Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A quick search of Rice reveals... **** I won't be doing:

Rice Aikido Club
    http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~aikido/

Rice Karate Club
    http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~konspe/

TAEKWONDO CLUB, RICE WTF, practices Taekwondo, or Tae Kwon Do, which is a Korean martial art that focuses on kicks. The Rice Taekwondo Club practices WTF style Taekwondo (World Taekwondo Federation).
    Could be cool:

FENCING CLUB practices fencing with foils, epees, and sabers. No experience necessary.
    Tuesdays, 7:30-9:30 at Autry West Gym
    Oh **** no:

RICE OBJECTIVIST CLUB is a group of students who are interested in discussing and/or learning about the literary and philosophical works of the author Ayn Rand, and examining her ideas in the context of today's world.
    Jackpot:

WRESTLING CLUB aims to provide an outlet for students interesteed in participating in the sport of freestyle and catch (submission) wrestling.
    Contact: Justin Ho (Philosophy) 713-201-2597 / justinho OR William Hockaday (Earth Science) x-4114 / bill.hockaday
    I'm going to have to work on weaseling my way in.
    I'm picturing you drooling onto the keyboard as you type, one eye rotating independent of the other as your hands mash the keys. - Sophist

Rowsdower!

Posted On:
    2/02/2008 7:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: On Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Be sure to visit the TWO Starbucks located right across the street from each other in River Oaks (as made famous by Lewis Black in one of his stand-up bits).

The Landmark River Oaks theater is a really cool place to check out if you're into midnight movies. It's a small theater (which I like) and has a bar (which I also like):

http://www.landmarktheatres.com/Mark...n_Frameset.htm

Of course, you could one-up the movie-and-booze route by going to the Alamo Drafthouse at West Oaks, where you can order food AND beer while you watch a movie. Plus, children under 6 aren't alllowed at all, so you don't have to worry about crying babies:

http://www.drafthouse.com/westoaks/

Back to martial arts... Rice has an Aikido, Karate, and WTF TKD club, but no jiu-jitsu or MMA clubs to speak of. The University of Houston has a good MMA club, but their practice space is VERY small and parking at the university is a bitch, so it probably wouldn't be worth it for you to go there. Sorry I can't be any more helpful...

EDIT: Ah, I see you beat me to the Rice info. Sorry I didn't catch the wrestling club bit, that's kind of a big oversight on my part. Just keep in mind that if you go to rice, you'll have to pay for parking (most likely in an outlying lot) as well as a recreation center drop-in fee, not to mention any kind of mat fee the wrestling club may charge.
    Last edited by Kid Miracleman; 2/02/2008 7:17pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2008 11:00pm

Style: JJJ/TSD/MT/BJJ/TLA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Miracleman
    Elite Martial Arts is a good place, I know a guy from the club I used to frequent (the University of Houston MMA Club) who trains/has trained there. Don't know what their open mat policy is or how much they charge for mat use, though. You could also try out the Houston Metro Fight Club, which is close to the University of Houston.

On another note, while you're in Houston you should try eating at Niko Niko's, which is a good Greek restaurant on Montrose, as well as This is It Soul Food on West Gray.
    I e-mailed Elite Martial Arts when I was going to be in Houston for work... I didn't get to go, but they were super nice folks, called me up and asked all about where I was from, what I was interested in... they pretty much said to just show up to any class I was interested in. Said not to worry about it if I was just in for one, and we could work something out if I got the chance to do more. So I'll bet they've got no trouble with doing a mat fee.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2008 11:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Rice has a BJJ/Judo club. That would probably the easiest thing.

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    2/03/2008 2:04am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/03/2008 2:25am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am a recent Rice graduate, so perhaps I can shed some light on the matter.

There is a Judo / Jiu-Jitsu club on campus. Their website is www.ruf.rice.edu/~rjjc/

Complication: Rice's Rec Center is currently closed for renovations. I don't know what all of the clubs are doing. There is an e-mail address posted on the website, so you could ask if they are still meeting, and where. Don't be surprised if you don't get an answer--I've seen plenty of Rice clubs die out as members graduate.

I train at Bam Bam Martial Arts. I enjoy working there very much, but I guess it is on the pricey side. It is rather close to Rice campus (~10 min drive), and you should get a prompt answer from Scott (scott@bambammartialarts.com) if you want to ask about rolling there.

Posted On:
    2/03/2008 3:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rice JJ looks cool, but "Note for community members only:

the Rice Rec Center is enforcing its policy on outsiders coming into the gym" on their page suggests that all Rice clubs may be out. Emails away I guess. Elite is sounding like a good bet.
    I'm picturing you drooling onto the keyboard as you type, one eye rotating independent of the other as your hands mash the keys. - Sophist
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12