03/2008 11:55am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is anyone, either experienced in aikido or not as the case may be, going to point out the sole and very OBVIOUS problem with what these guys are attempting to acheive ?

Think about what aikido's primary or fundamental principle of application is and what's not happening.. more importantly why its not happening... C'mon guys this ain't rocket science.

--Dave

PS I'll give you a clue..
    Here's the kanji for it LOL 崩し
    Last edited by Rock Ape; 2/03/2008 11:58am at .
Page 1 of 27 1 234511 ... LastLast